Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New (FL) law forbidding doctors to talk to patients about guns angers physicians

Mad Mike

Our moron gov. Rick Scott strikes again....

New law forbidding doctors to talk to patients about guns angers physicians

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2011/07/15/new-law-forbidding-doctors-to-talk-to-patients-about-guns-angers-physicians.html

Area doctors fear that a first-in-the-nation law prohibiting them from asking about guns in patients' homes unless there is a legitimate safety concern could put children at risk.

The law signed by Gov. Rick Scott took effect June 2. It forbids Florida doctors from inquiring about guns in a patient's home unless the information is "relevant to a patient's medical care or safety, or the safety of others."

Ormond Beach pediatrician Dr. Steven Sahai said the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends asking parents if there's a weapon in the house because it brings forth a conversation about safety and precautions that should be taken to prevent accidents.

"I can't help but think not having that conversation puts children at risk," Sahai said.

Can someone please explain to me how this is not a direct violation of the constitutional right to free speech? Note that there has never been a requirement for an answer. Gun owners have always had the right to say it is none of their doctors business. And who gets to define what is relevant?

Now if you want to propose a law stating that doctors cannot discriminate against, punish, or harass gun owners or those who refuse to answer a question about guns, I'm all ears. But for the government to dictate what questions a doctor can ask? On pure principle I say HELL NO.

That's not to say that there isn't plenty of stupid on both sides of this argument.

If I were a pediatrician, I would post signs all over the office warning about the dangers of guns that are accessible to children and make gun safety part of any talk I had about child safety with all new parents. No questions. I would just tell them the risks and make it clear that children have a knack for getting into things they shouldn't. That way I haven't violated any law no matter how stupid, and I'm covering my bases for new parents who may later buy a gun.

For more info, a more even handed approach to the story, and an example of plagerism* by my local newspaper go to the AP article here.

http://www.newser.com/article/d9of0l0g1/florida-law-restricts-when-doctors-can-ask-patients-about-guns-judge-to-decide-if-law-is-ok.html

*Found in both storys...

Gun rights supporters who pushed for the new law believe questions about gun ownership are an invasion of privacy and say some people have been dropped by doctors simply because they refused to talk about firearms.

I thought all Republicans were against government interference in the health industry, favor letting the private sector regulate it. Guess not. So when it comes to finding a way to get affordable insurance to millions of uninsured, all against it, do nothing. But when it comes to a political cause, in this case guns, then all bets are off and they use government to regulate. Do I have this right?

As a pediatrician, this pisses me off to no end. I spent half a day early in my residency picking duckshot pellets out of the face of a 7 year old child. Gun safety assessment should be a part of every well child visit.

Okay trying to re-write this;

I don't understand what the commotion is all about. I would think this was common sense.

A doctor cannot try and dissuade you from owning a gun unless there is a safety concern for the children.

I could see doctors pitting wives agains husbands or husbands agains wives. No reason for the doctor to intrude based on thier political belief.

I definitely agree if there is a safety concern like the husband is abusive and the wife is trying to get a gun, the doctor can be another voice that tells her nothing good could come from that and the results will probably be a death and jail.

No different than a doctor asking if a child is in danger. Would seem to be a .05% profile though and not something that should be happening enough to cause a law for nor against.

I have to be missing something as there are so many sarcastic potshots at Republicans?

My libertarian leaning says: Leave people alone unless there is a substantial reason.

And the First Amendment comments: Doctors are not the government and the first amendment should not be invoked as being abused. Even a Giants receiver should be allowed to be dumb enough to shoot himself in the ass! Just not in public and putting others at risk.

Good quick edit, TB. I was going to give you both barrels on your First Ammendment stance. Ah, you've edited your edit.

To me, any time a government tries to restrict any individuals in their right to speak it is worth noting. The act of the government censoring opinions whether popular or unpopular is pretty much opposite to the spirit of America and has been pretty much since its inception.

Also, trying to understand this. The libertarian in you wants the government to add more restrictions to individuals and businesses?

JMO but I find that libertarians tend to interpret libertarian ideals in ways that make them fit their own personal beliefs. When pressed on this, they tend to fall back on the argument that they are libertarians, not Libertarians.

I'm not saying this is Thiebear's argument. Just a general observation.:evilg:

Makes no sense,though getting a weapons lecture from a pediatrician really does not either.

Making the dangers known is a good thing,but dropping a patient that will not talk about it seems extreme.

ain't ya'll got better things to do in your legislature?.....maybe ya need to go to the two yr plan;)

This is stupid. But Mike, I assume you SUPPORTED the wasteful rail program?

You mean this one? :D

Gov. Rick Scott approves SunRail project

http://www.wdbo.com/news/news/local/breaking-gov-rick-scott-pass-sunrail-project/nC3KM/

Several U.S. Representatives have voiced their opinions on Scott’s approval for the project, projected to improve transportation for Florida and create jobs.

“I commend the Governor for moving forward and joining with local and federal partners in approving this transportation milestone,” said U.S. Rep. John L. Mica,Chairman of the House Transportation Committee. “Thousands of jobs will be directly created by the construction of SunRail, and even more employment will be generated by responsible corridor development.”

Congresswoman Corrine Brown said the project will have a positive impact on Central Florida.

“I am glad to see that the Florida state government has decided to be a team player and work with local and federal government to improve our transportation system. The approval of Sun Rail will be crucial in putting the hard working people of Florida back to work and in decreasing the terrible congestion plaguing the entire Central Florida region,” Brown said.

Another supporter of the SunRail project, Volusia County Chair Frank Bruno says the new project will benefit the economies of every county in Central Florida.

“This is very good news for Volusia County and the entire region,” Bruno said. “Sun Rail is a needed transportation option now, but will be vital in the future as the Central Florida region continues to grow.”

I have my concerns, but yes. I do.

mike .is this comment from your article true?

We are now at 3 gov employees for every 1 private sector job in FL. With this Pelosi styled project maybe we can get to 4 to 1 or 5 to 1.

We are now at 3 gov employees for every 1 private sector job in FL. With this Pelosi styled project maybe we can get to 4 to 1 or 5 to 1.

Doesn't seem possible, but also doesn't seem related to the topic of the thread.

Doesn't seem possible, but also doesn't seem related to the topic of the thread.

anymore than the rail bit?

the topic is Florida govt is it not?...hardly a pediatrician thread

Maybe if you count every person who's working for a government contractor. And every person in Florida collecting Social Security. And every Doctor who takes Medicare. And . . .

I thought the topic was the title of the thread? But if it's larger than that I guess it's okay. If it's everything Florida it's certainly going to be a defuse scattershot and make as much sense as a Democratically designed butterfly ballot.

Edit: Re-reading the title and the OP, it certainly seems to be about Florida trying to censor doctors.

Archived