Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does 2011-2012 Salary Cap of $120M affect the Redskins?

timdaley73

I completed multiple searches and could not find anything on this specific topic...

With the apprent agreement on the 2011-2012 Salary Cap of $120M, how does this affect the Redskins? I hear it will hurt teams like Dallas. But, nothing about the Redskins. Anyone know?? Thanks.

We are in the novel position where we HAVE to spend money, not that we normally need an excuse. That does not all need to be spent on free agents we can also extend some of our young core players. Landry is an obvious candidate for an extension for example and it's also Fred Davis last year of his rookie deal. Then we have to sign the rookies although the rookie pay scale will make that a lot less expensive than previous years.

That brings us to free agents. We need a RG RT, WR, QB, DE, NT and CB not currently on the roster. Not for depth either, starters are needed at these spots (maybe Beck starts at QB but I'm not buying that yet). That should keep Bruce Allen occupied in the circa 3 weeks there figures to be to sign free agents.

From what I understand the $40M+ we need to spend is not a cap number but a payroll number. The cap is accounting fiction created by the CBA while the payroll number is one driven by actual cash payments made to the players in the given year. That is, we need to pay out over $40M more this season than we have scheduled but only have about $10M in cap space this season to do it. This means we will have to pro-rate over $30M to the cap over upcoming years (ie, back load contracts).

Archived