Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OWH: Cheerleading case stirs up dispute

China

just becuase someone is disabled, isnt an auto qualifier to let them do whatever they want. If you can't do something, you cant do it.

We don't let blind people drive just to be accomodating. We don't let Deaf people be a 911 dispatcher etc.

What about the girls who didn't make the team and they have arms/legs? How fair is it to them, that the school let this diabled girl cheer just to be accomodating, but not them? The school let her try out, and she didn't make the cut. end of story, imo.

As someone that coaches HS sports, it would be appreciated by some sports to have cheerleaders that actually want to be there and cheer. Many don't care about the games and are just on the team for social status.

Jim Abbott says "hi"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Beat me to it.

Also, at work, we just hired a guy who hasn't had the use of his left arm since birth, because of a stroke he had the day he was born. He pitched on his high school team, and was a (granted, mostly blocking) split end on his HS football team.

WTF, I want to be a pro basketball player, but I'm 5'10".

Sometimes you just can't do the job. The girl is in a wheelchair and wants to cheer. OK. DO we really need a lawyer arguing that there is discrimination? The girl can't kick. Cheerleeders kick and run around. Deal with the fact that you can't do it and you never will. Christ.

lol, JJ Barea would like to have a word with you!

IMG_3344.jpg

Yeah, well, I'm also 42. It must be age discrimination, lol.

lol :)

well i mean grant hill, juwon howard, jason kidd, and steve nash are all 38, whats 4 years? ;)

what's next, we allow someone without legs to play football?

oh, wait...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAn3xwETrbFrO-1CRt1gDZhNdSIQbFnaExsQdAnruYIh5XyMVIDA&t=1

barkley3.jpg

Even in competition, cheerleading is not a sport. If it were, there would be all kinda repercussions. Pen and Teller did a great Bull**** about it, where basically the entire cheerleading industry is run by one company. You should look it up.
Is nascar a sport?

What is a "sport"? Yeah, we have court rulings about cheerleading. But they don't say its not a sport, just that it's not a Title IX qualifying sport. I find a definition that says "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature". Anyone involved in competitive cheerleading can tell you it qualifies easily under that common definition of sport.

Cheering at games is different. Obviously she's not going to jump and kick, nor will she toss another girl into the air and catch her. She can still yell, and wave pompoms, and it should be possible to design formations where she can participate. I'm sure its being done somewhere, and the school could learn from that and make a place for her. But I don't think the school should be forced to do it.

As someone that coaches HS sports, it would be appreciated by some sports to have cheerleaders that actually want to be there and cheer. Many don't care about the games and are just on the team for social status.

In my experience in playing high school sports, that isn't specific to cheerleading. Every sport has a group of players who are more interested in the social aspect or there strictly due to talent.

---------- Post added July-14th-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

Beat me to it.

Also, at work, we just hired a guy who hasn't had the use of his left arm since birth, because of a stroke he had the day he was born. He pitched on his high school team, and was a (granted, mostly blocking) split end on his HS football team.

Jim Abbott and your co-worker aside. My point wasn't that disabled people COULDN'T play, but simply that they shouldn't play if they aren't better than other people. I'm sure there are cases where the disabled person deserves a spot on a sports team. I'm thrilled to see that. I basically want the best X players to make the team.

I think in this case it would be easier just to allowing her to be a cheerleader. No one else would expect you to change the rules for them and she would only be on the squad for a few years. Hell, put a extra spot on the squad for her.

That was my first thought and I think it might be the right thing to do. People with disabilities get mad because they want you to treat them the same and use the same rules, but when you do, they're quick to pull out the discrimination card. It's a no win situation. Just give her a special spot on the squad and that will make everyone happy.

Archived