Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: McConnell proposes giving Obama unilateral debt ceiling power

Bliz

Unexpected. What's his angle?

Make Obama do it alone so that he gets the baggage of raising the debt ceiling without Rs having to vote for it, because they recognize the importance of getting it done but can't vote for it for political reasons. Perhaps a recognition that Ds won't pass this thing without some concessions by Rs, and any concessions by Rs will bring "tea party" challengers and more headaches the GOP doesn't need.

That's the most obvious, anyway. But McConnell's no dummy. I imagine he has more than just that in mind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43725919/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

The top Republican in the Senate proposed on Tuesday giving President Barack Obama sweeping new power to, in effect, unilaterally increase the nation's debt limit to avoid a first-ever default on U.S. obligations.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., offered a new plan to allow the president to demand up to $2.4 trillion in new borrowing authority by the summer of next year in three separate submissions.

Those increases in the so-called debt limit would automatically take effect unless both the Republican-controlled House and the Democratic Senate enact legislation specifically disapproving it.

Obama would be able to veto such legislation.

The GOP plan would require that Obama submit spending cuts along with his borrowing requests. But unlike the increase in the debt limit, they wouldn't automatically take effect.

The new mechanism would take the place of the current White House debt negotiations among congressional leaders and Obama. Those talks over spending cuts and tax increases have grown increasingly acrimonious.

McConnell said he reluctantly offered the unusual proposal because it has become clear the negotiations with Obama aren't going anywhere.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he had spoken briefly to McConnell about the idea and said he would consider it.

The sweeping new power would only be in effect through the remainder of Obama's term.

McConnell's plan would permit an immediate increase in the debt limit of $100 billion while Congress debates whether to disapprove of it.

Yup, another small gov't move by the Republicans. Let's permanently expand the powers of the Executive. So much easier than debating and passing a bill or... aack compromising with the enemy.
The sweeping new power would only be in effect through the remainder of Obama's term.

Does that make it okay in your book? What a bunch of political cowards. That's basically a concession that they need to do something, but haven't the conviction or the honor to be a part of the solution. And do we really want a raising of the debt ceiling combined with zero spending cuts and zero revenue increases! Is anybody really in favor of that? Other than McConnell?

I just don't see how you get the tea party wing of the House to go along with this. Many of them weren't going to vote to raise the debt ceiling even if there were zero "revenue increases".

I don't like this because of the long term... I believe in checks and balances. I guess McConnell is willing to cede power of Congress to win politics?

Who'd a thunk it. The liberals represent small government and fiscal conservatism in this country these days. The Republicans big government and fiscal irresponsibility.

Does that make it okay in your book? What a bunch of political cowards. That's basically a concession that they need to do something, but haven't the conviction or the honor to be a part of the solution. And do we really want a raising of the debt ceiling combined with zero spending cuts and zero revenue increases! Is anybody really in favor of that? Other than McConnell?

Totally agree.

This is chicken****.

~Bang

Now, if McConnell and Republicans will agree to giving Obama the ability to raise or lower the Debt ceiling and determining the spending cuts and revenue increases that go along with that action, we might be talking.

Seriously though, this suggestion makes me think he should resign from government or be tossed on his ear. Do your job.

What's going on here is that the GOP is simply calling the President's hand. The Democrats have said that he has the power to do this. The President has time and time again called out the GOP for standing in the way and has really made them out to be the reason why we are seeing economic wows. The only reason the President is doing this is because he wants a political victory without taking too much risk. This is not necessarily a one way street. If, for example, the President and the Democrats are correct and the economy comes around because of this action, then the GOP has basically gotten the Dems re-elected in a landslide. However, if it fails, the Democrats can not blame the GOP for it's failure and will surely lose control of all branches come 2012. This move would amount to pushing all your chips to the center.

They aren't calling his hand. They are offering the power to raise the debt ceiling without being able to do a thing in terms of spending cuts or tax reform. Basically, they are offering the worst of all world. More debt and zero progress towards any solution.

It's pathetic beyond belief.

Honestly, anyone who votes for this ought to resign their seat. Do your job. Anyone who argues for this basically wants the U.S just to sink deeper in debt and for conditions to worsen. Do your job. Party before country. Disgusting.

They aren't calling his hand. They are offering the power to raise the debt ceiling without being able to do a thing in terms of spending cuts or tax reform. Basically, they are offering the worst of all world. More debt and zero progress towards any solution.

It's pathetic beyond belief.

I don't see it that way but I am not Liberal so I'm sure that is probably why. If you really believe that the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, then this represents the method by which to do that. I don't think you can blame the GOP if they do not want to be a party to raising taxes on America.

Unexpected. What's his angle?

Make Obama do it alone so that he gets the baggage of raising the debt ceiling without Rs having to vote for it, because they recognize the importance of getting it done but can't vote for it for political reasons. Perhaps a recognition that Ds won't pass this thing without some concessions by Rs, and any concessions by Rs will bring "tea party" challengers and more headaches the GOP doesn't need.

That's the most obvious, anyway. But McConnell's no dummy. I imagine he has more than just that in mind.

The GOP knows there is no choice but to raise the ceiling, so they want to hang it on Obama's neck going into next year, giving them all deniability. Obama needs to tell McConnell to get bent.

So, you want to raise the debt ceiling with no strings attached? You don't want to address the debt in any fashion whatsoever. You think is the proper conservative approach?

So, what happens if the Republicans give him this power. Expansion of the power of the executive branch, more debt, and an excuse for Congress to not address any changes in spending or revenue during the election season. Is that really what you view as a Conservative win?

The GOP knows there is no choice but to raise the ceiling, so they want to hang it on Obama's neck going into next year, giving them all deniability. Obama needs to tell McConnell to get bent.

agreed, This isn't about showing any hands. I'm surprised Obama has been willing to offer up as much we've heard.

If Obama had an Un-PC bone, this would be the time to do it. Basically quote McConnell. Then say in front of the cameras "If this is too big for you to handle, then step aside and let somebody else from your party run with it. You've been in Washington for over 25 years and seen the struggles of the 80's, the peaks of the 90's, and the result of the last round of tax cuts. If anybody would understand if they're not up to the task, its a old guard Washington insider like yourself...."

I don't think you can blame the GOP if they do not want to be a party to raising taxes on America.

No body wants to raise taxes on America...but the bill needs paid, and just cutting spending won't pay the past due balance, so yes I can blame them, in the same exact way that I blame someone when they get sued for not paying their credit card bills. You spent it, now pay for it, but that doesn't fit in their ideology, but unless they have a magic debt-removal spell hidden somewhere then taxes WILL have to go up...regardless of how many campaign promises the Tea Party made.

I don't see it that way but I am not Liberal so I'm sure that is probably why. If you really believe that the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, then this represents the method by which to do that. I don't think you can blame the GOP if they do not want to be a party to raising taxes on America.

I don't see it that way but I am not Republican so I'm sure that is probably why. ;)

There's a thing called negotiation. If McConnell, Boehner and friends want to give away the responsibility to come to the table and be adults, then they can give away the entire decision including what gets cut and what taxes get changed. Not just part of it. Either they're all in or they're all out, but you don't get to cut the football in half. LOL.

Bang is correct. This is a chicken-sh*t move by a guy who is torn between the tea party goofballs' pipe dreams and reality. McConnell seems afraid to pick a position, likely because he values the political game more than doing his job.

Giving away even more Congressional responsibility to the Executive? Small government, right? Zero chance that would remain temporary, by the way.

So, you want to raise the debt ceiling with no strings attached? You don't want to address the debt in any fashion whatsoever. You think is the proper conservative approach?

So, what happens if the Republicans give him this power. Expansion of the power of the executive branch, more debt, and an excuse for Congress to not address any changes in spending or revenue during the election season. Is that really what you view as a Conservative win?

I don't know if you are talking to me but no, this is not what I want. I would like to see a lot of things happen including a detailed plan for cutting spending. However, I have yet to see this happen and so, what is the alternative? The Administration has yet to show that it is serious about cutting spending. If the GOP agrees to raising the debt ceiling without cutting spending, they are basically doing the same thing you describe above in reverse. In order to get a real plan, spending cuts must happen.

For the GOP yes...because it's not about a short term win, it's about a 2012 win.

---------- Post added July-12th-2011 at 05:47 PM ----------

The Administration has yet to show that it is serious about cutting spending.

:ols: Seriously...that's where I stopped reading....:ols:

No body wants to raise taxes on America...but the bill needs paid, and just cutting spending won't pay the past due balance, so yes I can blame them, in the same exact way that I blame someone when they get sued for not paying their credit card bills. You spent it, now pay for it, but that doesn't fit in their ideology, but unless they have a magic debt-removal spell hidden somewhere then taxes WILL have to go up...regardless of how many campaign promises the Tea Party made.

I am not against paying for Bills but when your maxed out on your cards, you don't go out and get another card so that you can take a cruse or whatever the case may be. You stop eating out. You stop going to bars, you stop buying designer clothes, you cut spending. Until cuts are outlined by the President, the GOP is not going to go along with this. It's as simple as that. They will take their chances in the court of popular opinion.

There's a thing called negotiation.

And this is a part of the negotiation. So far, the Republicans and Democrats are at an impasse. Obama has repeatedly scolded the Republicans for being inflexible. So Mitch says, "Fine, we'll be totally flexible. We'll let you do it by yourself." Obama says, "Oh, hell no! You're not sticking me with this." And Mitch responds, "Ok, fine, but if you WANT us to be a part of the decision making process, you're going to have to give on taxes."

And it goes on and on until the deadline and they end up with whatever deal they can get.

Archived