Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lifehacker: Netflix changing Streaming and DVD plans

MattFancy

http://lifehacker.com/5820502/netflix-changing-streaming-and-dvd-plans

If you want two DVDs at a time, that will be $11.99. You can combine streaming and DVD delivery, but without any discount; so streaming plus one DVD at a time will be $15.98 a month or streaming plus two DVDs at a time $17.98 a month. Current subscribers have until Sept. 1 before the changes start; unfortunately, there will be no grandfathering.

Well this blows.

I just downgraded my service from 3 to 2 DVD's at a time. The streaming stuff is meh, eventually we'll get new movies streaming right away and that will make it worth ordering.

I dunno about that. If we can't even get the DVD/Blu-ray right away, I don't think we'll be able to stream them right away either.

Part of the reason we gave it up. Netflix just isn't worth it anymore. Increasing costs, have to wait for new movies to come out, poor selection on instant streaming. Just not worth it.

Same here. I had high hopes for the streaming but it failed miserably for me. It was especially disappointing because my TV has an Internet Widget for Netflix.

So I gave up and now I do Red Box. I find it fairly convenient since it has an online option to reserve a DVD at a location. That way I know its there waiting for me before I get in my car to go pick it up. I also have an iPhone app that does the same.

Dear Netflix,

**** you.

Maybe I will just go with Hulu and Hulu+

I tried Hulu Plus after I cancelled Netflix. I did the free trial. It also wasn't worth keeping. The free Hulu is good enough even though I can only watch it on my computer. I have an Internet Widget on my TV but its only for Hulu Plus.

How long is withholding these for a month going to really make people BUY the DVDs? Especially when its too easy to download Bluray quality files for free from the interwebs? I'd pay $15 a month for 1 DVD and streaming of new releases right away.

Its not that, its that not only has the price gone up, but now I have to wait a month to watch a movie. Its not so bad that you have to wait, cuz if I really want to see it, I'll buy it anyway, its that not only am I waiting, but you're charging me more money. And now you're charging me more money for the streaming service when there isn't really that many good movies to stream in the first place.

Its not that, its that not only has the price gone up, but now I have to wait a month to watch a movie. Its not so bad that you have to wait, cuz if I really want to see it, I'll buy it anyway, its that not only am I waiting, but you're charging me more money. And now you're charging me more money for the streaming service when there isn't really that many good movies to stream in the first place.

I don't know how DVD sales are doing. But I can't imagine they are blowing up. I think if Netflix loses a bunch of customers because of this, or a lot of people downgrade service. They will adjust again. If they raise the price again, more people will cancel.

I don't know how DVD sales are doing. But I can't imagine they are blowing up. I think if Netflix loses a bunch of customers because of this, or a lot of people downgrade service. They will adjust again. If they raise the price again, more people will cancel.

It just sucks because I've had Netflix for almost 3 years and my price has gone up from $10/month to $16/month and in that time I now have to wait a month for new releases. Sure they haven't given me anything extra and my price has gone up $2/month every year.

Does Netflix even have any competition? I'm surprised that another big name hasnt entered this market yet.

Tons of competition. Redbox, iTunes streaming, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon has a streaming service, and their biggest competitor is the movie industry themselves that limits them releasing new content in a timely manner and most importantly pirating of movies ...

Yeah, and if you don't do streaming, the one month wait turns into 2 months or more for the DVD. Even after the late Netflix release date, so many people will have a new movie in their queue that it takes forever and a day to get it. I've had a movie at the top of my queue for over 3 months on several occasions. By the time I get them I don't even care anymore.

I've had Netflix since 2007, but I think I'm going to cancel soon. I don't have internet at home so I can't even do that streaming stuff anyway. There are enough Redboxes near me that renting movies is easy. There's even a Blockbuster nearby that rents out movies for .49 on Sundays.

Does Netflix even have any competition? I'm surprised that another big name hasnt entered this market yet.

Blockbuster had a video delivery service similar to Netflix, I don't know if they're still in business though. In my opinion, Netflix's biggest competitor is OnDemand and the other cable/satellite PPV services. They have movies the day that they are released on DVD, sometimes earlier. That and the fact that they are in HD quality with Dolby Digital surround really goes a long way.

I cancelled my streaming account because the selection wasn't that great and it didn't seem like they were adding that many movies. Eventually, Netflix or another company will be able to stream almost every movie ever made at a reasonable price every month...IMO, it's the way the industry is going.

Has anyone tried the Amazon free movie service (if you are a Prime member)?

Was wondering if it was worth it.

I'm a Prime member. It's worth it for shipping, but not for streaming. They don't have nearly enough selection (yet?).

Still, it's great to get some streaming stuff for free when I just wanted to save shipping costs. Kudos to Amazon for that!

I use Hulu and xfinity to pretty good effect. But there's a reason :cool:.

Months ago I closed out a Comcast bundle and went to a Direct TV package, but I kept my Comcast e-mail and it turns out I overpaid them by $3.12. :)

So for months now I get a statement from Comcast showing me as an active customer with a credit balance of $3.12 but they never show any billing/new charges for me.

So when I go to the xfinity page I get all the HBO/Showtime/Starz etc (everything except Cinemax) programming on my PC for free. :D

This has kept me from turning to Netflix, though they have a more complete library of older and recently cancelled TV series.

Now granted, I experience my share of glitches (and it's not my system) on xfinity (with Google or IE) with loading any number of shows, but they seem to resolve themselves quickly enough.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Netflix streaming is great. Good selection and quality. Sucks the price keeps increasing though.

I'm with you, I don't see all the hate. The contracts they have to buy to get more stuff on streaming cost a lot, makes sense to me that they have to pump the price a little. How much more is it a month anyway 5 bucks? That's like buying one extra beer a month, what's the big deal?

Archived