Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What job for degree in philosophy

Slateman

So my wife has a degree in philosophy. And she needs ideas for a job. Besides having a useless degree, she also has a problem writing. She's not good at it. I believe she is somewhat dyslexic. Unless she tries really hard, her writing comes out dis joined and horribly misspelled.

She's a warm (though somewhat shy), intelligent woman. She has worked several jobs, though mainly while she was still in college. Toys R Us (retail), dog walking and ADT are among her jobs.

Any ideas?

Not trying to be rude to her, but my ex used to be a horrible writer as well. Writing has always been one of my strengths. I worked with her quite a bit, proofreading some of the papers she wrote in school, and later for work. She's actually very good now. Of course dyslexia makes it substantially more difficult to improve in that area, but poor writers absolutely can improve, with direction. I do think it's a shame that people can graduate with any kind of degree these days, and not be able to write their way out of a wet paper bag. But I wouldn't automatically dismiss that as a skill she "can't" have, based on my experience.

I agree with the others who have said to have her select a career based on her interests. It's cliche, but it's also true, that if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

It's also been my experience that philosophy majors are creative thinkers and problem solvers. She'd probably do best in a career that challenges her mentally.

I have an ex girlfriend who majored in liberal arts and I thought 'what a waste of time.' She's now making well into the six figures in sales. For that matter I think sales, real sales (i.e., professional sales) are a great path for liberal arts majors, many of these people already have the personality for it.

Or teacher. Not many real careers for that degree.

I was just joking based on some previous posts of his.

Sticking to topic though it really doesn't matter what your degree was in unless you're trying to work in a highly technical field. All most places care about is that you have a college degree and that you have work experience. Her career choices should be based on her interests. If she likes talking to people, look at customer service. If she likes being up on her feet and active, look at retail or something like that. If she likes organizing stuff and making sure things are going according to plan, look at project management or admin jobs. Etc, etc, etc. What did she do at ADT? Did she like it?

Also if she agrees that her writing is a problem then she should find some program or classes she can enroll in to improve that. Check out the local community college.

Don't undertsand how you can have a degree in philosophy and be a poor writer .. if thats the case then avoid law school, as writing is a huge component.

Outside of teaching, an undergrad degree in the liberal arts doesn't really uniquely prepare you for any career I can think of. The exception may be if you want to be a writer it helps to get a degree in English.

Archived