Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Just Told Off Directv.

DM72

They have taken the offers to "new customers" to a new high. Get this, they are now offering the NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE to new customers. That pisses me off considering I'm a long time subscriber to Directv and a long time subscriber to the NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess loyalty means nothing.

They have taken the offers to "new customers" to a new high. Get this, they are now offering the NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE to new customers. That pisses me off considering I'm a long time subscriber to Directv and a long time subscriber to the NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess loyalty means nothing.

And I will be taking full advantage of it so I may watch my beloved Redskins down here in FL :)

There is no free lunch so I'm sure some way we'll be paying for it.

And I will be taking full advantage of it so I may watch my beloved Redskins down here in FL :)

There is no free lunch so I'm sure some way we'll be paying for it.

Not if you're a new customer.

Hilarious timing, I just went through this. I have ALWAYS been successful at getting DTV to give me insane discounts, and even providing me with the new subscriber offer if agreeing to a new 2yr contract. Well...I just called a couple weeks ago to get in on that insane deal (free sunday ticket, free sunday ticket to go, free premier for 3 months, free showtime for a year, free whole home dvr, all new equipment - wireless capabilities for dtv cinema, $32/month for Choice Extra for a year) and they shut me down hard. Even emailed VP Cust Svc, they hit me back right away and offered me a ton of stuff, but stood firm on not honoring the new subscriber offer...and I've been a customer for like 10 years or something, minus an off year w/Comcast.

Very disappointing. However just know the DTV doesnt go by address to categorize a new subscriber, rather the name on your bill and your SS#.

The commercial and the operator just said new customers.

I meant to post that as a question.

You said you are a long time customer.

It said new customer, you are not a new customer. Where is the confusion ?

EDIT: da#1 said he got a deal and I am sure I would too. Telling them off doesn't help the situation.

I meant to post that as a question.

You said you are a long time customer.

It said new customer, you are not a new customer. Where is the confusion ?

EDIT: da#1 said he got a deal and I am sure I would too. Telling them off doesn't help the situation.

There's no confusion, just frustration. And not everybody gets those deals the other poster was talking about. How would you feel if your place of employment gave benefits to new comers that you don't get? It's kinda that samething.

I had already planned to live without NFL Sunday Ticket this season. If DTV wants to play tough on this issue, I'll still see my Redskins and plenty of other games. I only had it the past few seasons because of fantasy football. Oh well... :moon:

they are now offering the NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE to new customers. That pisses me off considering I'm a long time subscriber to Directv and a long time subscriber to the NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess loyalty means nothing.

Marketing 101

You get it with the Total Choice Xtra package for free for a year only. After that, you get to pay for it like everyone else.

It is the best sign-up offer they've ever had though. I know it stinks a bit for existing customer, but hey, I'm a DTV dealer and it's working just fine for me! I don't know what your cable options are around you, but even at having to pay for the package, a lot of people are saving half the package price over what they'd be paying for cable anyways.

What's with the outrage? They've been doing this for years and I've taken advantage of it twice - once at my parents house and once when I moved out.

They're a business trying to attract new customers to their product - makes sense. Every year I call and they give me a heavily discounted price on the package for being a "loyal customer".

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

They have never given the NFL Ticket for free. They usually give new customers free HBO or Showtime for six months to a year. Never have they given their most popular sports package for free.

They have never given the NFL Ticket for free. They usually give new customers free HBO or Showtime for six months to a year. Never have they given their most popular sports package for free.

Yes, they have. As I said, I've gotten it twice for free myself. You just have to order the highest package they offer for the first X months of the contract - you can then switch out to the Choice Extra or whatever package after that.

EDIT: In the past they've offered to give you the programming for free if you just paid for Sunday Ticket - so it was like $59.99 a month for 6 months and you paid for the Sunday Ticket but the rest of the programming (highest tier package) for free. That deal would actually be better than what you are describing.

http://www.highdefforum.com/directv-forum/114463-nfl-sunday-ticket-early-bird-promotion-new-dtv-subscribers.html

All you have to do is call and complain a little about the price of Sunday Ticket and how you are a long time customer and eventually they will give you some sort of deal. We've done it for the last 3 or 4 years now and I think the most we've had to pay was like $150.

Hilarious timing, I just went through this. I have ALWAYS been successful at getting DTV to give me insane discounts, and even providing me with the new subscriber offer if agreeing to a new 2yr contract.

All providers like this have soft pricing... we just got XM radio for $77 for a year by "canceling".

This offer, though, is pretty outrageous, and while they're probably willing to pay it once to acquire a new customer (that's the point... new customers are expensive), they aren't going to lose money to give the deal to an existing customer, especially one that has gotten deals every year.

You'll no doubt be able to negotiate a better price again (because as long as they're making some money, it's better to them than losing you), but perhaps not something this good.

There's no confusion, just frustration. And not everybody gets those deals the other poster was talking about. How would you feel if your place of employment gave benefits to new comers that you don't get? It's kinda that samething.

Sounds like the NFL top draft choices.

I get plenty of deals from them. Every year. I have NEVER paid full price for Sunday ticket and I have had it almost every year since they started it (moved back to DC for 4 years).

Maybe if you took a step back and a deep breath...you could call them back and get a better deal. You might not get it for free but you weren't getting it for free previously. Take a good deal and move on.

As someone else stated it is indeed, Marketing 101.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 01:17 PM ----------

All providers like this have soft pricing... we just got XM radio for $77 for a year by "canceling".

This offer, though, is pretty outrageous, and while they're probably willing to pay it once to acquire a new customer (that's the point... new customers are expensive), they aren't going to lose money to give the deal to an existing customer, especially one that has gotten deals every year.

You'll no doubt be able to negotiate a better price again (because as long as they're making some money, it's better to them than losing you), but perhaps not something this good.

haha. I had the same conversation with them. I called and they said "this is a great deal I can give you"...really...one month off ? What's so great about it?

I told him I may just cancel it based on my usage. I called back and before I could cancel they made the offer.

I was still irritated that they had the deal in their pocket the whole time. Just give me the deal and continue to have a customer.

I'll drop my service and sign up again if that's the case. I can't afford that crap this year.

I tried that. You have to wait 2 years to be considered a new customer. I pissed and moaned and they took $20 per payment off mine.

They also gave us 3 months showtime for free. I usually get it in September for free for 3 months (then I can watch Dexter), but they gave it to me free this summer.

Archived