Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Texas Rangers Fan dies trying to catch a ball

TMK9973

The visitor's bullpen at the stadium is in left-center field. Athletics reliever Brad Ziegler was in tears after the game when he found out the man had died.

"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK,'" Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was OK. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

:(

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/07/08/baseball-tragedy-when-fan-dies-in-texas-rangers-ballpark/

In a statement issued after the game, Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said, “We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.” “This is unfair,” Yahoo’s Jeff Passan writes. “It’s so very unfair. It’s unfair to Josh Hamilton, a decent man and a father to three daughters. He tried to do a good deed. That’s all he tried to do. It’s unfair to Shannon Stone, a firefighter for 18 years who just wanted to make his kid’s night. It’s most unfair to that son. He will grow up without a father.” There’s not much but sadness to find in this story, at present – what should have been good went bad, and the hushed stadium and tearful locker rooms after the game told the only story that really seemed appropriate to tell afterwards.

Passan said it perfect.

He didn't die immediately after the fall. He died at the hospital I think.

The whole situation is screwed up. Not just the father/son but imagine how Hamilton feels. All he tried to do was give a kid a ball. And it indirectly results in the death of the kid's father. It's nobody's fault, it just happened and it just sucks.

The whole situation is screwed up. Not just the father/son but imagine how Hamilton feels. All he tried to do was give a kid a ball. And it indirectly results in the death of the kid's father. It's nobody's fault, it just happened and it just sucks.

I can't even imagine how Hamilton feels. I hope his manager gives him the day off. I know I couldn't focus on baseball in that situation. I'd just keep replaying that throw over and over in my head....

I think now they will make a rule for players not to pitch the ball in the stands unless they hand it to the kid/adult.

no... No way....

There are 30 major league teams and 162 games each. that means there are a total of 2430 games. Besides foul ball, almost every time between innings balls are thrown into the stands. There are 21870 innings a year. (Plus extra innings). My guess -is at least 3 balls get thrown into the stands EVERY INNING OF EVERY GAME. This happens at LEAST 65,610 times a year. This was a tragic accident. Thats all. Expect NO rule changes.

Only think I can see is aa change in the structure so there is not such a gap there.

Archived