Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Tiny Worms With Teeth Attack, Sicken Couple

China

Tiny Worms With Teeth Attack, Sicken Couple

An Australian couple endured a health nightmare after tiny worms with teeth began eating through their bodies, the Herald Sun reported Tuesday citing details revealed in The Medical Journal of Australia.

The couple were believed to have become ill after eating a fish -- infected with the gnathostomiasis larvae -- which they caught on a camping holiday in Western Australia. It was the first time humans have been infected by the parasite in Australia.

The report said after the fish was caught in the Calder River near Derby, 1,485 miles north of Perth; the husband, 52, and wife, 50, pan-fried it over a campfire, but the "duration and thoroughness of cooking" was unclear.

Click on the link for the full article

I recall when I took a parasitology class we went out to a lake in Michigan and caught some fish, brought them back and then dissected them for parasites: :yikes:

Some of the things we found were scary. :ahhhhh: Our professor said that's why he no longer ate fish.

I recall when I took a parasitology class we went out to a lake in Michigan and caught some fish, brought them back and then dissected them for parasites: :yikes:

Some of the things we found were scary. :ahhhhh: Our professor said that's why he no longer ate fish.

Goddamnit, China. I love fish, and now you're making me nervous, but not nervous enough to stop loving fish, just nervous enough to lie in bed staring at the ceiling at 1AM after I eat fish.

:banhim:

You can't get this from sushi. I think I've only eaten salt water fish raw... tuna, yellowtail, flounder, horse mackerel. It's fresh water fish, frogs, etc. that carry this parasite. Cook it and you are 100% safe.

Not this parasite, but other parasites. Sal****er fish are not immune from parasites. Ever heard of Anisakis Simplex?

I agree with your professor, I usually stick to shrimp or calamari (shudder)

Archived