Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have a broken jaw.

Baculus

I just got back today from the hospital where I spent three days there for said broken jaw, and I tell ya, I couldn't be any more miserable. The damage to the jaw was bad enough, but it will have to be wired shut for six weeks. This is basically day one -- and a pretty rotten day at that -- and I am just trying to garner my strength to continue, day by day. Yes, my 4th is not going to be a good time, I can tell you that much.

Yeah, I know, some people have it worse, and I can appreciate that fact, but, man -- this is the toughest physical ailment I have yet faced. I just needed to mention this because I am up in the middle of the night and trying to take my mind off things, and I ain't doing a good job of it.

Too bad I can still type, or some of you could make jokes about "we thought you'd never shut up." :-P

I just got back today from the hospital where I spent three days there for said broken jaw, and I tell ya, I couldn't be any more miserable. The damage to the jaw was bad enough, but it will have to be wired shut for six weeks. This is basically day one -- and a pretty rotten day at that -- and I am just trying to garner my strength to continue, day by day. Yes, my 4th is not going to be a good time, I can tell you that much.

Yeah, I know, some people have it worse, and I can appreciate that fact, but, man -- this is the toughest physical ailment I have yet faced. I just needed to mention this because I am up in the middle of the night and trying to take my mind off things, and I ain't doing a good job of it.

Too bad I can still type, or some of you could make jokes about "we thought you'd never shut up." :-P

Sorry for your pain. Hopefully, it goes smoother than you think, but imagine all sounds you might be exposed to now. So many forget to listen as they charge through life.

I had a broken jaw once. It's tough, the food is awful.

Two words of advice - Stool softener.

Back when i had mine I was in high schoool, and I had to carry around a tiny pair of scissors.. cuticle scissors... in case you get sick you have to be able to cut the wires so you won't choke. I tried to board a plane.. that was 20 years before 9-11, needless to say i had a lot of 'splainin to do anyway. Had to go back and get the big pat down behind the curtain, all the while showing them my jaw.. my mom was going ballistic.

They let me fly anyway.

I couldn't take the baby food,, so I started eating spaghetti one strand at a time.

~Bang

Sorry to hear that man. It's hard not to feel sorry for yourself and just accept that it's going to suck but the sooner you can do that the faster your mind will shift gears to something less maddening. Good luck and get well soon.

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. The slumber I just arose from was an uneven sleep compared to snoozing in a hospital bed with super-friendly, caring nurses hovering around me. Even though I was propped up by pillows in my bed (which is really a couch), it still felt like pressure was being applied to my jaw, and I think the swelling, which is about the size of a softball ball, is even worse today. That may be due to the surgery, or maybe I was simply trying to talk a bit too much after my release.

As some of you know, I moved out here in Oregon with the intent of restarting my life after being laid off from work. I decided to go back to college, where I had a great year: straight A’s as a literature major, which I really love. But I don’t know a lot of people here in Eugene, so I tend to get lonely. At the same time, though, I am also sometimes a very reserved person, and booze helps to overcome those personal tendencies. Yes, I know that's something I need to reevaluate if I want a healthy, future life.

Typically in such occasions when I imbibe in alcohol I just sit at my place, avoiding bars and simply watching YouTube videos or reading the news. But, in the case of last Wednesday night, I decided to hit the streets late in the evening, around 2am before the bars closed and when people are starting to hang out on the streets, especially in this one “four corners” bar area. I usually go out to people of the female persuasion, but that usually doesn’t happen under those circumstances, unsurprisingly. But I still wanted to socialize since I was really in the mood to talk with other people, whoever it might be. So, in this case, I met a couple of dudes who seemed cool, or at least so I thought—street hippy sorts, the type you see around here during the warmer months. In this case, though, I met some street punks that weren’t all about peace and love. . . .

We ventured back to my place since I had vodka there, and we start to B.S. about stuff: music, politics, sports—whatever came up in conversation. The duo I had met and invited into my apartment seemed alright, at least to my inebriated self at that time; I didn’t have any warning signs that something was going to happen since I had let my guard down. At some point we’re hanging around my desk, and I believe I was sitting down to watch some YouTube video which one of the guys had suggested . . . and that is when the attack happened. Before I knew what I was happening, I was flipped over my chair after being slammed by a punch to the side of my head, and I was on the ground flailing around with both guys wailing away on me. I don’t remember much after this point.

The next thing I know I was waking up in my bed and wondering why the hell my jaws hurts so much and why a tooth, one of my molars, is loose, sticking out from its gum. After several attempts at getting up from my bed, my head was dizzy and swimming and I felt just horrible, I noticed the state of my apartment, which was a wreck. Stuff was thrown all over the place, marking the struggle that took place just a few hours earlier; that is also when I realized my iPhone and laptop were gone, both of which they had taken, robbing me of them. Luckily, though, they didn’t take anything else (except for the big bottle of vodka which we were drinking). A person at the nearby bookstore called the police for me and I was able to file a report, but I don’t know if that will help at all. Crime has risen in Eugene, and the local law enforcement gets a lot of cases on a daily basis.

I will thank God for the hospital treatment I received after all of this – everyone was top notch in their care of me. Of course, I have a huge bill to pay now since I don’t have any insurance, but I will have to worry about that later. No political interjection here – it is what it is. As a note, this was my first surgery, and it was pretty bad feeling waking up from the procedure; I had a panic attack when I awoke, which sucked.

Obviously, considering the circumstances, I have a lot of reevaluation I have to do.

So, there's the whole personal, nitty-gritty drama. Thanks to everyone (I would thank each of you personally if I could!) for all the advice, dietary tips, and best wishes – you don’t know how much they mean to me, because I definitely feel low, and I appreciate you guys listening to my words.

Wow Bac, you should stick to disagreeing with me on ES :)

Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad you are going to be OK.

Should be a good lesson to ES males, NEVER bring strange males back to your place. Females only.

Good luck in your healing process.

Ah Bac that's terrible. Sorry you went through anything like that. You got so unlucky (and lucky). Glad that most of your stuff is intact. It's a shame we have to be on our guard so often these days, but its the truth.

Get better. Don't blame yourself. Learn, but don't blame yourself. You're the victim here and you didn't really do anything wrong, but trust in human decency. These guys are the ****s.

Archived