Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which smartphone should I get?

MikeSellers45

Hey guys, I am getting ready to uprgrade my phone after 4 years and I am going to be getting a smartphone before July 7th. The only problem is I know nothing about them. I am with Verizon and I don't know whether to get 3G or 4G seeing as it is the latest version out. If I go 4G, I was looking at maybe getting the Thunderbolt. Anyone have this phone or any other phones they like?

Wait next month for the Samsung Galaxy S2.

This.

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 08:21 PM ----------

Verizon has the iPhone now so that's a choice also. if you needed/wanted 4g, i think you're out of luck for now. i don't know much about android phones to give you a recommendation.

iPhones are for the meek.

This.

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 08:21 PM ----------

iPhones are for the meek.

do you feel better now that you trashed the evil empire of Apple? the man is just looking for a cell phone for crying out loud. grow up.

iPhones are old technology. 3G. Lol, might as well have dial-up. You can get a data plan even without a smartphone.

yea i don't think now is a good time for the iPhone since a new one is rumored in sept. why would you get a data plan without a smartphone? a tablet?

do you feel better now that you trashed the evil empire of Apple? the man is just looking for a cell phone for crying out loud. grow up.

I love Apple. Hell, I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro.

That said....

So many other phones >>>>>>> the iPhone 4.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy SII. This phone is ****ing ridiculous. A 1.2 ghz dual core processor with 1gb of ram? I also have 48gb of memory in mine (16gb internal and a 32gb card). This thing makes my old iPhone 4 feel archaic. It's incredible...not to mention the ease of the Android OS in doing absolutely anything.

I love Apple. Hell, I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro.

That said....

So many other phones >>>>>>> the iPhone 4.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy SII. This phone is ****ing ridiculous. A 1.2 ghz dual core processor with 1gb of ram? I also have 48gb of memory in mine (16gb internal and a 32gb card). This thing makes my old iPhone 4 feel archaic. It's incredible...not to mention the ease of the Android OS in doing absolutely anything.

in terms of smart phones, the iPhone is archaic IMO b/c it's already over a year old. i think that Samsung you just listed is killer. is this the first wave of smartphones with dual core processors?

in terms of smart phones, the iPhone is archaic IMO b/c it's already over a year old. i think that Samsung you just listed is killer. is this the first wave of smartphones with dual core processors?

There's a few: http://www.androidauthority.com/dual-core-android-phones-in-2011-9274/

...I just also can't see the next iPhone being a major upgrade. I could be wrong though. It's not like that would be new :ols:

To the OP, I know you want one know, but you should probably wait a month or two to get the best phone that you can (for that second in time).

I don't really need 4G, I was just thinking since it is the newest thing out there maybe I should get it.

i don't need 4g either b/c 90% of my data is on wifi anyways. however, lots of people are heavy data users and if you are one 4g would be a blessing. you should check the verizon coverage map to make sure the region you are in most has 4g coverage before you go plopping down money on a 4g phone.

I don't really need 4G, I was just thinking since it is the newest thing out there maybe I should get it.

You say that now, but after a little time with your new fancy smartphone you will wish you had it. Also, with time, you'll become more power hungry for extra speed. I went from a nubs phone that could barely play music to a full featured Android smartphone. You'll want the 4G speeds when you're trying to stream YouTube, Pandora, play online games, browse the web, etc, etc

If you're on Verizon, MAKE SURE YOU GET A 4G/LTE ENABLED PHONE. The average data speeds are absolutely insane

If you absolutely can't wait, get the Thunderbolt.

Otherwise, Samsung Galaxy II...all the way.

You say that now, but after a little time with your new fancy smartphone you will wish you had it. Also, with time, you'll become more power hungry for extra speed. I went from a nubs phone that could barely play music to a full featured Android smartphone. You'll want the 4G speeds when you're trying to stream YouTube, Pandora, play online games, browse the web, etc, etc

If you're on Verizon, MAKE SURE YOU GET A 4G/LTE ENABLED PHONE. The average data speeds are absolutely insane

If you absolutely can't wait, get the Thunderbolt.

Otherwise, Samsung Galaxy II...all the way.

Really? I did all the above fine on my Droid and Iphone that were both 3G.............so you can say what you want, but dont try to sucker him into a phone based off false info. 3G is perfectly fine on verizon.

to the OP, I had a Droid and now have an Iphone, I love the iphone better, but I miss the droid. They offer different **** to the user, so you have to ask yourself, what do you want in a phone. If you're gonna just use it kinda on the fly and ****, Iphone is the way to go. Plus their apps are virus free, the droid market, well anyone can put apps on there with viruses.

My droid had adobe flash, my iphone didnt...........but its not the end of the world for me lol. I can say that the common apps I had on the Iphone and Droid, the Iphone apps were better and had smoother functionality. Nobody can dispute that.

Get an iphone, there's really no comparison.

It's an old 3G phone. Waste of $$$.

Trust me man, Galaxy S2 is comically nasty.

Seriously why are you people telling him to get a 3G device. Should I also tell his kid to get a Gamecube? Stay current. 4G is the way things are moving; why buy a device that's obsolete out of the package?

Really? I did all the above fine on my Droid and Iphone that were both 3G.............so you can say what you want, but dont try to sucker him into a phone based off false info. 3G is perfectly fine on verizon.

to the OP, I had a Droid and now have an Iphone, I love the iphone better, but I miss the droid. They offer different **** to the user, so you have to ask yourself, what do you want in a phone. If you're gonna just use it kinda on the fly and ****, Iphone is the way to go. Plus their apps are virus free, the droid market, well anyone can put apps on there with viruses.

My droid had adobe flash, my iphone didnt...........but its not the end of the world for me lol. I can say that the common apps I had on the Iphone and Droid, the Iphone apps were better and had smoother functionality. Nobody can dispute that.

I didn't necessarily say anything that was false, 4G is insane, 9-14mbs down is pretty sweet IMO

4G/LTE/HSDPA, or whatever the hell you want to call it, is still relatively young, but the network coverage is growing and with time will continue to get faster. Current 4G phones still access 3G. networks because let's face it, the coverage is still somewhat spotty...****, I switch back on to 2G every so often to save battery life and when I'm not actively using my data connection.

With prices on newer phones being comparable, wouldn't you want the extra flexibility?

Archived