Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo - Fairfax County tops the nation in male life expectancy

Champskins

Have a cigar, you’re gonna go far, men of Fairfax County. Oh that’s right, you don’t smoke. Maybe that’s why you have the longest average life expectancy of all men in the entire U.S. of A., according to a new county-by-county study released Wednesday by the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

While things aren’t looking so hot for much of the rest of the country, and even the rest of Virginia, according to this article by The Post’s David Brown, males in Fairfax County on average are living 81.1 years, and females are living 83.8 years. Because women live longer, Fairfax is not the top-rated female county; that would be Collier County, Fla., on Florida’s west coast, at an average of 86 years. Montgomery County’s women, at 84.5 years of life, are near the top.

Here are the stats for NoVa:

Alexandria: 78.3 years for men; 83.6 for women.

Arlington: 79.7 years for men; 83.3 for women.

Fairfax County: 81.1 years for men; 83.8 for women.

Fairfax City: 76.6 years for men; 82.1 for women.

Falls Church: 79.7 years for men; 83.3 for women.

Loudoun: 79 years for men; 82.2 for women.

Prince William: 77.5 years for men; 81.6 for women.

Other:

D.C.: 71.6 years for men; 78.5 for women.

Montgomery: 80.7 years for men; 84.5 for women.

Prince George’s: 73.5 years for men; 79.2 for women.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/fairfax-county-men-have-nations-longest-life-expectancy/2011/06/15/AGjzn0VH_blog.html

Yes!!!

75 seems like more than enough for me

I think it depends on your health. If your physically and mentally in good shape when you're 75 (as my dad is) then you might not be ready to go yet when you get to that age, even though you can't imagine living more than another 25 years now.

Archived