Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former NC State Player Lorenzo Charles Died Today

Riggins77

ESPN Website:

Official: Lorenzo Charles dies in crash

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Former North Carolina State basketball star Lorenzo Charles, the muscular forward whose last-second dunk gave the underdog Wolfpack the 1983 national collegiate championship, was killed Monday when a bus he was driving crashed, a company official said Monday.

Elite Coach general manager Brad Jackson said Charles, 47, worked for the company and was driving one of its buses on Interstate 40.

Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue said no passengers were aboard.

Click link to see rest of article: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/news/story?id=6710669

I'm not a NC State fan, but RIP Lorenzo, as a college basketball fan, you provided us with one of the most memorable plays in the history of the championship game. My wife is a huge NC State fan, so I felt the need to post this. Also, with that said, I am very lucky to have a father that worked with two former NC State basketball players from the 60's and early 70's. Before NC State won the national championship in 83, I had bet one of the former players my father knew a pepperoni pizza that they would lose (lol, I was like 6 years old). Well they won, but he was a cool guy and he sent me a piece of paper autographed by the entire Championship team with their numbers and a picture of the team, autographed by Jimmy V.

Even though I'm a UNC fan, it's one of my most prized possessions. RIP Lorenzo.

Archived