Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Facebook Hacking

chipwhich

I am curious if anyone knows anything about Facebook hacking.

I just got back from taking my family on a vacation to Florida.

The only negative of the trip was my wife, 2 daughters, and daughters friend all got facebook hacked.

I don't have a facebook, so I don't follow FB security too much.

It was concerning that everyone in my room that logged into FB got hacked.

The posts were disgusting to say the least and really upsetting to my younger daughter. The remedy was to set my security settings for each account to tied to an IP address and always use https.

Changing their passwords resulted in the hacker posting "You need to change more than your password to stop me :)"

Anyone have an issue with this? If you have kids on FB, I suggest you upgrade your security settings. I knew there were pigs out there, but didn't think FB was so easily hacked.

I assume somehow they were sitting on the hotel network and sucking up our transmissions which gave them the credentials needed to post.

Yeah, your passwords are flowing wide open on wireless networks

It's tough because you need to change your pw asap but also, the hotel's internet has some jerk who is accessing passwords on your network

I have heard of these situations before, that's the dangers of public wireless. There might be an option in Facebook to suspend the account or something until you get back, I don't know. Just shut those accounts down ASAP to stifle the hacking. Not talking about deleting them, that's a last resort option

Yeah, your passwords are flowing wide open on wireless networks

It's tough because you need to change your pw asap but also, the hotel's internet has some jerk who is accessing passwords on your network

I have heard of these situations before, that's the dangers of public wireless. There might be an option in Facebook to suspend the account or something until you get back, I don't know. Just shut those accounts down ASAP to stifle the hacking. Not talking about deleting them, that's a last resort option

Yeah the https and IP authorization via text message stopped it.

It was more concerning that whoever was posting might be in the hotel.

Lucky I didn't find out who before we left. He might not have liked what I had to offer ;)

I'm honestly a little surprised that you're so caught off guard by this. If someone is looking to cause trouble Facebook is an absolute goldmine. If you can get into someone's FB account you have access to tons of personal, "private" information and have the rather unique ability to inject whatever information you wish directly into that person's greater social pipeline. I'm pretty sure FB itself has pretty reasonable security but the weak link, as it so often is, is the users themselves. Hell, in a lot of cases you can actually gain access to an account using only the information gleaned from befriending that account.

Some African dude kept reopening my old account that I shutdown like a year ago I tried to re-set the password, but the dude kept resetting it somehow and adding his African buddies as friends and he didn't change the password at all because I was still able to log in.

I ended up just deleting the page because it was annoying me.

Good luck

I'm honestly a little surprised that you're so caught off guard by this. If someone is looking to cause trouble Facebook is an absolute goldmine. If you can get into someone's FB account you have access to tons of personal, "private" information and have the rather unique ability to inject whatever information you wish directly into that person's greater social pipeline. I'm pretty sure FB itself has pretty reasonable security but the weak link, as it so often is, is the users themselves. Hell, in a lot of cases you can actually gain access to an account using only the information gleaned from befriending that account.

Caught off guard?? I don't sweat FB.

I would think the security is more than less than basic.

But I get it now. Since I don't have a facebook account, I never tracked it before now.

Now I do, and I am in control.

I'm like the old curmudgeon keeping kids frisbees and baseballs when it comes to wireless.

My home network is hardwired, won't hae it any other way.

NOTHING is secure, but no sense in making it easy.

My 76 yr old stepfather sits in the passenger side of the car and works a little contraption of his own devising and taps into any network he wants as we go by.

(To be fair, he's brilliant... too smart for real people. He taught nuclear physics at West Point, had a remarkable military career, and a civilian career with NSA that put him in position to be four people from the President's ear. His hobby is cryptography.)

Also, beware of all of those facebook tricks. "Amanda has answered a question about you!" Amanda of course being one of your friends who has already fallen for this.

To see what Amanda thinks, all you have to do is answer some simple questions to insure it's you. What was you mother's maiden name? what was you favorite pet's name? When were you born? when was your first child born?

The answers to the seemingly innocent questions they want are very often the reminder question to give you a password to a website, if not the password itself.

Facebook is the number one phished site on the web. Tell it nothing. It amazes me,, I have a friend who is currently vacationing in OC.. I know this because he's telling us all about ito n his facebook page. I know he's not home. as does anyone who looks at his page.

Don't tell it where you live, where you were born, what your birthdate is,, tell it the absolute minimum. Keep your profile to the minimum

~Bang

Its actually pretty easy to hack a facebook. It is actually more about hacking the person's email address associated with it as most peoples security questions are garbage. A normal computer literate person could figure out how to hack an email in about an hour of learning techniques.

Change the email associated with the facebook. Make sure the email being used or any email address isnt listed on the persons page.

I'm like the old curmudgeon keeping kids frisbees and baseballs when it comes to wireless.

My home network is hardwired, won't hae it any other way.

NOTHING is secure, but no sense in making it easy.

My 76 yr old stepfather sits in the passenger side of the car and works a little contraption of his own devising and taps into any network he wants as we go by.

(To be fair, he's brilliant... too smart for real people. He taught nuclear physics at West Point, had a remarkable military career, and a civilian career with NSA that put him in position to be four people from the President's ear. His hobby is cryptography.)

Any network he wants? Mathematically speaking, that's absurdly unlikely.

Its actually pretty easy to hack a facebook. It is actually more about hacking the person's email address associated with it as most peoples security questions are garbage. A normal computer literate person could figure out how to hack an email in about an hour of learning techniques.

Change the email associated with the facebook. Make sure the email being used or any email address isnt listed on the persons page.

Their emails weren't hacked. Whoever was getting it was sniffing it off the network. 4 people in one room. Turning on https for facebook and requiring approval by IP address was the only fix. The hacker had our new password immediately upon us changing it. It was child's play for him.

Archived