Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com BREAKING NEWS : Blagojevich convicted on corruption charges

Mickalino

His hair has been found not guilty of all charges, however.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/27/blagojevich.trial/index.html

Blagojevich convicted on corruption charges

Chicago (CNN) -- Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted Monday on 17 of the 20 public corruption charges against him.

The jury acquitted Blagojevich on one count of bribery and was unable to reach verdicts on two counts of attempted extortion.

The charges against Blagojevich included trying to peddle the U.S. Senate seat held by Barack Obama before he resigned to become president. Blagojevich has denied any intention of bribery.

Last August, after a two-month trial and 14 days of deliberation, jurors deadlocked on 23 of the 24 charges Blagojevich had faced. They found him guilty on one count of lying to FBI investigators, a conviction that could carry a prison sentence of five years.

The accusation that Blagojevich tried to profit as he considered whom to appoint to succeed Obama, among other allegations, prompted his impeachment by Illinois' House of Representatives and his removal from office by the state Senate in 2009.

Ten of the counts against him in the current trial are wire fraud. The other 10 involve extortion and bribery. Most of the counts have a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

Blagojevich, 54, was taken into federal custody in December 2008, less than two years into his second term as governor. A federal grand jury indicted in him April 2009.

At the time of his arrest, prosecutors said court-authorized wiretaps caught Blagojevich offering Obama's Senate seat in exchange for personal gain, including a job with a non-profit or union organization, corporate board posts for his wife, campaign contributions or a post in Obama's administration.

He expressed frustration, according to prosecutors, that Obama transition officials were "not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

"I've got this thing and it's (expletive) golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for (expletive) nothing. I'm not gonna do it," prosecutors quoted Blagojevich as saying.

Blagojevich also considered appointing himself to the post, mulling whether he might be better off being indicted as a senator rather than governor, and saying contacts he would make in the federal job would benefit him later, according to prosecutors.

Aside from the charges of trying to sell the Senate seat, prosecutors also accused Blagojevich of using his position to obtain financial benefits for himself, his family and his campaign in exchange for jobs, contracts and appointments to state boards to supporters.

They accused Blagojevich of acelerating the scheme in 2008 to accumulate funds before a new state ethics law would have limited his ability to raise money from people and companies that were doing business with the state.

Along with Blagojevich, prosecutors charged his brother, Robert Blagojevich, with one count of wire fraud, one count of extortion conspiracy, one count of attempted extortion and one count of bribery conspiracy in connection with his brother's alleged Senate-seat-selling plan.

But a week after jurors came back deadlocked on most of the counts against Rod Blagojevich and all of the charges against his brother, prosecutors dropped charges against Robert Blagojevich but said they would retry the former governor.

Blagojevich's defense argued that he just liked to talk and that he ended up with nothing. Attorney Aaron Goldstein said the "law is about intent," CNN affiliate WLS has reported. Goldstein said the prosecution hadn't met its burden of proof.

The former Cook County assistant prosecutor, state representative and Golden Gloves boxer has remained in the public eye since his removal from office, appearing in a Chicago comedy show, releasing an autobiography, and competing on the TV show "Celebrity Apprentice."

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 08:10 PM ----------

I remember when almost everyone in the right wing blogsphere was sure that Obama was involved in Blago's shenanigans up to his eyes, that Blago had all sorts of dirt on Obama, and that Blago was "just about" to spill that dirt to get a deal from prosecutors.

That other shoe never dropped. Oh well. Where's the birth certificate?

I remember when almost everyone in the right wing blogsphere was sure that Obama was involved in Blago's shenanigans up to his eyes, that Blago had all sorts of dirt on Obama, and that Blago was "just about" to spill that dirt to get a deal from prosecutors.

Wasn't just the RW blogosphere. David Axelrod innocently dropped that Obama and Blago had discussed potential candidates. Axelrod later recanted. Emanuel claimed that he and BO basically got Blago elected. Blago campaigned hard for BO for Senate. They were all tight at one time.

Im pleased...everyone here was pretty sure there would be som efoul up and he would get off on all counts. Pat Quinn must be counting the days till his trial, after all, you cant be Gov of IL and not go to jail these days.

heheheh. Yep, Chicago, Downstate, Democrat, Republican... Illinois is a hoot.

The same place the "Whitey" tape is.:pfft:

Along the same lines of those thousands of outed emails from Palin that exposed....absolutely nothing. Liberals were so disappointed that there was nothing to be found there. Not that you'd hear any follow up in the liberal media about it.

Along the same lines of those thousands of outed emails from Palin that exposed....absolutely nothing. Liberals were so disappointed that there was nothing to be found there. Not that you'd hear any follow up in the liberal media about it.

We don't need to whine incessantly. Let's take the high road.

:)

I guess that depends on what you want.

I am guessing you wanted everyone who sent people to Alaska to apologize for following a story?

This is why I get tired of the "bias" bull****. They chase a story, It doesn't pan out, you expect...?

How about when fox gets caught in blatant lies and never bothers to retract a thing or even acknowledge it?

why don't you call that out? It happens often enough.

Jon Stewart did about ten minutes making fun of all of them for their Palin fiasco. I was rolling, it was damn funny. He hammered the hell out of them for the exact reason you are. The zeal in which they expected to find dirt.. and found nothing. I know it doesn't count unless he's picking on Fox, but since the right wing media seems to want to treat him like real news when it's convenient to complain about what he says, why no mention when he cracks hard on the left media?

Methinks the lady doth complain too much. (No offense inrtended. Lady is part of the quote as I know it :silly: )

~Bang

What was the story?

the princess has been pressed to release the emails of her governorship, so after many delays Alaska did, but to read them, you had to come to Juno and read through something like 18,000 pages of them on paper.

So a bunch of networks sent reporters up there to search through them and found nothing. One of them reported that one of the kids used the official email to ask about a slumber party.

Geraldo's opening of Al Capone's vault.

~Bang

Archived