Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bleacherreport: Six Players Who Will Officially Become Busts This Season (2 Redskins, sorta).

'Skins_&_'Stons

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/749610-6-players-who-will-officially-become-busts-in-2011

Trent Williams, Washington Redskins

Tackle Trent Williams was made the No. 4 overall pick in last year's draft by the Washington Redskins.

People had a ton of great things to say about the kid. He's a good blocker and very athletic for his size. However, the one knock against him was that his work ethic was a bit suspect.

With all the Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb drama last season, any work ethic problems with Williams were too small to report against the other big time Redskin stories.

This isn't last season though. There is still talk about McNabb and Haynesworth, but since we're all pretty sure that they'll be gone this season there have been other topics to focus on.

Like Trent Williams not showing up to a single player practice this off-season.

I know these things aren't mandatory by any means, but when you have a second-year lineman who may or may not be lazy, you have to wonder what kind of shape he'll show up to training camp in if he won't come out and toss the ball around with his teammates.

Now granted, I doubt the players are learning too much in these practices (they probably really only benefit quarterbacks and receivers) but at least it gives the captains a chance to check out the other guys' fitness levels and can ride some of the guys who aren't in football shape.

With the kid's lack of enthusiasm for these practices, I see Williams regressing in year two and not being worth the high pick the Redskins shelled out for him.

Donovan McNabb, Washington Redskins (currently)

Much like when he came to D.C. last season McNabb will bring a ton of hope to whatever franchise trades for him (probably Minnesota).

When that team gets him, they'll be talking playoffs and maybe Super Bowl, and that city will be caught in a frenzy of high expectations.

They'll talk about last season as a fluke or that the Redskins were just that bad and it will be different for them.

However, there is a reason why Andy Reid traded McNabb and not Vick last year (remember Kolb was the day one starter).

It's because McNabb is way past his prime and his sub-par play for the Redskins is exactly what Reid expected out of McNabb.

McNabb will probably come cheap (unless a bidding war for his services happens) but like they did in D.C. the fan bases expectations will be too much for the aging quarterback to live up to. And he goes to a team with a young QB waiting in the wings I wouldn't be surprised if he's benched yet again with three or more games left in the season.

How can someone who had a good career while he was younger (McNabb) become a bust? Sidney Rice can become a one year wonder, I guess, but he can't become a bust.

I hate Bleacher Report. Every time I look at that website I feel dumber for having read it.

I know this is the bleacher report but if Trent does end up being a bust (which i dont think he will) it will really set us back big time. I thought he did a pretty good job last season.

I think we have to understand how they are using the term "bust" in this context. If Trent Williams never improves from last year, he'll still play an average left tackle for us and can't be a DRAFT bust. McNabb can throw an INT on every pass attempt from September until he retires and he can't be considered a BUST given his career. So, I think they did a poor job in choosing the wording, but I could see the things they are predicting actually coming true.

As far as Williams, I heard good things about his work ethic last year with the Skins. I would have loved to hear that he was here with the player work outs, but not being there isn't necessarily a forboding of bad news. I am still in show me mode as far as the team in general and Williams is part of that.

I do feel as though we are getting younger and I did like what the Skins did in free agency last year, plus the signing of OJ at safety this year, so I don't see that changing much when free agency really does open. I think they are on the right track and will field a competetive team this year. To be honest, that's all I am hoping for. If the Skins acheive that, I will look at it as a victory.

seems like an awful article.

whoever is taking anything of value away from player work outs, or lack there of, doesn't know much about football.

the same can be said for anyone trying to make predictions like they should actually be taken seriously... if it were easy to predict while working for a blog, then it wouldn't be any fun to watch.

Too much is being made out of Silverback missing those nonmadatory practices. If he comes in camp out of shape then you can complain about it. Right now those mentioning never actually say a damn thing about the very real possibility that a player gets injured in those non mandatory practices and what would happen to the team or players if they did. If your boss said "you can come to work on Sunday if you want but it's not mandatory" most of you reading this would say the hell with going in Sunday just like Trent did. Complain when there is a reason to. If Trents not coming in then be cautious but to call him out as a bust imo is just stupid at this point

How can you be a Redskin under Shanahan and have a bad work ethic? Shanny would have benched his ass. Only if your name is Haynesworth, can you have a bad work ethic and still be on the Redskins roster. Shanny wouldn't put up with a subpar effort out of his LT. I call BS on BR (as usual).

I know this is the bleacher report but if Trent does end up being a bust (which i dont think he will) it will really set us back big time. I thought he did a pretty good job last season.

Thing is, Trent cannot become an official bust this year unless he does not make the team or IR. The reason I highlighted official is that it cannot be used here until the player has no chance to even mount a comeback for the team that invested draft picks and that only occurs when the player leaves the team. McNabb will prove to be a bust for us in 2011 but, again, unless Williams is cut or traded for crap, he CAN'T become an official bust this year.

As far as Williams, I heard good things about his work ethic last year with the Skins.

According to Chris Russell (ESPN980) and Grant Paulsen (106.7The Fan) Trent's work ethic was horrible. Supposedly, he had several run-ins with Shanahan.

A lot of his "issues" were kept in house.:2cents:

I hate Bleacher Report. Every time I look at that website I feel dumber for having read it.

This. [/thread]

L7 - for a Jets fan, your posts in your short tenure have been stellarly intelligent. :) Wish I lived closer & could come tailgate with you guys for the Jets game...looking like opening day (if it actually happens) will be the only FedEx trip I can make this year....

Boy I see what you guys mean on this Bleacher fellow. That was awful.

Seconded. Clearly the author doesn't know the definition of a bust. If TW was a bust, he would've busted last season. If TW plays around half as well as he did his rookie season, then he will be decent at worst and sadly still the best lineman we currently have.

I wish you had put "Bleacher Report" in the thread title...it would have saved me a click.

Seriously, this should be a rule on this forum. Bleacher Report, for the one or two people who don't know by now, is a place where any random idiot can blow stuff out of his rear end and onto the interwebs. And then other people can make threads about it.

According to Chris Russell (ESPN980) and Grant Paulsen (106.7The Fan) Trent's work ethic was horrible. Supposedly, he had several run-ins with Shanahan.

A lot of his "issues" were kept in house.:2cents:

That's what I didn't like about the pick. I wanted Okung (his demeanor reminds me of Samuel's). I guess we'll know in a few years...

That's what I didn't like about the pick. I wanted Okung (his demeanor reminds me of Samuel's). I guess we'll know in a few years...

I did as well, but Shanahan came out and said Okung was just not athletic enough for what he wanted his LT to do...which sounds like he only wants freak of natures or something.

Archived