Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Met Life close to purchasing New Meadowlands Stadium naming rights

L7Panda

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/27/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/MetLife.aspx

MetLife eyes the Meadowlands

In talks for stadium naming rights worth $17M annually

By Terry Lefton, Staff Writer

Published June 27, 2011, Page 1

MetLife is in advanced discussions with New Meadowlands Stadium to upgrade its corner sponsorship at the year-old facility to a full naming-rights deal.

A source close to the deal described the negotiations as “very advanced, but not complete.”

Other sources familiar with the matter emphasized that while a deal to name the home of the New York Jets and Giants, and the site of the 2014 Super Bowl, MetLife Stadium was not finalized, discussions have progressed enough that those inquiring about naming rights in the last month have been told that they were not available, though a cornerstone sponsorship could be. Several sources said MetLife is paying about $7 million a year for its cornerstone deal, and that the naming-rights package being considered would average between $17 million and $18 million a year.

For New Meadowlands Stadium, the deal would be a significant statement, as well as theultimate up-sell. National attention has focused on the inability to land a naming-rights partner at high-profile venues like New Meadowlands and Cowboys Stadium. Executives with New Meadowlands, the Jets and Giants, and Wasserman Media Group have been in the market for years pitching the deal, which initially had a sticker price of more than $30 million a year.

I just find it hilarious that the Jets and Giants were so convinced that they'd get $30 million a year for stadium sponsorship and instead they went one year without a name and are going to get basically 60% of what they thought they were going to get for the stadium's naming rights.

I love it.

Somehow MetLife would have been perfect for Cowboys Stadium!! :ols:

1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

I just find it hilarious that the Jets and Giants were so convinced that they'd get $30 million a year for stadium sponsorship and instead they went one year without a name and are going to get basically 60% of what they thought they were going to get for the stadium's naming rights.

I love it.

What's funnier is, the Jets/Giants got naming rights for their stadium before Jerrah Jones and the Cowpukes did.

What's funnier is, the Jets/Giants got naming rights for their stadium before Jerrah Jones and the Cowpukes did.

I knew you all would appreciate that, but it is New York/New Jersey against Fort Worth/Dallas, so that's no surprise.

Possibly because Jerruh and the Cowboys led the league in profits last year and doesn't need to sell off the rights at the moment, and can wait for a deal when the market value is higher, instead of locking himself into a long term deal worth less overall right now.

Possibly because Jerruh and the Cowboys led the league in profits last year and doesn't need to sell off the rights at the moment, and can wait for a deal when the market value is higher, instead of locking himself into a long term deal worth less overall right now.
Cowboys fans pick the strangest things to crow about. In a bitterly disappointing 6-10 season, Jerry Jones still managed to milk your fan base for everything they're worth. Whoop-Dee-Doo! I wonder if you're proud that despite agreeing to a lockout and putting the NFL season in danger, Jones still demanded that season ticket holders pay him almost 3 months ago.

Cowboys fans pick the strangest things to crow about. In a bitterly disappointing 6-10 season, Jerry Jones still managed to milk your fan base for everything they're worth. Whoop-Dee-Doo! I wonder if you're proud that despite agreeing to a lockout and putting the NFL season in danger, Jones still demanded that season ticket holders pay him almost 3 months ago.

No stranger than other posters calling Jerry broke because he didn't get a naming deal.

Well, he'll be waiting awhile with the economy the way it is. And I can't believe he is "holding out" for the right deal. It's possible he wants too much for what the going rate is. And really? Jerrah or any NFL owner turning down money? I call BS. Jerrah wants too much. And every contract has an out clause.

No stranger than other posters calling Jerry broke because he didn't get a naming deal.

I know you are referring to TR1, but me joking about Jerrah not getting a stadium naming deal had nothing to do with that.

• 3 weeks later...

:ols::ols::ols:

So Jerruh is passing up on easy $ even if it's for a year or two?

:ols::ols::ols:

Try to be objective.

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 04:59 AM ----------

Jerruh is probably management's weakest negotiator at the table, because he can't FINANCIALLY withstand a strike season.

Now, go ahead and dispute that statement.

Archived