Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: GOP compromise on debt: Cut military spending?

SkinsHokieFan

Its about time. This is one of the areas that MUST be cut in order for us to become solvent again

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/gop-compromise-on-debt-cut-military-spending/2011/06/25/AGPrGBmH_story.html

As President Obama prepares to meet Monday with Senate leaders to try to restart talks over the swollen national debt, some Republicans see a potential path to compromise: Significant cuts in military spending.

Senior GOP lawmakers and leadership aides said it would be far easier to build support for a debt-reduction package that cuts the Pentagon budget – a key Democratic demand – than one that raises revenue by tinkering with the tax code. Last week, Republicans walked out of talks led by Vice President Joseph Biden, insisting that the White House take tax hikes off the table.

In listening sessions with their rank and file, House Republican leaders said they have found a surprising willingness to consider defense cuts that would have been unthinkable when they last controlled the House five years ago. While the sessions have sparked heated debate on many issues, Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), the deputy GOP whip, said there are few lawmakers left who view the Pentagon budget as sacrosanct.

“When we say everything is on the table, that’s what we mean,” said House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the No. 3 leader who has been hosting the listening sessions in his Capitol offices.

Freshman Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) could serve as a poster boy for the new breed of conservatives who are eager to wipe out government waste and inefficiency, no matter where they find it. Kinzinger, an active-duty Air National Guardsman who flew missions in Iraq, fought successfully last month to cut a request for $100 million to purchase new flight suits for Air Force pilots. The old ones, Kinzinger argued, are good enough.

Defense spending is “a pillar of Republican strength. It’s a pillar of national strength. Look, I know there are sacred cows, ” Kinzinger said in an interview. “But we cannot afford them anymore.”

Click link for rest

Now thats encouraging!

As always, lets see the details.

If anyone thinks that the fiscal situation can be improved WITHOUT military spending cuts, I think they are a damn fool.

We can still have the best military on earth with 1/2 the current budget. Sounds good, but I'll wait to see what is produced

As always, lets see the details.

If anyone thinks that the fiscal situation can be improved WITHOUT military spending cuts, I think they are a damn fool.

We can still have the best military on earth with 1/2 the current budget. Sounds good, but I'll wait to see what is produced

Agreed. Hoping its the real deal and leads to common sense cuts in the other sacred cows

It's nice to see the two sides close to arriving at a compromise on SOMETHING, but let's stop the nonsense about 'no sacred cows' when one side just walked out of talks because they insisted on taking a certain sacred cow off the table.

I am not apposed to responsible military cuts. It's the the massive cuts I appose. But if there are no sacred cows, how about those top percentile taxes? Or are we still trying to argue that it would be unfair for the ultra rich to sacrifice a little like everyone and everything else?

I am not apposed to responsible military cuts. It's the the massive cuts I appose. But if there are no sacred cows, how about those top percentile taxes? Or are we still trying to argue that it would be unfair for the ultra rich to sacrifice a little like everyone and everything else?

Of course it would because those tax cuts have stimulated the economy and created the utopian conditions of the last ten years.

Intelligent cuts and careful tax increases would benefit all. It also doesn't make sense to me why we need to subsidize businesses that net over a billion dollars in profit.

I think raising rates during an economic downturn is potentially disastrous, but eliminating loopholes that have been snuck back in since Reagan's 86 tax reform is unacceptable...wtf?

If we went from spending more on defense than the rest of the world combined to more than the next top 10 countries combined we'd be way ahead. Heck, if we could just get rid of programs the military said it no longer wants like the B-2 it'd be a welcome step forward.

It's something I suppose. However, the cost of Medicare and Medicaid (which is the biggest expense, roughly 1/4 of the total budget) is rising so quickly that even cutting the military budget by 1/3 will result in about a 3 year band-aid. Healthcare is killing the economy, not defense.

As unpopular as it will seem, I agree. When we're facing the kind of fiscal crisis we're facing, there are NO scared cows. Everything is up for grabs. The military is included.

The fiscal crisis is overblown. Japan's GDP to National Debt ratio is twice that of the United States. The Dems will ignore the debt "crisis" in order to fund important infrastructure improvments. The republicans will ignore the debt "crisis" which they pretty much created and have ridden too Presidential Assendency under Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr; all of whom exasterbated the debt. Having said that though the GOP is willing to enlarge the debt in order to zap Obama care, or extend the Bush tax cuts which are already known stimulus loosers.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

It's something I suppose. However, the cost of Medicare and Medicaid (which is the biggest expense, roughly 1/4 of the total budget) is rising so quickly that even cutting the military budget by 1/3 will result in about a 3 year band-aid. Healthcare is killing the economy, not defense.

Both are killing the economy. We have more control over the military spending, but you're right we have to tackle both.

Archived