Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes/The Rise Of The Third Coast:

twa

Thoughts??

The 600,000 square mile Gulf region has long been derided for its humid climate, conservative political traditions and vulnerability to natural disasters. Yet despite these factors, the Gulf is destined to emerge as the most economically vibrant of our three coasts. In Forbes’ rankings of the fastest-growing job markets in the country, six Gulf cities made the top 50: Houston, Corpus Christi and Brownsville, in Texas; New Orleans; and Gulfport-Biloxi and Pascagoula, in Mississippi. In contrast, just one Pacific port, Anchorage, Alaska, and one small Atlantic port, Portsmouth, N.H., made the cut.

Now history is about to repeat itself as Texas, Louisiana and other Gulf Cities seek to reorder the nation’s economic balance of power. Unless California and the Northeast awaken to the challenge, they will be increasingly supplanted by a region that seems more determined to expand their economic dominion.

added

http://blogs.forbes.com/joelkotkin/2011/06/23/the-rise-of-the-third-coast-the-gulf-regions-ascendancy-in-u-s/

Here i think you have another one of those situations where something is fast growing because it is so much less established. Im sure there are several levels of magnitude separating 2% growth in NYC and 10% growth in Brownsville. I think they are growing so much faster than the coasts because the coasts are already a more mature economy. I guess New Orleans is the exception there, but it has its own unique situation.

Oh, and someone should tell the author that the term third coast has long used to refer to the Great Lakes states.

Oh, and someone should tell the author that the term third coast has long used to refer to the Great Lakes states.

We are stealing that too.

add

2010 Port of Houston Ranking:

• 1st in the U.S. in foreign tonnage for 15 consecutive years;

• 1st in imports for 20 consecutive years and

• 2nd in U.S. in total tonnage for 20 consecutive years;

add

Now, when i think of Houston, i for sure, dont think of some new city that is up and coming. While im sure it is growing nicely given the overall economy down there, i see Houston as a long established and critical part of the U.S. southern economy. While i wish we could figure a way to make areas like the rust belt once again relavant for industry, i also love seeing other parts of the country developing/growing industry as well.

add

those rankings are suspect. though they might be correct for this year.

the cost of living is so much better here than the east and west coasts. yesterday there was a thread about a housing complex in md where a 1 bedroom apt was $1200. and it was a horrible complex at that. im in a sick apt here in pasadena, $1100 for 2 bedrooms.

the gulf coast is where its at right now.

Here i think you have another one of those situations where something is fast growing because it is so much less established.

Yep. /thread

But I'm all for it. Hopefully it can bring the Gulf coast about 40 years forward in time, to join the other coasts here in the 21st century. :D

While we are kinda on the topic of growth in the Gulf Coast, what is really driving it? Is it mainly the oil industry (which comes to mind first)? What are the main industries that are fueling this growth?

Yeah, I'm curious what industries are fueling this, too.

The portion of the coast they are referrring to is mostly chemicals & oil refineries. The infamous "Cancer Alley" between Baton Rouge & New Orleans is probably the worst area down there. But from what I've seen, from Mobile to Galveston it's lots and lots of chemical & oil companies along the coast.

While we are kinda on the topic of growth in the Gulf Coast, what is really driving it? Is it mainly the oil industry (which comes to mind first)? What are the main industries that are fueling this growth?

didn't read the link?

Do you really want me to start bragging on the manufacturing,technology and cutting edge research?

but yeah we still do oil/gas too.

Not a fan of Houston, however. And they really need to work on that airport--one of the worst in the country.

Which one?

Larry, Texas has been a donor state as long as I can remember,hopefully the rest can catch up.

Which one?

Hobby. They have a serious staffing issue down there. And I'm not a person that complains about much--I don't even send food back to the kitchen. So if I was in disbelief at the level of incompetence, others were absolutely furious.

I can't speak to the parking or the outside facilities, because I simply had a connecting flight through there on the way to Vegas a month ago. And unfortunately, on the way back too. I'm not sure if it was a TSA problem, a local problem, or exactly who deserved the blame. But it was incredible. I've never seen anything like it.

On the good side, they do have a restaurant upstairs and to the left, just past the TSA checkpoint, that has incredible chicken tacos. I can't remember the name of the place--but they should have given them out for free to every single person that went through the airport on those two days.

well dang, I was wrong

Y'all do what y'all do, I'm interested in the overall environment and social impact on Texas, 30-50 years from now. Hope y'all don't like seafood.

:ols:,well I've been here 50 yrs and the water and air have actually improved

keep reaching

Interesting to note that Louisiana and MIssissippi, who are also port of this supposed 'third coast', were 2nd and 4th on the list of states receiving federal tax dollars vs. taxes paid, according to that link. Alabama was what, 7th? Whereas money has basically been pouring out of the northeast and west coast for decades.

Is it all Abraham Lincoln's fault?

No,

mms.jpg

those that allow drilling are compensated and it counts as federal payments

add

for clarity it is federal funds received in the totals...ya might keep that in mind with Alaska as well.

Archived