Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TechnologyGather.com: Lytro Light Field Camera — New 'Focus Later' Technology

PCS

http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979502862

June 25, 2011 01:25 AM EDT

Start-up company Lytro promises a revolutionary experience to all photographers—with or without experience. The new Lytro light field camera will surely change the photography industry and could perhaps level the playing field between pros and Joes.

Who wouldn't want to instantly boost their photographic talent?

But what is a light field camera? First off, a "light field" is basically many images of a scene taken from multiple perspectives from closely spaced viewpoints. And according to TechNewsWorld, it is the same type of technology that filmed Keanu Reeves dodging bullets in the hit film The Matrix. The new camera will contain many tiny lenses behind the main large lens. The tiny "lenslets" are at different angles to capture all the necessary prospective to take picture.

*Click Link for More*

---------------------------------------------------

Here's the Lytro site

Found this courtesy of our neighbors on the bandwidth BGO. Fairly interesting development but it does raise an interesting question. Or a few more even. Is this one more way technology is taking the skill away from this particular field/art? Or is it yet another tool that can be used in order to help create better images? Is this something that does indeed help level the playing field between the Pros and the average "Joe" or does it take much more than something like this to separate the 2? Hmmmmmm.

As an amateur photographer, I view cameras as tools to capture light. How that light falls on certain scenes is a function of how a photographer knows the properties of light, how to capture it and how to manuplate the image they way they want. I'm still learning, am using manual settings and lenses so I can best learn the properties of light capture. Sure we have cameras that allow anyone to take a great picture. But when I see the work of pros and highly skilled amateurs, it is astonishing the difference between photos of similar scenes. And I'm not talking about those who manipulate images in Photoshop or other like software.

I looks like a very interesting camera, one that will allow those with minimal skills to take an interesting image. Those who are very skilled will produce just outstanding images.

It does at that and I agree. Something fun and flexible for the casual hobbiest and those who just want the pics for memories and such,(don't we all though?). Depending on how advance the cameras are,quality of images and such,it could be yet another tool for the pros or want to be's. Of course,it also depends on who they really end up marketing too as well.

It does at that and I agree. Something fun and flexible for the casual hobbiest and those who just want the pics for memories and such,(don't we all though?). Depending on how advance the cameras are,quality of images and such,it could be yet another tool for the pros or want to be's. Of course,it also depends on who they really end up marketing too as well.

A buddy of mine showed this to me earlier today. I think that with something like this the truly talented photographers who have that mix of skill and creativity will capture something completely astonishing. Just like when WYSIWYG HTML applications hit the scene everyone in the web design community was afraid there would be an abundance of "fake" web designers popping up. Ultimately the one's who really worked to hone their skillset were able to effectively pull away from the wannabes. Someone who knows how to creatively stretch the limits of the technology will fare much better than those who have access and don't know how to use it. The cream will rise to the top, I think there will be some creative ideas applied to this and am interested to see how it's used in the future.

Archived