Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com, Baldinger: Cowboys lack leadership, not TALENT

Califan007

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/06/22/baldinger-cowboys-lack-leadership-not-talent/

(video with link)

s far as DeMarcus Ware is concerned, the Dallas Cowboys don’t have a leadership void.

From the outside looking in, not everyone shares Ware’s perspective after a season in which the Cowboys finished 6-10, missed the playoffs and head coach Wade Phillips was fired.

There’s a difference between being a pro — and Ware is a great pro — and being a leader. He’s not a great leader,” said NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger. “When you watch Ware, Jay Ratliff, Jason Witten, you watch these guys practice great practice habits. They take care of their yard. But when it comes to crunch time, are they the guys who grab guys by the throat and say, ‘This is what we need to do to win the game.’ I know Keith Brooking is a great pro. There are questions about Tony Romo sits to pee in the huddle. Because when Jon Kitna was in there, players on the offense said he was a better leader than Romo sits to pee. That’s coming from the Cowboys themselves.”

“When it’s in-house, you know you have problems with leadership,” added Warren Sapp.

Baldinger, a former Cowboy, says the roster is full of TALENTED players but the lack of leadership from the team’s best players is evident when the games matter most.

There’s not a scout or a player in this league that doesn’t recognize the level of TALENT Dallas has,” Baldinger added. “But they have the one (recent) playoff win. There’s a reason why they get to the postseason and the games get tight, that they haven’t pulled together to win those games.

“When it comes time to come together as a team, I think there are real question marks.”

The Talentpalooza Tour continues on lol...

My question is that a function of the coaching or is it a matter of the players themselves?

As a head coach, Garrett at least seems more of a leader than Phillips was...a can of tomato paste is more of a leader than Phillips was. Baldinger seems to be saying that the players themselves lack on-field leaders during important moments of the game.

But when it comes to crunch time, are they the guys who grab guys by the throat and say, ‘This is what we need to do to win the game.’
Grown men making millions shouldn't need this. And don't look to Romo sits to pee to do it....he's not shown he can even lead by example.

Not to get into leadership because it is over used in sports like it is here, but the question with Romo sits to pee is he just doesn't have the talent.

When I say talent in this case I mean understanding of the offense to the degree you can command the huddle, like Kitna, and confidently tell players what they need to do.

Talent also includes some physical abilities, but that is for another thread. This is about leadership.

And, leadership can only add so many wins. You have to have talent and skill to also win. Great leaders are great becaus of the people under them.

When Gibbs came back he had leadership, but lacked the talent and the playing he enjoyed earlier.

I am not saying leadership is not important, and not syaing the pukes don't need leadership, but saying it is not the problem that needs to be fixed first.

Not to get into leadership because it is over used in sports like it is here, but the question with Romo sits to pee is he just doesn't have the talent.

When I say talent in this case I mean understanding of the offense to the degree you can command the huddle, like Kitna, and confidently tell players what they need to do.

Talent also includes some physical abilities, but that is for another thread. This is about leadership.

And, leadership can only add so many wins. You have to have talent and skill to also win. Great leaders are great becaus of the people under them.

When Gibbs came back he had leadership, but lacked the talent and the playing he enjoyed earlier.

I am not saying leadership is not important, and not syaing the pukes don't need leadership, but saying it is not the problem that needs to be fixed first.

The fact is, TALENT doesn't mean squat unless you have leadership. Football is a TEAM sport...when you hire free agents in droves, there's no CHEMISTRY, just a load of ego (e.g., Skins (post Gibbs-Gibbs II...post Gibbs II-Shanny.)

The pukes keep reading the clippings and think all they have to do is show up. Their defense has ONE player who is consistent (mainly due to scheme) and a player or two who has a career year...never to be heard from again. On offense, they suffer from red zone execution and DECEMBER...:ols:

What's ironic is that the pukes continue, year after year, to be the darling of the sports world, when they have won as many playoff games as the Skins in the last decade or so.

Besides, every NFL team is just as TALENTED as the next...what makes winners is intangibles, refereeing and luck.

The pukes keep reading the clippings and think all they have to do is show up. Their defense has ONE player who is consistent (mainly due to scheme) and a player or two who has a career year...never to be heard from again. On offense, they suffer from red zone execution and DECEMBER...:ols:

I'd contend that they have a lot who are consistent...just not consistently good.

Making millions is irrelevant here. The only time money plays a role in motivating a player is when he doesn't have millions and wants it.
And that's a shame. You offer me a million and I'll bust my ass to do a good job.

Regardless of talent level they are always being evaluated whether it's for a starting role or a roster spot. All veteran players should minimally have the lead by example quality and wake up the rookies to the professional way. If the new agreement indeed includes a strict rookie salary structure, it could assist the problem of the rookie prima dona syndrome. Recent transplants Brooking and Kitna appear to be the only players with true leadership skills. Romo sits to pee has proven it is not his forte.

They Cowboys coaching staff, front office and GM must be held accountable as well. Players lost respect for Wade because he was set up to fail by the GM.

Does Garrett have the balls and the GM's blessing to take control of this team and earn respect?

I don't know I just don't think the Cowboys have as much talent as people keep saying they do. Their QB puts up #s but is inconsistent and chokes in big moments. They have three wannabe RBs but none that can really play full time. They have no OL to speak of. Defensively they have nothing in the secondary and really only have two impact players in Ware and Ratliff. Their Special Teams is also pretty mediocre outside of that kicker who booms kickoffs into touchbacks everytime(and since kickoffs will be moved closer now that is of less value). People keep saying they have all this talent but I just don't see it. They have a couple really good players and a few decent ones, that's about it.

When you hear 'talent' from one of the talking heads on NFLN, its just a synonym for 'hype'. The Cowboys aren't more or less talented than any other franchise. I think JJ played that game for years (drafting baseball players and signing crazy guys off the street) trying to win the 'talent' contest. I think he's been playing much more straight nowadays, especially since the last draft.

Put me down among the Cowboys fans that aren't predicting big things for the Cowboys in 2011. I'm sort of hoping they'll find a way to win games, but I'm not sure how they'll do that. In broad strokes, you want to pass to get a lead and run to keep it, but it doesn't look like they have the running game or the defense to win games consistently. I'm hoping they find a way to get to 8-8 so Garrett gets at least one more year.

When you hear 'talent' from one of the talking heads on NFLN, its just a synonym for 'hype'. The Cowboys aren't more or less talented than any other franchise. I think JJ played that game for years (drafting baseball players and signing crazy guys off the street) trying to win the 'talent' contest. I think he's been playing much more straight nowadays, especially since the last draft.

Put me down among the Cowboys fans that aren't predicting big things for the Cowboys in 2011. I'm sort of hoping they'll find a way to win games, but I'm not sure how they'll do that. In broad strokes, you want to pass to get a lead and run to keep it, but it doesn't look like they have the running game or the defense to win games consistently. I'm hoping they find a way to get to 8-8 so Garrett gets at least one more year.

Do you think Jerruh will get another head coach if the Cowboys go 6-10 or 7-9?

Do you think Jerruh will get another head coach if the Cowboys go 6-10 or 7-9?

Not saying I think he will or he won't. But I think he expects the Cowboys to put up more wins than in 2010 and if they don't he'll definitely be evaluating the coaching staff.

Do you think Cowher would be sat home now if he hadn't made the 'Ginger Avenger' the highest paid OC/ HC in waiting in history?

Hail.

:ols:

I tend to think that Jerruh won't hire a strong head coach who also has a lot of clout unless he goes through another 3 year losing span...

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Not saying I think he will or he won't. But I think he expects the Cowboys to put up more wins than in 2010 and if they don't he'll definitely be evaluating the coaching staff.

A very politician-like response, there lol :thumbsup:

Well, I'm not much of a prognosticator, particularly when it comes to which way Jerruh's gonna jump. He gave Campo 3 horrible years before he canned him, but that seems to be the exception. As soon as Switzer, Gailey, and Phillips started to struggle, they were gone. I think if Jerruh has options (Cowher, DeCamillis), and he feels like the team has underperformed, because, y'know, they're so freakin talented .... I don't have any confidence that he won't make a move.

Sorry, to hem and haw. If I had strong feelings about it either way. I just think Garrett did a hell of a job down the stretch last year, and don't want to see the fact the team just isn't that ****ing good cost him his job.

Archived