Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fergasun's Plan to Gut Government Regulators...

Fergasun

So we know the GOP is out to gut government regulators. I've heard right-wing-folks (on the radio, so its hard to take them really serious but they keep spouting this BS) talk about how the EPA, OSHA, and other regulators are a waste of money.

Here's my plan. Allow private citizens to bring "private right of actions" against businesses that are not obeying the law. If a company is breaking the law, citizens can bring lawsuits. Of course this will mean funding increases for courts; but in general I'm sure the GOP would love to get rid of those government fat-cats regulating and making sure companies obey the law.

Big business will be neck deep in lawsuits they will be begging for government to get back to regulating!

ok so now I have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyers just to make sure Dupont doesn't dump **** into my water? How am I even going to know if they do it? They can absorb my pathetic law suit, join it with other citizens tiny pathetic law suits, and delay all they want. If it's more profitable for them to poison my water than it costs to delay or beat law suits, then they'll do it. They have plenty of reserves of cash, and the best law firms, they'll wait through the litigation till you die.

No, this plan would be a disaster

We don't have a right to sue to enforce the laws.

In the case of financial laws and the SEC it's the fact that the government sues and then settles for a pittance that irritates me.

In the case of EPA/pollution, what can be a better incentive than a big legal pay-day for citizens to monitor and make sure thereis compliance?

So we know the GOP is out to gut government regulators. I've heard right-wing-folks (on the radio, so its hard to take them really serious but they keep spouting this BS) talk about how the EPA, OSHA, and other regulators are a waste of money.

Here's my plan. Allow private citizens to bring "private right of actions" against businesses that are not obeying the law. If a company is breaking the law, citizens can bring lawsuits. Of course this will mean funding increases for courts; but in general I'm sure the GOP would love to get rid of those government fat-cats regulating and making sure companies obey the law.

Big business will be neck deep in lawsuits they will be begging for government to get back to regulating!

We already have the civil justice system. That gives private citizens the right to sue corporations for doing something wrong to them. Evidence that a company violated the law or some regulation is generally admissible to show wrong doing in a civil suit.

But, its funny you bring this up because the SC is currently on a run of undermining that ability, most recently with the WalMart case that was handed down this week.

Observing that you're only implementing part of the conservative agenda, there, Ferg.

The plan is to eliminate the government's ability to enforce the laws and to make it illegal for poor people to sue rich people and make it so that even if the person wins, the damages won't hurt the corporation.

Get with the program.

Government fatcats?

Last time I looked salaries for people in regulatory bodies were much lower than salaries for their counterparts in industry. No one's getting rich working for FDA, and they're not exactly sitting around playing FreeCell either.

This plan encourages executives who are currently tempted to bend the rules, but who don't, to just go ahead and throw the rules out the window. People would die as a direct result of eliminating some of the regulatory agencies.

Yep, I want my children to just drop dead by the creek we used to catch frogs near. (it wouldn't be a soul crushing blow i'd never recover from).

could we just start with this:?

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-318SP

You could sue though. All would be well and good.

Besides, your life isn't as valuable as someone who runs a corporation anyways. Any confusion about it, re-read the libertarian bible.

You could sue though. All would be well and good.

Besides, your life isn't as valuable as someone who runs a corporation anyways. Any confusion about it, re-read the libertarian bible.

So Xenu created a libertarian bible full of contradictions?

Damnit, Now i gotta pick another party that won't agree with 95% of the people.

I'm going to create the "Get off my lawn Party".

The we used to go out and play from dusk to dawn.

We could ride in the back of a truck

We had leather slippery bench seats

We had lawn darts as a game.

You didn't buy a product from a bad company.

Archived