Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cable - cutting the cord

JeffSchmeff

I'm seriously considering cancelling my cable and going with an internet only streaming solution. Has anyone here done it? I'm considering the Boxee box, Roku, WD Live, or even building my own small form HTPC. I figure I'll test it until football starts, and even then I should be able to pick up the local channels in HD to watch most games.

What say you, ES?

A good buddy of mine has a Boxee and it’s incredible. Very high quality, searching is incredibly easy, and the amount of content available to you is phenomenal. It also has the Netflix app, among other cool tools.

I’m considering canceling cable as well and going this direction. I am not sure how live broadcast works on it though, or if it has that option. My only concern with that would be for NFL games – not sure how that all works…

i've cut the cord long ago. between hulu (free), netflix, mlb.tv, and downloading (or itunes/amazon), you can pick and choose your content quite nicely for a fraction of the cost.

i also bought a nice OTA antenna for about $37 that picks up all my local HD channels crystal clear, and that was a one-time cost.

btw, I use a PS3 for netflix/hulu on my tv, and i can also stream many other video formats with a program i have.

I'd LOVE to get rid of Direct TV, but being out west, i NEED sunday ticket or i'll never see the Redskins.

I tried streaming from some of those sites in the "where to watch redskins games online" thread in the stadium, but sometimes it lags and they don't always work.

Direct TV rapes my face every month. If you decide to go full internet TV setup, please chime back in and let us know how it works out for you. I might make the switch.

I cut it 3 months ago and I haven't noticed any difference. Internet only for 60$ is so much better than 200 for cable. I pay an additional 10$ for netflix, but I already had that anyways and I pay 8$ for Hulu plus, I can watch something to keep me busy. It might not be the same as cable, but I never watch cable anyways. I just need to get an antenna and I will be good. You can find most football games on the internet for free if you look around.

i've cut the cord long ago. between hulu (free), netflix, mlb.tv, and downloading (or itunes/amazon), you can pick and choose your content quite nicely for a fraction of the cost.

i also bought a nice OTA antenna for about $37 that picks up all my local HD channels crystal clear, and that was a one-time cost.

btw, I use a PS3 for netflix/hulu on my tv, and i can also stream many other video formats with a program i have.

What do you do about football? I know most games are on local TV, but there is the fact that a bunch of games are on NFL Network and ESPN, and I'm a football junkie.

Sacase - what solution are you using? Drew, what about you?

Other than 4 years in college, I've been abble to manage without cable. You can adapt

Good luck

Edit: NFL / ESPN is handled by online streaming on unauthorized sites, or radio

Yes, scoff all you want, but as I said, you can adapt without TV. Plus providers may not necessarily carry NFL Network, and ESPN's crew is so horrible that you'd be spared total torture by avoiding them

Just Gruden fawning over every player he sees...OH THAT GUY MADE A SPECTACULAR PLAY

You say that about everyone you clown

Sorry for the questions guys, but this really looks like it might be a viable option for us.

Can I watch Skins games through it?

Can we somehow get HBO still if we cancel our DTV (I assume we would have to subscribe to HBO in another way)

Do we need any special hardware (wireless, etc) that is above and beyond what we have to run our semi-archaic PC, laptop and new xoom tablet?

To simply stream? No. But you have to hope the streamer shows the game you want if you resort to looking through online sites. Sometimes they get taken down because the NFL is a *****.

All you should need to stream is the internet, don't think you would need new hardware unless your current hardware is really crappy.

What do you do about football? I know most games are on local TV, but there is the fact that a bunch of games are on NFL Network and ESPN, and I'm a football junkie.

Sacase - what solution are you using? Drew, what about you?

honestly, football is the one thing i would gladly pay for, but this is how i do it now: I catch about 25% on TV in HD thanks to sunday night football, and when the Panthers don't play at the same time, my local fox (or cbs) affiliate usually shows the skins next.

I've also had good fortune with streaming games online. I don't believe I missed any games last season, but you do have to put in effort to find them. Last resort is sport bar, but that's more expensive then I'd like. myp2p.eu is a great place to look (for other events also).

this method probably doesn't appeal to everyone, but it works for me.

honestly, football is the one thing i would gladly pay for, but this is how i do it now: I catch about 25% on TV in HD thanks to sunday night football, and when the Panthers don't play at the same time, my local fox (or cbs) affiliate usually shows the skins next.

I've also had good fortune with streaming games online. I don't believe I missed any games last season, but you do have to put in effort to find them. Last resort is sport bar, but that's more expensive then I'd like. myp2p.eu is a great place to look (for other events also).

this method probably doesn't appeal to everyone, but it works for me.

Hi Drew, I live in Charlotte too, so I hear what you are saying and glad to know there is someone I can get ideas from to watch skins games should we cancel DTV. Do you getlocal channels through an OTA antenna?

Seems like a lot of work to save $50 a month but I have a friend who has this set up where he just downloads every thing he wants to watch via bittorent or usenet. I don't know how he does it but it automatically downloads them and he can watch them via computer or ipad anywhere there's internet connection. It's super slick but I just don't have the know-how to set it up.

Hi Drew, I live in Charlotte too, so I hear what you are saying and glad to know there is someone I can get ideas from to watch skins games should we cancel DTV. Do you getlocal channels through an OTA antenna?

yea i get all the local channels crystal clear (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, and that other station that used to be the WB or something). i'll try to research the antenna model i have b/c there are so many crappy ones out there, but this one is money.

here is the antenna i have: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308858648&sr=8-1

it really is crystal clear HD just like you get from your provider

Man, being able to see the Redskins is a go/no go for me, and if cutting direct tv (losing nfl ticket) means I would have to luck out every week to find a working link online to watch the Redskins, i can't make the switch.

Direct TV has me by the balls the way Arnold and Sean Connor had Skynet by the balls in Terminator 2...

The neat thing about Boxee is that essentially, it streams torrents to your TV. In additional to all of that content (music videos, obscure sports, any tv show/movie you would ever want to see). In addition, there are hundreds of apps, including ones that allow you to stream sports.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=1AF697C21A90DAC8F3A59695E5AB970B.bbolsp-app05-47?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=3292900409451416604&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=boxee&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

yea i get all the local channels crystal clear (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, and that other station that used to be the WB or something). i'll try to research the antenna model i have b/c there are so many crappy ones out there, but this one is money.

here is the antenna i have: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308858648&sr=8-1

it really is crystal clear HD just like you get from your provider

Thanks!! Hey, Are there any area Skins bars here? (I never looked due to the sunday ticket, but probably better line one up)

Thanks!! Hey, Are there any area Skins bars here? (I never looked due to the sunday ticket, but probably better line one up)

There is one in Charlotte called Picasso's. I went once my first year here in the area, but quite frankly it wasn't a very friendly Redskin bar. I tried to talk with several Redskins fans, but none of them were very friendly and I may as well have been wearing a Raiders jersey. I haven't been back since. I'll stick to DTV.

Here is the address if you want it.

Picasso's Sports Cafe

1301 East Blvd

Corner of Kenilworth and East Blvd.

Charlotte, NC 28203-5801

704-331-0133

someone on this board owns a bar called Picasso's in downtown Charlotte and that is supposedly a redskin bar and i know he was looking for redskins memorabilia for it, but i've never been so i can't comment on the population of skins fans. there is one in the university area which i live near and i went once and it was dominated by obnoxious Giants fans so i stay away.

Good luck watching HBO without cable subscriptions

Honestly there is not much on my TV to watch cable-wise, the few shows I do have interest in can be found online. I have to watch them on a delay, which sucks, but it's how you have to roll without cable

Good luck watching HBO without cable subscriptions

Honestly there is not much on my TV to watch cable-wise, the few shows I do have interest in can be found online. I have to watch them on a delay, which sucks, but it's how you have to roll without cable

I don't mind waiting.

I've been reading about navi_x for boxer and it seems promising.

I haven't had cable for about 20 month now. Do not miss it at all.

I would recommend going with a HTPC. Purchase a HD Homerun network based TV tuner and use Windows Media Center as a DVR for over the air channels.

In my opinion Boxee is a turd. The UI is annoying and streaming media just isn't there yet in most cases. With a HTPC you can do over the air TV for sports and the network shows you like and they are HD, in many cases the over the air signals are less compressed than cable signals and they look better.

With the new AMD APU's you can get a really good system that hardly uses any electricity for not very much money.

Archived