Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: Why We Tip

China

4) Nope, wont' tip on togo orders or buffet's. anything I have to serve myself does not get a tip. Chances are I won't even know if my order is right until I get home and I am not going to open everything up right there to verify. That's like tipping at McDonald's. So what you put a few napkins and condiments in the bag...that's part of the job.

5) Once again people are there to socialize and enjoy a meal together. Its not our job to worry about how much wait staff makes. If I want to be there 3 hours then I will be there 3 hours. If you don't like the work conditions find a new job. The problem is, wait staff looks at customers as bags of money who they hate to serve and want them to hurry up and leave so they can fleece the next customer, customers look at wait staff as the person who brings them their meals and checks. My biggest problem with wait staff, as you can tell, is they think it is about them. It's not.

Just a couple counterpoints: The culture is to tip, and if the "togo person" starts going from getting tipped, to not getting tipped and not being paid higher hourly, well the effort put into the job will decline, then people will HAVE to start tipping the togo person in order to ensure their order is right.

Point of contention on #5.. YOU think that the staff "looks at customers as bags of money", I know from personal fact that's not right. So therefore you're sitting in the courtroom thinking that there's nothing you can say to get the jury to believe you. Case in point, some of my favorite regulars tip pretty crappy, but they entertain me and are constantly happy. If I acted like you think people act, then obviously they would get crappy service.

For me, tipping is very easy:

Bill = 174.83

I want to leave 20%

Well if you move that little period to the left on spot you've got 17.48 that's exactly 1/10th of the bill!!! AND you're halfway to 20% so you just have to double it:

17.48x2=34.96

PEOPLE CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT SOMEHOW!!!!

Anyway, being a bartender, tonight is our busiest night ($1.50 for all beers) we'll do probably $3400 in sales and if it's like last week we'll make about $650 to split between 4 people. But the thing is, there's two types of people:

1) It's cheap prices, I can go there and get drunk for really cheap, and since I'm the only one with this rationale, I'll be able to get great service and my beer will be full whenever.

2) It's cheap prices, that means it's going to be packed and the bartenders are going to be running around, working 4 times harder than usual, and I'm going to have to wait a bit for refills, so I grab 2 at a time.

Guess who gets their second beer first...

Overall I love my job, and I really would rather do this than any other job for now. It's long hours, late nights, highly stressful, mentally and physically exhausting, no breaks, and you're dealing with drunks. But on the other hand, my next payday is my next shift, if I don't have enough to cover rent or whatever is due tomorrow, I can go into work and work for someone usually with no questions asked. You're around such a diverse crowd and you get to do a bit of people watching and get to know so many people, I listen to my roommates stories as a Data entry person, I want to shoot myself.

Overall I will make around $20/hour, sometimes I'm working behind the bar hard or I'm working my customers hard (For their bags of money that they have apparently) And I hope that tipping stays around, because any change will lead to me making less money, if they put it into the menu price (at my $20/hour) nobody would come, if they become reasonable at $12/hour or something, I'd rather work somewhere making $10/hour and not having to deal with the stress and responsibilities that I do bartending...

/ranting

Completely depends on the are and type of restaurant. For example, if you think a waiter down here in East TN pulls $100+ every night anywhere but a bar on the strip (which means they work from 5PM until 4 AM) or a 5 star restaurant, you are sorely mistaken. Heck, the only way you could average that back in NoVA was at a place like Ruths Chris. I worked at Cheesecake Factory in Tysons' higher-end, always busy, and even then $100 a shift wasn't a guarantee, and that's back in the very early 2000s before the economic downturn really hit. You could average close to it, but that's one of the best places you can go to get that average, and wearing all white that needed to be dry cleaned every day and knowing that extensive menu front and back, as well as every cheesecake available and it's ingredients (and if you didn't get 90% on those menu tests you weren't hired) and doing all their steps of service (required, and many more than a regular restaurant) was no easy task.

I've worked at several different restaurants, for many years. I did it while going to community college, I did it part time when my regular job's wage wasn't enough, I did it again while going to 4 year college to finish my degree, and I'll be doing it again when I start working on licensure. It's a fantastic part time job to get while going through school or for extra income. In fact, it's one of the best part-time jobs you can get. But, from my many years experience, the only ways you can average $100 every single night is by working in a popular bar/pub until 3-4 AM, working at an upscale restaurant which with their requirements is basically like working a full time job, or working at newly opened and very popular restaurant, and in that last case such popularity only lasts for about 6 months.

Here is the rough average of what a typical, but good, server at an average but good restaurant, will make: Mon-Wed, $40-70 depending on the night and when you are cut, closer $60-80. Thursday is a little more. Friday $80-120, closer $100-150. Saturday a little less than Friday. Sunday is almost always hit or miss. You can make "Friday" money, or you can make "Monday" money. These are night shift guesstimates. Depending on the place, day time servers almost always make less than night time.

Your average server at an average restaurant works 28-35 hours each week, works Fri, Sat, Sun, and 2 weekdays and takes home about $250-350 a week in tips. Just a rough average based on my experience. The average income of an area factors heavily into this though. For example, I know people down here on average make less than people do in NoVA. Then again, the cost of living is less, so it balances out. I'm not saying feel sorry for waiters, all I, and most, say is tip 15-20% for good service.

I worked at Clyde's in Ashburn and would make about $200 in tips on a Friday/Saturday night (4pm-10pm) before tip-outs. I would usually walk with $160 or so (tip out there was 20% I think- 10% to the back waiters and 10% to the busboys). This was in 2006. Weeknights I would probably make between $50-$80 depending. We had to have drycleaned/pressed everything, had corporate training, had to take menu tests, memorize the wine list in order, and needed to know all the ingredients of everything because Clyde's prides itself on being accessible to allergy sufferers. We also did bottle service and half of the bar work- at Clyde's, they want your drinks to be as fresh as possible, so the waiters set up all the glasses in a special order (different glasses set up in a line to signify what kind of drink it was), and prepared the glasses for the alcohol. I would have to do all the work to make mojitos- simple syrup, smash those mint leaves, etc., and after that was all ready, I would tell the bartender what type of liquor or beer was supposed to be poured in each glass in order.

It was a lot of work. I would have to get to work at least 30 minutes early to get dressed and then go to the waitstaff meeting, where we would be shown the menu (it changed daily) and tried different food items.

Waiting tables was always good money for me, but I really didn't like it. I didn't care about turning tables, I just wanted to get the hell out of there and go home! This was when it was my second job (I taught during the day) and I was just doing it for extra cash. I was good at it, though, but I never want to wait tables again if I can help it!

And I always round my total bill up and tip 20% on that. So if my bill is $46, I'll tip $10.

1) You admit you don't have the waiter's perspective, so please don't then proceed to trivialize what they do.

2) The waiter is there for all their tables, not just you. It's busy Friday night, you think the other tables wanting service appreciate a table that continually holds up the waiter?

3) Of course you don't feel bad, you don't have the perspective, nor obviously do you view waiters as anything more than people who are to remain subservient and be happy with whatever you feel like leaving them. If you're just there for the food then the quality of service shouldn't bother you.

And yes, when your bill could be $150 instead of $100, but it's not because the waiter is paid only $2.13/hr, the least you can to do is leave the standard 15% tip if the service was good.

4) I hope the next time you order TO GO your order is wrong, the sauces aren't packed right and spill all over the place, you receive no napkins, etc.so maybe then you'll appreciate what To GO people do. And again, the food you are buying is less expensive because of the wait staff, so tipping for there work should be mandatory, they sacrifice a regular hourly wage so you can eat cheap, yet you can't spare a couple bucks for a TO GO person, or 15-20% for good service? That's cheap and inconsiderate.

5) You admit you've never served, then have the gall to tell me what the perspective of a waiter is? Give me a break. You obviously have no clue, and have disregarded all of what I responded to you with and posted in here, to characterize waiters the way you have here.

1) How much more do they do and please spare me the over dramatization.

2) Once again, the other tables are not my concern, they are the concern of the management. Feel you are overworked, then complain about the people who call out or your manager not scheduling enough people.

3) I already said I would go to a place with bad service and good food. So you are correct, so don't complain when your tip is short with bad service. You are right you are there to serve me, seen and not heard, I am not there to be your freind and have witty conversation with you. Yes be happy with what I give you because chances are its probably going to be pretty damn good. Just because I do it, doesn't mean I like it.

4) Serious dude you are really loosing me on the togo order stuff. The wait staff doesn't have to do 1/10th of the work, but expect the same tip? GTFO. There have been countless times I have watched wait staff grab the boxes from the kitched, put them in a bag, throw some utensils in there, condiments of you ask and hand you the bag. If my togo order is messed up, not a problem, I will just be back there talking to the manager, and yes I have driven back to stores to get my correct order.

5) Yes I can tell you what the persepective is. There has been enough complaining in this thread and others to validate that. Hell you even admit you want to turn over customers as fast as you can so you can make more money. Once again, you think it is about you and making money. It's not. I love going to this site http://www.customerssuck.com/board/ just to see the opinions of CS people. Sometimes they have valid complaints, most of the time they are just being elitest in their own wired way.

I tip a full twenty percent on to go orders from restaurants that arent set up that way. Bagging and packing all that **** ain't easy. It's amazing how many people of low character exist out there.

This isn't an issue of character, it's an issue of socially-pressured charity. Packing stuff in a bag is a ****ing cakewalk. I used to work for a farming business which had me go to individual farms and scoop horse **** for 8 hours. I used to toss 80 pound bales of hay in 100+ degree temperatures for 10 straight hours for a measly $40. I never once got a tip and never expected one. I was doing my job. If I want charity, I'll sign up for food stamps or go to one of the local churches.

4) I hope the next time you order TO GO your order is wrong, the sauces aren't packed right and spill all over the place, you receive no napkins, etc.so maybe then you'll appreciate what To GO people do.

I hope next time you go to the store, the cashier crushes your eggs and smashes your bread. They obviously deserve a tip for doing their job.

zoony, why can i never reply to your quotes? from your previous posts, you are a good customer to wait on. and i wouldnt feel bad about not tipping 20% when you are on a date and require little service yet have a big bill. i dont think many waiters would mind either.

i dont tip 20% on togo orders, because everywhere i have worked, the togo staff gets minimum wage, i see 10% as just fine there.

This isn't an issue of character, it's an issue of socially-pressured charity. Packing stuff in a bag is a ****ing cakewalk. I used to work for a farming business which had me go to individual farms and scoop horse **** for 8 hours. I used to toss 80 pound bales of hay in 100+ degree temperatures for 10 straight hours for a measly $40. I never once got a tip and never expected one. I was doing my job. If I want charity, I'll sign up for food stamps or go to one of the local churches.

I hope next time you go to the store, the cashier crushes your eggs and smashes your bread. They obviously deserve a tip for doing their job.

And I'm sure that without those tips you made ~$85 for your 40 hour workweek right?

Next time you go to the cashier and she asks "Would you like me to not crush your eggs for $1" Hell yeah I'm giving her a buck every time!

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:09 PM ----------

I tipped a hairdresser 50% yesterday because she came onto me, I tipped a waiter 10% today because he was coming onto my girlfriend. To me it's all about the person and the attitude

That's ironic, yesterday I came onto a hairdresser! (Now I'm not allowed to go back and they're charging me with something that's gonna make me register my name with the cops wherever I move to)

That's ironic, yesterday I came onto a hairdresser! (Now I'm not allowed to go back and they're charging me with something that's gonna make me register my name with the cops wherever I move to)

Mighta worked out for me but she was too heavy. Favorite moment was when she said to me "I don't want a relationship, just someone to come over and not spend the night. What are your plans this evening?". It was there but I just couldn't do that. She wasn't ugly, I just don't digg on bigger ladies. So she was rewarded the only way I knew how in that situation. To me in the service industries if you go above and beyond then you get a bigger tip. I hate it when I go into like a Subway and they throw out a tip jar. Excuse me pal but what in the heck? Or when I'm at a bar and the waitress suddenly expects since she winks at me to give her more then a buck for a $4 beer. Lots of bullspit ways people try and get tips but the whole 15% is mandatory crap is just stupid to me. If I want to tip a girl $20 on a $10 bill guess what I'll do that. Or on the other hand if you give me crappy service and the bills $60 I might leave ya $5. To me its all about the attitude and approach

And I'm sure that without those tips you made ~$85 for your 40 hour workweek right?

I made about $200 a week. The average person that packs your bag with napkins makes minimum wage ($7.25). They're easily getting paid more than I did for a much harsher job. Without tips they'll be able to live more than adequately.

Next time you go to the cashier and she asks "Would you like me to not crush your eggs for $1" Hell yeah I'm giving her a buck every time!

I expect good service when the employee is being paid reasonably. Extortion should never be allowed in business and it's disgusting that somebody would condone that behavior. If I don't receive respectable service, I'll gladly walk out without paying.

1) How much more do they do and please spare me the over dramatization.

2) Once again, the other tables are not my concern, they are the concern of the management. Feel you are overworked, then complain about the people who call out or your manager not scheduling enough people.

3) I already said I would go to a place with bad service and good food. So you are correct, so don't complain when your tip is short with bad service. You are right you are there to serve me, seen and not heard, I am not there to be your freind and have witty conversation with you. Yes be happy with what I give you because chances are its probably going to be pretty damn good. Just because I do it, doesn't mean I like it.

4) Serious dude you are really loosing me on the togo order stuff. The wait staff doesn't have to do 1/10th of the work, but expect the same tip? GTFO. There have been countless times I have watched wait staff grab the boxes from the kitched, put them in a bag, throw some utensils in there, condiments of you ask and hand you the bag. If my togo order is messed up, not a problem, I will just be back there talking to the manager, and yes I have driven back to stores to get my correct order.

5) Yes I can tell you what the persepective is. There has been enough complaining in this thread and others to validate that. Hell you even admit you want to turn over customers as fast as you can so you can make more money. Once again, you think it is about you and making money. It's not. I love going to this site http://www.customerssuck.com/board/ just to see the opinions of CS people. Sometimes they have valid complaints, most of the time they are just being elitest in their own wired way.

1) I'll spare the overdramatization just as soon as you spare the mischaracterization. When they arrive they have to help stock and set-up the restaurant for the shift, there's their own sidework as well as that of others if they can't get to it in the middle of a shift, and then there's doing the things you said, for 4 or more different table coming in at different times with different amounts of people and different needs/expectations.

Say I have a 5 table section, you are the 3rd one to come in, and by the time you get your food I have 2 more tables added. Now you need a refill, but I'm taking the order of one table, who said they were ready but then can't make up their minds while I'm taking the order, and it's a party of 8. I then have to put the long order in, and stop by other tables needing items, not just yours, and I have to do the introduction to that 5th table and get their drink order. Then I go to get drinks, and other table refills, including yours, will be added to that, including sauces, napkins, etc. Oh, but there's no ice because that person is slacking or can't get to it., So I have to fill up ice. Oh, there's no cups because the same person on that station isn't getting them, so I have to get those. No lemons? Back to the bar or cooler to get those. I run it all out. Now another table is ready to pay. They give me a $100 dollar bill on a $25 ticket, now I have to hunt other servers down, while they are busy too, to get change, or bother the manager, who is also very busy, to get into the office, open the safe, and then has to log the money taken out, All this while other tables need service too.

And let's say on top of all of that, my party of 8 is sucking down drinks at a ridiculous rate, asks for something every single time I'm at or near the table, and I'm still trying to get items for my other 4 tables, including the check, change, boxes, napkins, sauces, all of which I'm reliant on others to keep stocked, or I have to do it myself, taking up even more time. From the outside, all that doesn't seem completely terrible, until you factor in the collective time all of that takes while to a customer it seems like "all they have to do is fill up a drink." Really there's a lot more going on. There is a lot of time and task management, and only the good servers can get a handle on it, but even they time to time can get stuck in the most common server term: the weeds, where the server is buried in tasks needed for each table and that's all they are doing all night long is playing catch-up.

And this is just a glimpse of a busy night. I won't even get into what all has to be done when we run out of rolled silverware, clean dishes, or clean cups in the middle of a busy shift, or any of the many other items that need stocking during a shift.

2) Once again, every server has more than just 1 table to serve. The fact of the matter is, a 4-5 table section is standard. You'll care about other tables when you're drink has been empty for 2-3 minutes because another table is taking forever to place an order or keeps tying your server up with requests.

3) and just because you'll go to a place with bad service doesn't mean it's the norm. Restaurants that get a rep for bad service do terrible in sales. But what would I know having only done it for several years and you never?

4) I never said To Go should get the same tip amount. Again you are getting what I'm saying wrong. Are you even taking the time to read and understand my perspective? I clearly said before $1-2 for orders less than $30 on To Go, about 8% for orders above $30. And again you ignore the fact your meal costs less because of lower wages, just because you don't agree with it or don't like tipping. It doesn't change the fact that it's still what happens. Again, you're enjoying a discounted meal because the staff has lower wages, and you can't give 2 bucks to someone for putting your order together?

5) No, obviously you can't tell me what the perspective is, since you've never done it and since your characterization was way off and based solely off assumptions. First off, what job isn't about making money? Come on. Waiters are in it for the tips, of course part of it is about money. But good servers actually do care that someone had a good experience, good servers have a little thing called pride in their work, just as workers in other professions do. You obviously have no clue what I think, otherwise you wouldn't continually be getting my words wrong.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:22 PM ----------

If you made $2.13 an hour doing that job, and your actual income was based solely off tips, then I'd bet not only would you expect a tip, but a percentage that fairly represented the quality of work.

Cashiers get paid an hourly wage, invalid comparison.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:27 PM ----------

I expect good service when the employee is being paid reasonably. Extortion should never be allowed in business and it's disgusting that somebody would condone that behavior. If I don't receive respectable service, I'll gladly walk out without paying.

And it's up to you to pay (tip) waiters reasonably. So if you don't think it's fair for an employee to be paid unreasonably despite good service, then why is 10% good for average service? Take away tipping and there's no need for this diuscussion, but then that place where you only spend $10 a meal will then be $15+ a meal. Whereas you can keep spending $10, tip $2, and still save money compared to a place that pays waiters a fair hourly wage w/o tips.

1)

If you made $2.13 an hour doing that job, and your actual income was based solely off tips, then I'd bet not only would you expect a tip, but a percentage that fairly represented the quality of work.

Cashiers get paid an hourly wage, invalid comparison.

I wasn't comparing cashiers to waiters, I was comparing them to the guy who puts your Big Mac,fries, and napkins in the bag and hands it to you. Bag packing guy is already getting paid minimum wage.

Under the current system, I have no problem giving a waiter a couple bucks for each person I'm paying for. I still think the system is ridiculous and should be held to the same minimum wage standard as any other company.

1) I'll spare the overdramatization just as soon as you spare the mischaracterization. When they arrive they have to help stock and set-up the restaurant for the shift, there's their own sidework as well as that of others if they can't get to it in the middle of a shift, and then there's doing the things you said, for 4 or more different table coming in at different times with different amounts of people and different needs/expectations.

Say I have a 5 table section, you are the 3rd one to come in, and by the time you get your food I have 2 more tables added. Now you need a refill, but I'm taking the order of one table, who said they were ready but then can't make up their minds while I'm taking the order, and it's a party of 8. I then have to put the long order in, and stop by other tables needing items, not just yours, and I have to do the introduction to that 5th table and get their drink order. Then I go to get drinks, and other table refills, including yours, will be added to that, including sauces, napkins, etc. Oh, but there's no ice because that person is slacking or can't get to it., So I have to fill up ice. Oh, there's no cups because the same person on that station isn't getting them, so I have to get those. No lemons? Back to the bar or cooler to get those. I run it all out. Now another table is ready to pay. They give me a $100 dollar bill on a $25 ticket, now I have to hunt other servers down, while they are busy too, to get change, or bother the manager, who is also very busy, to get into the office, open the safe, and then has to log the money taken out, All this while other tables need service too.

And let's say on top of all of that, my party of 8 is sucking down drinks at a ridiculous rate, asks for something every single time I'm at or near the table, and I'm still trying to get items for my other 4 tables, including the check, change, boxes, napkins, sauces, all of which I'm reliant on others to keep stocked, or I have to do it myself, taking up even more time. From the outside, all that doesn't seem completely terrible, until you factor in the collective time all of that takes while to a customer it seems like "all they have to do is fill up a drink." Really there's a lot more going on. There is a lot of time and task management, and only the good servers can get a handle on it, but even they time to time can get stuck in the most common server term: the weeds, where the server is buried in tasks needed for each table and that's all they are doing all night long is playing catch-up.

And this is just a glimpse of a busy night. I won't even get into what all has to be done when we run out of rolled silverware, clean dishes, or clean cups in the middle of a busy shift, or any of the many other items that need stocking during a shift.

I have the answer right here!!!

I don't see how that's my problem, if you can't handle it, get another job or they need more servers

Or something along those lines...

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

I wasn't comparing cashiers to waiters, I was comparing them to the guy who puts your Big Mac,fries, and napkins in the bag and hands it to you. Bag packing guy is already getting paid minimum wage.

Do you hold the person packing up your big mac to the same standard as the ToGo person at a sit down restaurant?

Mighta worked out for me but she was too heavy. Favorite moment was when she said to me "I don't want a relationship, just someone to come over and not spend the night. What are your plans this evening?". It was there but I just couldn't do that. She wasn't ugly, I just don't digg on bigger ladies. So she was rewarded the only way I knew how in that situation. To me in the service industries if you go above and beyond then you get a bigger tip. I hate it when I go into like a Subway and they throw out a tip jar. Excuse me pal but what in the heck? Or when I'm at a bar and the waitress suddenly expects since she winks at me to give her more then a buck for a $4 beer. Lots of bullspit ways people try and get tips but the whole 15% is mandatory crap is just stupid to me. If I want to tip a girl $20 on a $10 bill guess what I'll do that. Or on the other hand if you give me crappy service and the bills $60 I might leave ya $5. To me its all about the attitude and approach

15+% is standard for GOOD service. From years of waiting experience, nobody should be expected to tip standard for sub-standard service, and any server who expects such despite poor service is a dink and doesn't belong in that profession. You all want to know the thing servers really hate most? Crappy servers. Servers are heavily reliant on good teamwork, and a bad server also gives the restaurant a bad rep, which is terrible for business. Servers hate bad servers just as much as customers do, if not more. Good servers also get pissed at themselves if they get too busy and their level of service slips at a table because of it. We hold ourselves to a high standard just as an self-respecting worker in any occupation does.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:38 PM ----------

Under the current system, I have no problem giving a waiter a couple bucks for each person I'm paying for. I still think the system is ridiculous and should be held to the same minimum wage standard as any other company.

I already said To Go people don't get minimum wage. They get a dollar less than minimum wage. They also aren't doing that job 40 hours a week. I didn't realize throwing a wrapped up soy burger into a bag was the same as verifying a steak was cooked correctly, making sure the side items are correct and all there, that everything is boxed nicely, that everything is packed in a neat manner so nothing spills, making sure all the necessary sauces are included, then bagging everything up after labeling it. It's not their hard work you are tipping, it's a couple bucks for gratitude of a neatly prepared order at a discounted price because of lower wages. And even then To Go people never expect/want more than just a couple bucks.

I have a weird tipping system, basically you're at least getting 20% no matter what (unless you are honestly THAT bad that I have to give you 10%) and from there i'll round up to the nearest dollar if service was ok. If service was good then i'll round to the nearest multiple of 5. I just prefer whole numbers for some reason.

Do you hold the person packing up your big mac to the same standard as the ToGo person at a sit down restaurant?

I haven't ate fast food since I was 16, but I realize that I'd be taking a risk in service/quality by eating at a fast food place. With that said, I hold fast food places to the same standards as your "ToGo sit down places" as far as service is concerned. If you already get paid standard minimum wage, I'm not going to tip you.

I'll tip a delivery guy, but I'm not tipping the Sonic girl who skates out to my car.

I have the answer right here!!!

Or something along those lines...

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

lol, I also forgot to mention that unlike an outdoor labor job, you can't really take a break when it's busy, you can wind up working from 4Pm to 2 AM w/o a break, and while you are doing everything that you are, you have to keep smiling and not show signs of frustration, or your tip suffers. If the kitchen screws up, it gets taken out on you, especially come tip time, if anything goes wrong that's out of the server's hands, the tip can be impacted through no fault of their own. But despite all the problems, I still content it's the best part-time job one can get.

I have a weird tipping system, basically you're at least getting 20% no matter what (unless you are honestly THAT bad that I have to give you 10%) and from there i'll round up to the nearest dollar if service was ok. If service was good then i'll round to the nearest multiple of 5. I just prefer whole numbers for some reason.

I like to throw out weird tips, like on a $15.00 tab one time I left 6.38... Because when I get odd tips I have to stop and figure out why (IE 18%).

But my dream would be to have my phone number secretly hidden in the reciept... Let's say my number was 804-672-1476

It'd go like this:

Total: $8.04

Tip: $6.72

Total $14.76

Then I'd write to the hot bartender "That's my number!"

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:46 PM ----------

lol, I also forgot to mention that unlike an outdoor labor job, you can't really take a break when it's busy, you can wind up working from 4Pm to 2 AM w/o a break, and while you are doing everything that you are, you have to keep smiling and not show signs of frustration, or your tip suffers. If the kitchen screws up, it gets taken out on you, especially come tip time, if anything goes wrong that's out of the server's hands, the tip can be impacted through no fault of their own. But despite all the problems, I still content it's the best part-time job one can get.

Absolutely, honestly it's why I rationalize my smoking. That's the ONLY way I can leave the bar area during a busy night. Although on a busy night, I'm allowed to show my frustration because if the ***** is inconveniencing me, there's 45 other people at the bar begging to be better customers than her or him :)

I like to throw out weird tips, like on a $15.00 tab one time I left 6.38... Because when I get odd tips I have to stop and figure out why (IE 18%).

But my dream would be to have my phone number secretly hidden in the reciept... Let's say my number was 804-672-1476

It'd go like this:

Total: $8.04

Tip: $6.72

Total $14.76

Then I'd write to the hot bartender "That's my number!"

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 05:46 PM ----------

Absolutely, honestly it's why I rationalize my smoking. That's the ONLY way I can leave the bar area during a busy night. Although on a busy night, I'm allowed to show my frustration because if the ***** is inconveniencing me, there's 45 other people at the bar begging to be better customers than her or him :)

I quit smoking but started back up when I started waiting tables again. I do miss bartending, I just couldn't do the consistently late hours while also going to school.

I for some reason feel that sacase is the guy that drinks 7 sodas in a sitting. I also feel like he is the guy that is cordial but not polite. Servers* probably ignore him because of this.

Advice for him, ASK for 2 sodas up front and say, I don't care if you charge me extra, but I drink a lot of soda. They won't charge you and you have told the server to watch your refills...Please and Thank you fixes the other problem.

Note: *Servers, not servants.

sean only eats at 7-11 or waffle house. He tips just fine respectively. EDIT: And apparently Sonic...then doesn't tip the girl. Get your lazy butt out of the car and get it.

I already said To Go people don't get minimum wage. They get a dollar less than minimum wage. They also aren't doing that job 40 hours a week.

Maybe it's just my area, but they do in fact get paid minimum wage here. Even so, a dollar less than minimum wage isn't going to make me care enough to dig out an extra dollar. The restaurant I worked at, Vaughn's Cafe, didn't even have that position as it was part of the waiter's job. Whether they work part-time or full-time is not of my concern.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

sean only eats at 7-11 or waffle house. He tips just fine respectively.

I've never been in a 7-11 or a waffle house. I eat out about 4 times a year and when I do it's usually at a fine dining place that already has the tip included. When I was a teenager, I used to be the guy who drank 7 sodas in a sitting. I was also the kid who begged mom to give the waiter an extra dollar or two if the waiter made an effort to entertain in conversation.

sean, Olive Garden is not fine dining.

EDIT: Skip the Waffle House at this point then. When you move out it might remind you of home.

I've never been to Olive Garden.

This is usually my go to spot.

This is still going to sound a little sad, but I don't live with my parents. . . I live across the street from them. It's my house though, and I actually like spending time around my family so it's a pretty good situation.

I quit smoking but started back up when I started waiting tables again. I do miss bartending, I just couldn't do the consistently late hours while also going to school.

That's why I love my 2pm summerschool class and 6-8pm MW other summer class... I can stay up till 5 or 6am winding down after work and still not be drunk/hungover for class... Yeah I've not worked the industry a couple of times and didn't smoke then, but when you're in the minority if you DON'T smoke, you kinda want to start smoking...

And Sean, you're saying that you don't have a problem with places that include the tip for you?

I say that's just you not wanting to decide anything...

Maybe it's just my area, but they do in fact get paid minimum wage here. Even so, a dollar less than minimum wage isn't going to make me care enough to dig out an extra dollar. The restaurant I worked at, Vaughn's Cafe, didn't even have that position as it was part of the waiter's job. Whether they work part-time or full-time is not of my concern.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

I've never been in a 7-11 or a waffle house. I eat out about 4 times a year and when I do it's usually at a fine dining place that already has the tip included. When I was a teenager, I used to be the guy who drank 7 sodas in a sitting. I was also the kid who begged mom to give the waiter an extra dollar or two if the waiter made an effort to entertain in conversation.

I was just saying what would be nice for To Go people, justifying that they do actual work, the majority of orders To Go people don't get tipped, and they are used to that. Normally they host or serve as well, there is no person, or they are very rare, that strictly does To Go and has no other job.

Archived