Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Potatoes bad, nuts good for staying slim, Harvard study finds

China

Potatoes bad, nuts good for staying slim, Harvard study finds

Everyone knows that people who chow down on french fries, chug soda and go heavy on red meat tend to pile on more pounds than those who stick to salads, fruits and grains.

But is a serving of boiled potatoes really much worse than a helping of nuts? Is some white bread as bad as a candy bar? Could yogurt be a key to staying slim?

The answer to all those questions is yes, according to the provocative revelations produced by a big Harvard project that for the first time details how much weight individual foods make people put on or keep off.

The federally funded analysis of data collected over 20 years from more than 120,000 U.S. men and women in their 30s, 40s and 50s found striking differences in how various foods and drinks — as well as exercise, sleep patterns and other lifestyle choices — affect whether people gradually get fatter.

The findings add to the growing body of evidence that getting heavier is not just a matter of “calories in, calories out,” and that the mantra: “Eat less and exercise more” is far too simplistic. Although calories remain crucial, some foods clearly cause people to put on more weight than others, perhaps because of their chemical makeup and how our bodies process them. This understanding may help explain the dizzying, often seemingly contradictory nutritional advice from one dietary study to the next.

“The conventional wisdom is simply, ‘Eat everything in moderation and just reduce total calories’ without paying attention to what those calories are made of,” said Dariush Mozaffarian of the Harvard School of Public Health, who led the study published in Thursday’s edition of the New England Journal of Medicine. “All foods are not equal, and just eating in moderation is not enough.”

w-weight23-g.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

Potatoes aren't the enemy here, it's the inactive people who eat too much of them. Of course you're gonna gain weight eating so much of the starchy carbs if you have a desk job and don't work out.

Not every food can be like celery where you burn more calories digesting it.

Thats pretty much how Ive dropped 40 lbs in the last few months. Stopped eating breads, potatoes and sugar (even most fruits). I will have some fruit thats low glycemic once in a while, and maybe a slice of rye toast once every couple weeks now, but its been working out pretty well for fat loss thus far. Also really increased the H2O intake too.

Probably :ols:

The sad thing about the potato is that most of the nutrients are in the skin or that layer immediately under it... except that the skin is now covered with all those delicious pesticides and chemicals.

I love the skin on the potatoes whether it's a baked potato or mashed. I try to wash it the best I can and just don't think about what's still on there :)

I love the skin on the potatoes whether it's a baked potato or mashed. I try to wash it the best I can and just don't think about what's still on there :)

I try to grow my own when I can, though now that I live in the south and dont have a root cellar any longer, its tough to keep them year round. Another reason why Im laying off the taters in general these days. I miss them most at breakfast.

Well you have that problem with any food, so potatoes aren't unique.

well i'm still alive and healthy. if in my later years i begin to mutate and have super powers or just start to decompose then i guess i'll know what may have contributed to it.

biggests wastes of money. Unless you have a thyroid issue, exersie and you can eat what you want. if you want to be ripped or a body builder, eat what you want.

i will never give up food i enjoy. last night? downed a can of BBQ Pringles. love them. but tonight? My insanity workout!

biggests wastes of money. Unless you have a thyroid issue, exersie and you can eat what you want. if you want to be ripped or a body builder, eat what you want.

i will never give up food i enjoy. last night? downed a can of BBQ Pringles. love them. but tonight? My insanity workout!

That sadly doesnt work as well for everyone. Plus, at a mere 27 years of age, you might feel a bit differently in a decade or 2.

Thats pretty much how Ive dropped 40 lbs in the last few months. Stopped eating breads, potatoes and sugar (even most fruits). I will have some fruit thats low glycemic once in a while, and maybe a slice of rye toast once every couple weeks now, but its been working out pretty well for fat loss thus far. Also really increased the H2O intake too.

Nice! Congrats.... I dropped 25 lbs myself... need to lose more but I go with yougurt and nuts. I do eat wheat and rye bread but mostly just eliminated soda, walk 4 times a week and keep under 1800 calories per day. I do cheat once a week with pizza.

I don't get the milk thing. You lose more weight drinking whole fat milk?

It may be that whole milk satisifies hunger better so people consume less. Drinking skim milk does no good if you are going to drink two glasses whereas you would only drink one glass of whole milk, even if skim has 50% of the calories, your caloric intake in those two situations is greater when you drink the skim.

I am the same way when it comes to the conventional bacon and eggs breakfast - they work wonders for staving off my hunger until lunchtime and relatively low in calories (normally about 400, which for a full meal is pretty good), whereas if I have something like a bagel, I get hungry again relatively quickly.

Well you have that problem with any food, so potatoes aren't unique.

Pretty much. Organics are better, but there's still runoff and other stuff. I do think we sometimes over worry this stuff. After all, almost all of us have a non stop diet of fruits and vegetables covered with stuff for the entirety of our lives and we're still here.

Still, I like this report as I am a nut addict. Then again, you guys know that. I am what I eat.

Nice! Congrats.... I dropped 25 lbs myself... need to lose more but I go with yougurt and nuts. I do eat wheat and rye bread but mostly just eliminated soda, walk 4 times a week and keep under 1800 calories per day. I do cheat once a week with pizza.

you've done well also! eliminating soda is one things that I can feel immediately. i still drink a morning black coffee, but other than that it's water. that is one change that i feel within 2 days of making it. it's easy for me, but i know for many people it is very difficult to give up soda.

Thanks! ( I sooooooo miss Pizza!) Congrats to you too!

Have you tried wearing a pedometer too? I found that I lose more lbs if I ensure 20k plus steps daily along with the diet. I used that philosophy to break a few plateaus already. I also get a good full body workout in a few times a week. Working my knee back up to P90x.

Most people are lazy.

Sure, if you work your ass off and do Insanity or whatever, you can eat whatever you want.

Likewise, if you are militant about your diet and dont ever put garbage into your system, you can probably get away with not exercising.

The problem arises when people dont exercise AND eat whatever they want. And take a look around, that's most people.

Probably :ols:

The sad thing about the potato is that most of the nutrients are in the skin or that layer immediately under it... except that the skin is now covered with all those delicious pesticides and chemicals.

Are the pesticides on the potatoes or in the potatoes? Potatoes grow underground so wouldn't be covered with sprayed pesticides. However, are some of the chemicals and pesticides leached into the plant through the leaves, and thus in the potato?

Either way, potatoes have one of the highest pesticide residues of any food. Here is what they've found in potatoes:

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=PO

Fries anyone?

FWIW, here is a list of the Mayo Clinic's "Superfoods." Most people should make an effort to eat more of these.

Almonds are the first food listed. Sweet potatoes are on there too.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health-foods/MY01108

I call BS. How can beer and bacon not be on that list?

(I actually do pretty well. I don't eat a ton of sweet potatoes or wheat germ, but otherwise hit those items pretty frequently.

The yogurt thing makes the most sense to me. I have read a lot of good things about Greek yogurt. It is a little more expensive than regular yogurt, but it is does wonders for your healthy. I find it a little weird to read about cultures and bacteria in the yogurt is what is good for you, but if it works it works.

I've been battling belly fat for years now. I would eat right and hit the gym six days a week and that was lifting AND cardio. All this and that belly fat wouldn't move very much at all.

Through years of trials and tribulations I stopped obsessing with exercise, calorie counting and educated myself. Everything in that article is true as far as my personal experience goes. I eat Greek yogurt and almond/walnuts just about every day. I also re-introduced milk back into my diet cut out bread with the exception being whole grain sandwich thins.

The only thing I do at the gym now is lift. I have stopped doing cardio (for now) and lift 4-5 days a week, one body part per workout using lighter weights and more reps.

After years of trying and busting my ass I realized that all I was doing was over-training, over-analyzing and obsessing to the point of being miserable. Now, I get up in the morning, hit the gym, get my workout in and I'm done. I have A LOT more energy then my previous regimen and that belly fat? I'm on my way and damn it feels good.

As previously mentioned, it's all based on trials and tribulations and you keep pushing until you find what works for YOU. Be realistic in your goals and realize it takes time. In some cases a long time.

Archived