Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you had the power, what would you do?

ABQCOWBOY

Flat tax based on a fair percentage. Basically limiting the IRS, no deductions, everyone pays the same, no exceptions for people or companies no one can avoid it. Rich pay more but a fair percentage, the others that avoid the system now have to be contributing members. And you don't penalize people for working hard and succeeding.

That is some change I'd get behind :)

do we get a guarantee that it won't be struck down by the supreme court?

if so, i would pass some kind of radical campaign finance reform. that's where the most advanced subversion of our democracy is taking place. the way corporations and the rich are able to control who gets elected, and buy their influence, is in my mind the single biggest threat to our country's greatness, and the biggest hindrance to positive change.

I think universal health care, a really pure, non-Frankenstein, honest version of it. This would create certain problems, but would solve so many more (esp. if in this mythical world that they would do it right)

I might make political ads that talk about anything other than the candidate's platform and plans illegal (in other words, no mudslinging. You can't talk about how bad they are only how wonderful you and your plans are). Mind you that would get overturned on freedom of speech, but still, I don't need an ad telling me that Romney is a flip flopper or that Obama is a Kenyan sleeper terrorist. Save that stuff for the debates and interviews. What I want to know about is what you will do, what you believe, and what you've done. I don't care for how well you can demonize and lie about the other guy.

I'm fairly certain that somewhere, at some point, cures for many of today's awful 'incurable' diseases have been created at one point or another, but shut down by 'the big pharma machine' because these cures would deter profits.

if I had the power, I'd put a stop to that BS.

Of all the things that this country actually needs to improve in, you'd use your Opportunity Card on weed?

Ending the war on Drugs would save billions of dollars and would reduce crime drastically. I suspect that is what he is getting at.

For me, I would repeal the legal fiction that Corporations are "persons" for purposes of free speech rights, thus allowing drastic campaign finance reform. The money influence on elections is killing this country.

For California, I would repeal all initiatives, abolish the initiative process, and force the Legislature to do its job as it does in other states.

I would pass legislation requiring corporations to maintain a certain percentage of their workforce in the United States in order to continue receiving any sort of corporate tax benefits or government contracts/business. No more outsourcing jobs to foreign country consultant staffing firms if you want to keep enjoying the fruits of doing business here.

I'm fairly certain that somewhere, at some point, cures for many of today's awful 'incurable' diseases have been created at one point or another, but shut down by 'the big pharma machine' because these cures would deter profits.

if I had the power, I'd put a stop to that BS.

Along those lines, prosecute fraudsters like Kevin Trudeau.

Anyway, alongside ix's lines, legalize ALL consensual crimes for adults 18 and older (yes, the drinking age would be 18).

I'd pass a constitutional amendment which would limit any given bill, including its amendments, to a single topic. No tacking a change in gun control laws to a health care bill, no tacking on a new law about student loans to a bill about NASA, etc.

EDIT: Actually, either that or I'd say that for every two laws passed by Congress, one law would also have to be repealed. The idea would be to require bureaucracy to constantly be "weeded" so as to eliminate as much inefficiency as possible.

Campaign finance reform. Do away with all lobbyists and sever whatever monetary influence can be brought to bear towards legislators, the president, and the supreme court.

I figure the only way this country can be deemed an actual democracy is when all enfranchised citizens have an equal opportunity to impart they're influence on collective actions that concern this country. The present state, which allows anyone with the money to have a greater influence than the actual act of voting, repudiates or at the very least diminishes what democracy we currently have in this country.

Archived