Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggo's Rag - Washington DJ hints at possible rift between Shanahan and Redskins owner Dan Snyder

robotfire

http://riggosrag.com/2011/06/16/wash...er-dan-snyder/

So the Dan Snyder/Mike Shanahan relationship could be getting rockier. This is from Eric Bickel’s Twitter, @EBJunkies. Bickel is a cohost for 106.7 the FAN DC’s Sports Junkies. He tweeted this today from the US Open.

Some interesting chatter today and yesterday hanging out with the “real media” types at Congressional. Not claiming to be breaking news- but…

Take this how you like it.. as gossip/rumors… I don’t care. But one respected media person told me he’s heard from several different..

people that Snyder already “doesn’t like Shanny”. One reason given is the losing which wears on everybody… but also that Shanny doesn’t..

“kiss his ass” the way other coaches have under Snyder. An ex given was Shanny won’t be “Snyder’s show pony” after games at Fed Ex….

click on the link to continue reading

So I copied this verbatim from HapHazard's post in the news section. How in the world does a story like that only get 200 views? The news section is one of the best parts of this site!

While I do not have any confidence in the source, with Snyders history it really would not surprise me if there was some truth to the story.

With Snyder's recent history, I'd be pretty damn shocked. He effed up with firing Turner, firing Schottenheimer, hiring Spurrier, and keeping Cerrato. Snyder has matured, I feel, in terms of becoming any owner who wants to win.

He hired Gibbs partly for the business side and partly for the "Check this **** out, I just hired JOE ****ing GIBBS!" side. However, I do believe that he shifted towards wanting to win and realizing that he hadn't been doing it the right way. After Gibbs, he was going to go to Fassel, but we all gave him hell, and he listened. We didn't want another retread; we wanted young blood, and that's exactly what he gave us. Horribly. But he did it. After that mess, he listened and fired Cerrato. He hired Bruce Allen for the historical ties and because he's kind of good at what he does as well as Shanahan so that we could win. Remember, a lot of former coaches with big names were considering coming back (Cowher, Mariucci, Fassel, and a couple of others), so I don't buy the "sexy splash hiring" idea. Snyder then went almost dead silent regarding the team and focused on suing people who say things that he doesn't like.

However, as an owner, his trajectory is heading towards wanting to win. Is he a Rooney or Kraft? Hell no. But he's at least heading that direction.

From Rich Tandler:

Report of Shanahan-Snyder rift flimsy

Slipped into the middle of a long article on the National Football Post by Chicago Tribune writer Dan Pompei is the following chunk of speculation:

*There appear to be some cracks in the relationship between Redskins owner Dan Snyder and head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen, according to those familiar with the goings on at Redskins Park. And that might mean Shanahan and Allen better win in 2011 if they want to be around in 2012.

That’s it. Only a vague source is cited, no details, no reason given for the supposed rift. Basically it’s a nothing sandwich.

But the NFP is a fairly popular site and all of a sudden Pompei’s throwaway comment is the topic for discussion on Twitter and on message boards and it has been picked up by some of the aggregators out there. So it moves beyond gossip and gains a foothold of legitimacy.

Click link for the rest.

The way I look at it, is the same way I look at the FA crap coming out of the rumor mill (or as Manley would call it, the rumor mirror). For the past decade the Redskins have been notorious for going after every big name FA there was - and though we did go after McNabb, I believe it was more of Shanahans way of finding his John Elway, not the old ways of us just throwing cash because of the name.

As we all know, after not so good starts coaches are put on a short leash with Snyder, no denying it.

So the way I look at this, is that the media knows the 'patterns' of the old Redskins, so naturally if they report on it as they would in previous years, it was more than likely to come true, while now I don't think that's the case whatsoever. I mean take everything Allen and Shanahan has been able to get Snyder to do. Party Decks, stay out of things, the HD screens, etc. I think Snyder for once is listening and I'm not going to buy this stuff. Granted it could happen, but I think this is the media looking at the Redskins old ways.

And, when it comes to Redskins fans, anything to do with Snyder in a negative way is headline worthy, so why not right?

You know what? I call bull****, because it came out of EBs mouth, anything that comes from that station is a gigantic load of ****, I am so sick to death of 106.7 the fan, its the worst station in the area. I'm sorry "sports" junkies, you wanna do a sports show? Talk about sports not your kids or some other random topic, your not hot talk anymore, your sports. Talk sports or get off the air, and that goes for the rest of the station, talk sports or GTFO.

The last time I remember people taking the Sports Junkies seriously was in like 2005, it's been awhile. I haven't heard them in awhile, have they gone down hill that bad? Or is it the typical, once you get big you don't put any effort into anything?

How does this sound like bull? Does this really seem like its farfetched? Don't know if it's true or not but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were. I totally believe that Shanny is on thin ice & the seat will get hot if we get off to a horrid start.

When Snyder did those interviews a few weeks back & his answer to all mcnabb & haynesworth questions were "ask mike and bruce" spoke volumes to me. It's plain as day that he is setting them up to take all the blame & when he fires them he will point to & bring up those "situations" as examples as to why he made the move.

So I really thought this sounded plausible when I first read it, but then I saw Tandler's bit about the report's flimsy origins, so I decided to do a bit more digging. I looked for the most recent comments from Snyder and Shanahan about each other, this is what I found:

This is Shanahan on Snyder from a December 2010 WaPo piece.

He's always been great with me, been very supportive, so if there were any comments he made, that was off the cuff to somebody else, I don't know about it. But he's always told me to do things the way that you think they should be done, and he's got the confidence in me to do it the right way, and he wants to build a football team the right way and an organization the right way. He knows there are gonna be some tough decisions, and to make the best decisions I could possibly make.

This is Snyder on Shanahan from his May interview with NBC Washington.

You know what’s interesting is there’s a little bit of a misperception here.When Joe Gibbs was here for over four seasons, nobody came to talk to me about football, and the same thing now. It was very similar between Mike Shanahan and Joe Gibbs, that they take command of the football team, and I love that.

I mean, for me it’s easy. I don’t want to be involved. I enjoyed this draft probably more than any draft we had, because these guys worked so hard at preparation. It’s very different than Vinny Cerrato, their structure, and I can tell you that I thought the trades and the moves that Bruce [Allen] made to accomplish what he accomplished was really remarkable. It was a great Redskin day, and I think people two or three years from now are gonna LOVE this draft.

The more I think about it, the more I think this story is what Tandler said it is, "a nothing sandwich."

This feels more like someone trying to stir things up and get ratings over actual news.

and people wonder why I ask the questions I do in the threads that I start.

More bull ****.

---------- Post added June-19th-2011 at 02:39 AM ----------

actually, this is what SOME want to happen, so they try to will it into existence. A chaotic Redskins organization is more interesting (edit: Profitable) than a winning one.

Yup, I said it.

and no surprise it comes from 106.7 either. Or Florio, or Peter King, or a handful of others.

Nice to see your B/S rhetoric and agenda toward the owner never changes huh John? God forbid you actually found and posted a POSITIVE on the organization that made you.

Utmost respect for Riggins the player and all he did for my ball club. Little to NO respect for Riggins the bitter, sad ol' man that attacks my ball club at every verse end.

Jackwagon.

Hail.

I'm no fan of Riggins, but he's not the author. It's just some guy using Riggos Rag as the name of the site.

As for the content, I'll choose not to believe it until Snyder actually does something to better indicate his frustration with Shanahan.

Nice to see your B/S rhetoric and agenda toward the owner never changes huh John? God forbid you actually found and posted a POSITIVE on the organization that made you.

Utmost respect for Riggins the player and all he did for my ball club. Little to NO respect for Riggins the bitter, sad ol' man that attacks my ball club at every verse end.

Jackwagon.

Hail.

I do not know what Riggo's affiliation with Riggo's rag is, but this was written by Ryan John Estorninos.

Then I stand corrected on that. Good catch. I'd only caught the quoted twitter post and automatically assumed John had put it up, as it's the kind of tedious crap he's droned on about for years now. My bad on that.

But the point on Riggins the absolute jerk of a man is relative and stands.

Hail.

Archived