Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Opinion: In lieu of prison, bring back the lash

ACW

it's a shame that our enlightened citizens will view this as "gross" "icky" or "cruel" without any real investigation

You're right. I think that this thread should be closed to anyone who has not personally been lashed for a crime he committed.

I also propose that the Eighth Amendment be repealed, since the people who voted on it obviously didn't have enough information to make an informed judgment.

more than half the nation's prison population are incarcerated for drugs. It's a problem they can't solve simply with a "war." Certain drugs should be, IMO, regulated as alcohol is. Sad we apparently learned nothing from the follies of the Prohibition Era. The government can't eliminate the demand nor the supply, they need to try regulating it instead, IMO. Legalization decreases the overall prison population at least a third, depending on what makes the cut, again IMO.

physical punishment is barbaric, and we should be above it by now, also IMO.

What the **** is wrong with people now a days?

As someone who has been in prison and seen how screwed up the legal system is, this just makes me sick.

Shoot lets bring back crucification too, I'm sure people would love that. We can even put it on pay-per-view to cover the cost of imprisonment.

Today' date=' the prison-industrial complex has become little more than a massive government-run make-work program that profits from human bondage. To oversimplify — just a bit — we pay poor, unemployed rural whites to guard poor, unemployed urban blacks.[/quote']

Wow. Just a bit. :rolleyes:

And this guy is an educator? No wonder we're getting our asses handed to us on the world stage.

You're right. I think that this thread should be closed to anyone who has not personally been lashed for a crime he committed.

I also propose that the Eighth Amendment be repealed, since the people who voted on it obviously didn't have enough information to make an informed judgment.

oh, I suppose you've been raped in prison then

there's nothing unusual about lashing people, nothing cruel about either... not compared to prison. Prison is best for people beyond hope, cause it creates an environment that is awful for the inmates (and indirectly everyone else), and is responsible for a lot recidivism. Thus the only way we really consistently prevent recidivism is by extremely long prison sentences (can't repeat if you're still in prison). We give up on reforming them, and isolate them from society, not because it's not cruel, but because we want to push criminals out of our sight.

I concur. If someone (God forbid!) murdered someone in my family I don't think 10 lashes would do justice...

well thats why i still believe in capital punishment. but thats another story altogether.

and 10 lashes for a 5 year sentence is prolly a little on the weak side.

well thats why i still believe in capital punishment. but thats another story altogether.

and 10 lashes for a 5 year sentence is prolly a little on the weak side.

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that I pretty much completely disagree with the lashings over prison. Yes, the prison system is screwed up but this isn't the way to fix it...what is? That I do not have the answer to.

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that I pretty much completely disagree with the lashings over prison. Yes, the prison system is screwed up but this isn't the way to fix it...what is? That I do not have the answer to.

Instead of paying companies that run the prisons based solely on the number of prisoners, pay them based on the number of repeat offenders. Fewer repeat offenders, more money.

So... no articulation as to why prison is less "barbaric" or "cruel" than lashings. Way to go, enlightened ones.

Instead of paying companies that run the prisons based solely on the number of prisoners, pay them based on the number of repeat offenders. Fewer repeat offenders, more money.

This is a good idea, about as likely to be implemented as lashings

So... no articulation as to why prison is less "barbaric" or "cruel" than lashings. Way to go, enlightened ones.

This is a good idea, about as likely to be implemented as lashings

One requires physical punishment, the other severely limits personal freedom but feeds you 3 times a day, has education programs, etc. It's so simple it doesn't need to be explained.

Besides, the tone of your post strongly suggests you aren't really interested in an explanation, more like you just want to continue thumping your chest and pretending you've figured something out the rest haven't.

One requires physical punishment, the other severely limits personal freedom but feeds you 3 times a day, has education programs, etc. It's so simple it doesn't need to be explained.

Besides, the tone of your post strongly suggests you aren't really interested in an explanation, more like you just want to continue thumping your chest and pretending you've figured something out the rest haven't.

I'm sure you think you just made an argument or something resembling one, but whatever

you showed they were different, nothing about how those differences mean one is worse or better

as for education programs... lol, maybe nominally, such programs are underfunded all the way across and we don't have the money to expand them to anywhere near a significant % of the inmate population. (Well, we might have the money, but won't have the will)

Just more bull**** that makes people think "everything is ok"

http://www.thecrimereport.org/archive/2011-05-ed-prisons

Only 6% Of Inmates in Education Programs, Survey Finds

Based on data from 43 states, a survey by the Institute for Higher Education Policy reported by the Wall Street Journal found only 6 percent of prisoners were enrolled in vocational or academic post-secondary programs during the 2009-2010 school year. Of enrollees, 86 percent were serving time in 13 states, suggesting other states provide little access to inmate education.

The survey, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, argued for giving inmates greater access to education—including Internet-based programs—on grounds that doing so could reduce the overall cost of incarceration by cutting recidivism. About 2.3 million prisoners in the U.S. cost about $52 billion a year. Inmate education plummeted after the 1994 federal crime law made prisoners ineligible for Pell Grants, a form of federal financial aid for college. The study said 13 states have made inmate education a priority: Washington, Idaho, California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, and New York.

Shoot lets bring back crucification too, I'm sure people would love that. We can even put it on pay-per-view to cover the cost of imprisonment.

I strongly believe that we should be doing more to publicize executions. What's the point of having capital punishment if it's hidden away? It needs to be in your face to be "real" to people. Mandatory viewing for anyone in federal prison, as well as at-risk youths.

Archived