Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Catfishing on the James River

Stew

Hey guys,

Has anyone done any fishing on the James River? I know its famous for its catfish and myself and a buddy will be driving down on Friday night to do some catfishing there. We are not taking a boat out as I am still waiting for my new tags for my trailer to come in the mail. Im thinking about Hopewell VA, but I wanted to see if any anglers out there have any experiencee on the James and know of any good spots to put some lines in the water?

http://www.catfishingva.com/images/13lg.jpg

Thanks!

Guest Spearfeather

You might consider trying Osborne Landing off of Rt. 5 in Varina. You're going to be fishing off the bottom, I assume?

You might consider trying Osborne Landing off of Rt. 5 in Varina. You're going to be fishing off the bottom, I assume?

Yeah, I was going to bottom fish with cut bait (or live bluegill after I catch a few) for the larger catfish that frequent the lower part of the James River. Is Osborne Landing on the upper or lower part of the James?

Ive got a few med/heavy and heavy action rods with some braided spider wire(20 lb and 30 lb), steel leads and size 0/1 hooks and Im pretty sure that the catfish in the James will test the limits of all of my gear, if not destroy it, and Id actually be happy if i was facing fights that big.

http://wikimapia.org/7328501/Osborne-Park-and-Boat-Landing

Well, its just east of Richmond.

There are some monster catfish in the James. You ever tried raw chicken livers for bait?

data=LtgX-e3f8ctI3U5dJtbt7EJ1ZfRneYme,qxYgiWBXkMFNwkp1IpXXlDVNf0NR3zlTbx9ME_O1btF-DaX3EUTrKw6MiW6rBM-AMjNuzl6bfnFL7iCovlr7J_EYAE81M8A2aM7xk0SGCprOc4VLmiHxOd77KdWtBVFdfiissdoRJNjDroiCzaQUc2sKEy0hNycQhiUfIVoQaGl2-b2P

Yeah, chicken livers are great for catfish and walleye actually! I have a tub of it in my freezer, and some clam snout. Im going to buy some shad and herring as well just in case. Me and my buddy have four rods a piece so we will have a couple different baits, trying to maximze our opportunity. I just hope the James is as promising as everything I have read. Apparently catfish charters will give you half your money back if you don't catch at least one citation sized catfish... Thats a 30lb catfish or half your money back. We are going to go down eventhough we don't have my boat and try our luck with some night fishing. Just need to locate a good spot.

have you been to Chicahominy Riverfront Park?

Guest Spearfeather
have you been to Chicahominy Riverfront Park?

Almost all of my fishing on the Chickahominy River has been done at Holdcroft(sp) landing on Morrisey Creek and Gordons Creek, just past Providence Forge. You can catch Catfish there, but I've mostly fished for Largemouth's there, myself.

Almost all of my fishing on the Chickahominy River has been done at Holdcroft(sp) landing on Morrisey Creek and Gordons Creek, just past Providence Forge. You can catch Catfish there, but I've mostly fished for Largemouth's there, myself.

I appreciate the insight. Is the Chicahominy river a branch off of the James? Im also reading up on Sturgeon Point and Dutch Gap. Im not sure where any of these places are, and it doesn't matter to me, just looking for the best place that I have a chance at landing a largee catfish.

Guest Spearfeather
I appreciate the insight. Is the Chicahominy river a branch off of the James? Im also reading up on Sturgeon Point and Dutch Gap. Im not sure where any of these places are, and it doesn't matter to me, just looking for the best place that I have a chance at landing a largee catfish.

It runs into the James right there at that point. There's a pier at Holdcroft on Morriseys Creek. Morrisey flows into the Chickahominy about a quarter of a mile up, from where it flows into the James.

I wouldn't go to far near Hopewell...with all of those chemical plants there.

That is good info. Any information on the area is a welcome commodity. Also, anyone know where I can fish from land... at night? I know some parks dsdon'ttay open all night, I may have to go down towards a bridge and fish the base of a bridge.

Archived