Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kirwan - Protect and serve: NFL's best O-linemen come in all forms (NFCE mentions)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8205178d/article/protect-and-serve-nfls-best-olinemen-come-in-all-forms?module=HP_cp2

When talking about the best offensive linemen in the NFL, it's easy to mention left tackles because they play an elite position and are typically the best paid. But there's so much more to the success of an offensive line.

I got opinions from three NFL offensive line coaches to go along with my own opinion in creating this list of the 25 best offensive linemen, which includes 11 tackles, eight guards and seven centers. None of the coaches had the same player ranked No. 1, which I found interesting.

Group A

(tumbleweeds)

Group B

Chris Snee, G, Giants (>): Like Roos, Snee hasn't missed a start in his six years. In the last four years he has given up just nine sacks protecting Eli Manning. Snee is a dominant run blocker and is the point of attack for an excellent Giants run game.

Group C

(crickets chirping)

Group D

Andre Gurode, C, Cowboys (>): His highest ranking by the line coaches was No. 14, but all three coaches had him in the top 20. He has tremendous sustainability when he gets on a defender and finishes his blocks. In the last three years he has only given up six sacks in 48 starts.

Group E

Jason Peters, T, Eagles (>): Peters had a bad 2008 season for the Bills, giving up close to 12 sacks, and was shipped off to the Eagles. In two years as an Eagle in a heavy passing attack he has given up just eight sacks (two in 2010). The Eagles, under new offensive line coach Howard Mudd, can get even more out of Peters, and he will be pushed.

There are a number of young O-linemen close to the top 25, and by this time next year they should make the list. Keep an eye on Cleveland's Alex Mack, Cincinnati's Kyle Cook, Seattle's Russell Okung, New England's Sebastian Vollmer, St. Louis' Rodger Saffold, and Houston's Eric Winston.

Alex Mack is excellent.

Okung gets mentioned but nothing for Trent Williams :(

The must have ignored the snapping part of Gurode's game and just analyzed his protection abilities.

If Okung had to face Ware 2x, Cole 2x, Osi and Tuck 2x, Freeny and Mathis, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, and Cliff Avril as a rookie, then I am fairly certain scouts would be drooling over Williams instead of Okung.

If Okung had to face Ware 2x, Cole 2x, Osi and Tuck 2x, Freeny and Mathis, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, and Cliff Avril as a rookie, then I am fairly certain scouts would be drooling over Williams instead of Okung.

i'm not sure how okung is someone to look out for when he played against aboslutely no one half the year and the other half he was injured, makes no sense.

WARE??? but he is nothing, and for the simple fact that he is in Wade's Def and gets to run free at the QB....you cant use him for an example......he doesn't get blocks by Tackles, he only gets to see RB's and free runs t]o the QB.......haven't you been paying attention?

WARE??? but he is nothing, and for the simple fact that he is in Wade's Def and gets to run free at the QB....you cant use him for an example......he doesn't get blocks by Tackles, he only gets to see RB's and free runs t]o the QB.......haven't you been paying attention?

You realize, of course, that even if you took Ware's name off that list the point would still be made and made loudly, right? lol...

When he did play, apparently he played pretty well...at least in pass protection, anyway.

oh i'm not disagreeing that he is/will be a good player, but he didn't have to go against top players in the nfc west. i really can't name one of the DE's or OLB's from the nfc west, save for Chris Long, but he's really nowhere near the competition that williams faced.

oh i'm not disagreeing that he is/will be a good player, but he didn't have to go against top players in the nfc west. i really can't name one of the DE's or OLB's from the nfc west, save for Chris Long, but he's really nowhere near the competition that williams faced.

Very true...TW had one helluva rookie campaign in terms of competition he faced. :yes:

i like Trent, he is better then Okung. at least to my eye ball test he is.

Unfortunately I've never even seen Okung play lol...just hoping I can see ANYONE play this season right now.

We've got some intelligent posting going on today :silly:

hahaha

But you know me, I will call it as i see it. Trent is a good Lineman,. Solid at the current time and will be dominant "in time" IMO.....Okung is too, but just slightly behind Trent.

I give out my love to the skins when necessary, but don't think that love will EVER EVER be for that little (blank) in that 89 jersey, i cant wait till he gets out of town.....hahaha

FYI..that being said, its obviously because he is a Cowboy Killer, and for the 14-13 game i was live and in person for.....but truth be told about the "other" debate that went on.....Santana is not on the level of D Jack right now. ...homer, or hater......matters not, D Jack is a much better deep threat AND WR then Moss.

What makes you think that Williams is the better player?

Archived