Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboy's offensive tackles among best and worst in NFL

Mr. Jones

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/6/14/2222958/cowboys-tackles-make-top-10-and-bottom-10-lists-in-pass-protection

II don't think I'm giving away too much right at the start by revealing that Doug Free makes the top ten, while Marc Colombo ranks in the bottom ten in the pass protection rankings for tackles released by Pro Football Focus.

The basic idea behind pass protection is to keep the opposing defenses from making what NFL scouts call splash plays - plays that turn games around. The fewer of these an offensive lineman allows, the better. Splash plays include sacks, QB hits and QB hurries, and PFF combine these in a nifty little formula:

Sacks added to three quarters of Hits and Hurries, divided by the amount of snaps in pass protection multiplied by a 100. That's the Pass Blocking Inefficiency formula, or: (Sacks + (0.75 * Hits) + (0.75 * Hurries)) / Pass Protection Snaps * 100

We've long held that Doug Free was one of the best run-blocking left tackles in the league, but his pass protection numbers come as a slight surprise, as PFF ranks Free as the fifth best tackle in pass protection last year. Completely unsurprising is Marc Colombo's rank in pass protection: Colombo ranks as the sixth worst right tackle in pass blocking efficiency.

But there is one other pass protection ranking from PFF that does come as a surprise, the 2010 team pass protection rankings.

Star-divide

Before we get into the team numbers, you'll need to hold on really tight to your beer - or other beverage of choice - on this lovely Tuesday morning, because they may come as little bit of a surprise.

The Cowboys are ranked the seventh best team in PFF's pass protection rankings. Here's what PFF say about the 2010 Cowboys:

The at times predictable Dallas offense, didn’t shy away from leaving their tight ends into pass block, and with good reason. Marc Colombo desperately needed the help, and both Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett are among the best pass blocking tight ends around. With Jon Kitna helping to turn a whopping 23.86% of pressure into sacks, it was best keeping him free of defenders. At least Tony Romo sits to pee and his 10.61% returns next year.

Clearly, the extensive use of tight ends and backs in blocking went a long way towards negating Colombo's -34.1 overall grade. And just as clearly, there's something to be said for a nimble and mobile QB as well.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Tyron Smith is an immediate upgrade over Colombo at right tackle (granted, that's not much of an assumption). Couple that with backs and tight ends who do not need to stay in to pass protect anymore. Add in a healthy Romo sits to pee, and this offense could go places.

Now if somebody could just fix the defense, please.

Yay Doug Free.

Ha Marc Colombo.

That's all I got lol...

That's about all there is to get, interesting number crunching though. It's really amazing to me just how bad Columbo and Davis were for the Cowboys last year. Even with the many rookie mistakes I'm excited to see how far Tyron Smith will upgrade the RT position.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Tyron Smith is an immediate upgrade over Colombo at right tackle (granted, that's not much of an assumption). Couple that with backs and tight ends who do not need to stay in to pass protect anymore. Add in a healthy Romo sits to pee, and this offense could go places.
Lots of assumptions and banking a ton on Smith.
Now if somebody could just fix the defense, please.
What, you mean more that an Injured 2nd rounder LB and 5th round CB? :)

Well, considering how many puke running backs have over 1,000 yards in a season, this only makes sense.

:rolleyes:

Dear lordie, the puke hype machine rolls on...:ols:

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

didnt espn rank trent ahead of free jw. and why is this cowboy crap on here go to your own website i would never go to the cowboys website, in fact i dont think i have visited thier actual website in my entire life.

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 07:37 PM ----------

I did.

They said they'd be fair with me.

They weren't...even when I predicted a puke win during a big week for them.

...and they banned me.

Pathetic.

:rotflmao:

I did.

They said they'd be fair with me.

They weren't...even when I predicted a puke win during a big week for them.

...and they banned me.

Pathetic.

:rotflmao:

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the CZ (the first two letters in czar), would you by chance? :D

Lots of assumptions and banking a ton on Smith.

What, you mean more that an Injured 2nd rounder LB and 5th round CB? :)

It doesn't take a lot for the top ranked OT in a draft to be better than one of the worst in the NFL. Even with the coaching change and Columbo's complete ineptitude the Cowboys had the #7 offense yardage wise.

As for the defense, they were 1 player different from the #2 defense in 2009. The difference was they played lazy, undisciplined, heartless football. Wade Phillips is a fantastic Xs and Os guy, but a terrible leader of men. I don't expect them to be great under Ryan, but I do expect that they're put in more effort than they did last year. As a whole the Cowboys of late have succumbed to a sense of entitlement and only really put in any of the effort needed to win when their backs were against the wall. Hopefully Ryan can light a fire without burning them out. It'll be a very interesting season.

It doesn't take a lot for the top ranked OT in a draft to be better than one of the worst in the NFL. Even with the coaching change and Columbo's complete ineptitude the Cowboys had the #7 offense yardage wise.

As for the defense, they were 1 player different from the #2 defense in 2009. The difference was they played lazy, undisciplined, heartless football. Wade Phillips is a fantastic Xs and Os guy, but a terrible leader of men. I don't expect them to be great under Ryan, but I do expect that they're put in more effort than they did last year. As a whole the Cowboys of late have succumbed to a sense of entitlement and only really put in any of the effort needed to win when their backs were against the wall. Hopefully Ryan can light a fire without burning them out. It'll be a very interesting season.

I got news for you. Ryan is a DC who is streaky. He will put together a gameplan that will either rock the opposition or get torched for 500 yds and 35 pts.

Yes but busts, disappointments and slow learners are all to common a draft pick result. Top picks that end this way just hurt more due to higher expectations.
It can be a difficult task to re-motivate someone (or in this case a group) once they've become lazy and undisciplined. It will the interesting to see how the team reacts.

As a whole the Cowboys of late have succumbed to a sense of entitlement and only really put in any of the effort needed to win when their backs were against the wall. Hopefully Ryan can light a fire without burning them out. It'll be a very interesting season.

I disagree. I think when their backs are against the wall that's when they pull the el foldo. They only perform like champs when nothing is on the line. Just check the records in December.

I disagree. I think when their backs are against the wall that's when they pull the el foldo. They only perform like champs when nothing is on the line. Just check the records in December.

Last two years Cowboys actually had winning records in December and January.In 2009 specifically they were looking at playoff elimination unless they win out against the undefeated Saints, Redskins, and NFCE leading Eagles. They seem to fold when they go into games acting like they "should" win, like the Giants playoff game in 2007, or the first few games last year. But when no one is giving them a chance is when they usually show up and kick ass, like the game at the Medowlands last year, Saints or Eagles in 2009.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived