Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Life Lessons From Dirk and Lebron

kleese

Www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com

In 2006, Dirk Nowitzki failed. He endured the pain of losing when everyone thought he was going to win. He bore the brunt of the criticism following the Mavericks loss (after being up 2-0 in the Finals) to the Heat. He was 27 years old at the time, and over the next several years, despite some impressive individual performances, he and his team continued to fail. With each passing season, Dirk quite visibly wore the anguish of not bringing home a ring to his team and city. But he kept swinging.

In 2011, Lebron James failed. After back to back seasons of leading the team with the best record in the NBA, his Cavaliers failed to reach the NBA Finals for the second year in a row. He was 26 years old at the time. Then, he bailed.

Someday soon, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert needs to let go and move on from Lebron James. But his tweet following the Mavericks win tonight was spot-on and quite appropriate. After congratulating the Mavericks organization, he concluded simply: “There are no shortcuts. None.”

Dirk Nowitkzi understands this. Lebron James does not.

After getting bounced by the eight seeded Warriors in 2007, I didn’t think the Mavericks had any prayer of ever winning with Dirk as their leader. I firmly believed their window had closed and that Mark Cuban and their organization were chasing dreams by signing older players, seemingly scrambling to build around Dirk one last time. It appeared to me that their ship had sailed.

But I underestimated their determination, desire, and heart. What we saw celebrating on the court in Miami tonight was a decade of hard work and perseverance come to fruition. We saw a team forged by disappointment and heartbreak, come together and set aside everything for one common goal. The road from Dallas to NBA Champions included no shortcuts.

Dirk also seems to understand that you never win a championship just for yourself. How gratifying must it feel for him to hoist that trophy for the owner who believed in him, the teammates who supported him, and the fans that love him?

Let’s say Lebron wins a title someday (I believe he will). Ask yourself this…who, besides himself, is he winning it for? The city of Miami? Please… they had to send out instructional videos (no exaggeration) on how to be a good fan, which included incentives if you arrived in your seat in time for tip off. In a few days, Dirk is going to sit on a float in a parade and hold that trophy over his head while the city of Dallas chants his name. No matter what happens in the future, it will never be the same for Lebron. His decision to take a shortcut sealed his fate in that department.

Each of the two players mentioned above had a similar crossroads experience at essentially the same point in their career. One chose the easy way out; one dug in his heels and fought. Tonight, as so often winds up happening, the fighter won.

When Lebron made the choice to leave Cleveland for Miami and did it in a way that humiliated his former team and city, he revealed so much. He quit on his team. He quit on his city. He quit on his fans. Most telling though…he quit on himself. Maybe now, we know why.

You guys need to stop hatin'. I mean what has Dirk really done? Sure, he won a championship and got to hold a trophy, but after that night he still has to go back to his old routine, with his old life, and old problems. After getting his ring, he's still not Lebron. So, what has Dirk really won?

(Good article. Well written too)

You guys need to stop hatin'. I mean what has Dirk really done? Sure, he won a championship and got to hold a trophy, but after that night he still has to go back to his old routine, with his old life, and old problems. After getting his ring, he's still not Lebron. So, what has Dirk really won?

(Good article. Well written too)

fry_see_what_you_did_there_scaled_RE_Blind_kitten-s300x375-88086-580.jpg

Lebron took a step this year. Last time he went to the finals, he got swept, right?

This media is freakin' insane. Of course Lebron did nothing to stop them from having all sorts of liberties with him; its hard to say that part of it isn't related to media resentment (as in, he didn't have a press conference, he had an exclusive interview with Jim Gray). Did he make huge PR mistakes? Yes. Do I think he's being treated differently by the media? Absolutely. Go to the NBA playoffs thread and look at the questions he was asked; compare them to to questions asked to all the other "superstars" after getting bounced... many folks at the beginning of the year even said that the Heat still had to grow and while powerful might not be the favorites to win the Championship (even though they hyped up their crowd and their introduction). So what.

I never understood exactly how the hate originated for LeBron.

It was about him deciding to go from the Cavs to the Heat. I don't see the evil in that.

Is there more to it than that ?

Am I missing something, because last I checked, players and free agents had the freedom to choose what teams they go to.

It was about him deciding to go from the Cavs to the Heat. I don't see the evil in that.

Am I missing something, because last I checked, players and free agents had the freedom to choose what teams they go to.

It wasn't the decision, it is how he did it. Two Hall of famers joined the Celtics and there was little more than a press release, no backlash. James decides to let all his Cleveland supporters and teams hoping to sign him twist in the wind until he announces it on ESPN with an hour dedicated to how awesome he is.

Wizard fans were the ones who saw Lebron for who he really was way before the media did. Lebron puts himself over everybody else. Just think about this self-given nick names. King James. Chosen-1. Who does that? Especially before they have won anything. Than all of his constant whining and complaining all season. On and off the court.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! Please stop with the excuses of the media asking him dumb questions. Athletes answer dumb media questions all the time, but they rarely answer the way Lebron has answered his question.

He is the villain in sports right now, and he asked for it.

Mick--

You are missing SO much. SO much.

The Decision was pure public humiliation for the city of Cleveland. Once people found out he was going to hold the hour long cliffhanger special everyone assumed he'd be going back to Cleveland... Because no one thought he'd be so heartless as to do all that and then announce he was leaving.

And then it comes out that this plan was most likely hatched months or years in advance and that his play in the playoffs his last season in Cleveland very well may have been affected. A full year earlier Trevor Ariza said he didn't sign with Cleveland because Lebron wouldnt talk to him or commit to anything. He said he got the impression Lebron was as good as gone. This made it hard for the Cavs to build the roster.

Upon arrival in Miami Lebron and his two buddies hold a public pep rally fit for a championship celebration.

He dubbed himself "Chosen One" and has it tattooed on his back and said he wants to be a "global icon."

But he took the easy way out heading to Miami where he could share the pressure with Wade. Jordan didn't win in his first six years either... It's like if he would have decided at that point to give up on Chicago and joint Isaiah in Detroit or Hakeem in Houston.

Lebron packed it in at age 26 and headed for an easier route. He showed much about his competitive nature by choosing Miami. It was weak. Not illegal. Weak.

He wants his cake and he wants to eat it too. He wants hourlong shows dedicated to nothing bit himself, he wants to be the first sports billionaire, he wants to be like his idol MJ, but he doesn't want to do it the way all the other stars did it. He tried to take a shortcut and he was insulting and immature along the way.

And how about his recent comment about his detractors? We all have to "wake up and go back to our lives" in the morning an he gets to wake up and live his life.

The guy just doesn't get it. His shrinking effort in the Finals said it all.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, when it's all over for Lebron, he'll be an NBA Champion and these types of conversations and criticisms will be pointed to as his "motivation" and his "requiem." And I generallly don't have any feeling one way or the other on Lebron. I thought what he did with the "decision" was pretty classless, so maybe he lacks tact. No one can argue that the guy has been successful in the NBA.

I'm dumbfounded that people still are questioning where the hate comes from. He's arrogant, but not in a way that breeds team success obviously. He is a prick. He's incredibly self-centered. He's about as mature as a sophomore in high school. He forced Cleveland to carry around his stupid high school posse with the team. He was almost left off Team USA for being so uncoachable and demanding. Can you fathom that? The best in the world almost not making the Olympic roster for being such an ass. He doesn't come off as media-savvy whatsoever. He just oozes smug and "I'm better than you." Why would anyone like him? This doesn't even include The Decision.

Fergasun- Get over it. He's the self-proclaimed King. He wants that kind of attention, so when he fails, he's going to take a beating. Are you really complaining that the media's post-game questions weren't fair for a guy whose ego is in the stratosphere and who's star power is greater than almost any athlete in the world outside of Tiger and Kobe?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, when it's all over for Lebron, he'll be an NBA Champion and these types of conversations and criticisms will be pointed to as his "motivation" and his "requiem." And I generallly don't have any feeling one way or the other on Lebron. I thought what he did with the "decision" was pretty classless, so maybe he lacks tact. No one can argue that the guy has been successful in the NBA.

Yes he has, but he will never get full props because of the way he portrays himself.

Yea, I didnt know about the rest of that Cleveland-Miami storyline, because without digging real deeply into, all I ever heard from the media headlines, and people's posts, was that he simply "Dissed Cleveland". And I was like, "Sooo ?" But now I understand. And he does sound like a deuche.

I wasn't a LeBron hater until I watched "The Decision". Why couldn't he "just go to Miami"? Who are the people that take care of his PR? How come he just couldn't walk into Dan Gilbert's office and say "thanks for drafting me and the opportunity to be in the NBA"? The one hour show is the worst "Decision" he has ever made.

It doesn't bother me he went to Miami because he had the freedom to do so. If LeBron doesn't change the people who take care of his PR the hate will continue until he retires.

I'm dumbfounded that people still are questioning where the hate comes from. He's arrogant, but not in a way that breeds team success obviously. He is a prick. He's incredibly self-centered. He's about as mature as a sophomore in high school. He forced Cleveland to carry around his stupid high school posse with the team. He was almost left off Team USA for being so uncoachable and demanding. Can you fathom that? The best in the world almost not making the Olympic roster for being such an ass. He doesn't come off as media-savvy whatsoever. He just oozes smug and "I'm better than you." Why would anyone like him? This doesn't even include The Decision.

Wait a minute here. The question I asked, was not "Why do people hate him ?" At this point, it's obvious.

The question I asked was why was there so much hatred originating over which team he freely chose to play for.

He set the expectation at 7 championships with the Heat. I'll argue that he will not have success fulfilling that.

You'll argue or predict? I'll predict that he won't obtain 7 rings. Lebron's success should be measured objectively, in relation to his cotemporaries, not based on some unreasonable, idiotic goal (even if its his). The man is 26, has already won an MVP award, has made 2 finals appearances, is recognized as one of the best defenders in the league.

I can see this all setting itself up for next year, or 2013, or 2014, or 2015: "Lebron, how good does it feel to finally win one, after all the criticism that you've recieved from fans and media. Blah blah blah." "Well, I knew it was only a matter of time, and I used the criticism as fuel, blah blah blah, its an honor to be compared to Jordan, blah blah blah, my teammates have been so great and so supportive, blah blah, I only wish Cleveland the best, blah blah."

This **** is driving me crazy already and it hasn't even happened yet.... ARRRGGGGHHHHHH....... I hate lebron too now dammit

After they got eliminated I laughed and enjoyed his failing. Then I thought to myself, maybe now he'll realize what an ******* he's been. Maybe now he'll work on perfecting his game in the offseason and forget the whole King James bull****. Then he made that comment in his PC. This dude doesn't get it and looks like he never will. I hope this mother****er never sniffs a trophy. **** him.

I think it's the me-ism and the petulance really. I think it's being King James before he won anything. How can you be coronated before you win the crown? More recently, I think it's the way he jilted his home town and honestly, the way he teased and strung along Chicago, New Jersey, and a host of other teams, esp. in hindsight when he knew exactly what he was planning to do for more than a year.

Mostly though, it's that we as a culture love to do two things. Build heroes up and tear them down. Lebron also just makes it really easy to dislike him. He's just the epitome of the spoiled athlete although ironically he is not really that way on the court as he has somewhat more of a pass first and defensive mentality which is normally considered selfless.

Still, his expressions and his quotes and his attitude just rubs people the wrong way.

Does anyone think he has ever been "humbled" by a coach since he was like 8 years old playing AAU? Or do you think it's more like all of his coaches have been so happy to have him on their team they let him get away with anything. Then ESPN is televising his high school games, he skips college and is drafted #1 overall and basketball fans go crazy for him when he busts onto the NBA scene. Why should fans blame him for being a dope when they helped create "him" and his personality?

Archived