Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion versus Haynesworth

Burgold

In 2000, Deion Sanders conned Snyder and Cerrato into an enormous contract that amounted to a a one year rental and earned him the derision and hate of 'Skins fans for a decade. Has Albert Haynesworth surpassed Sanders. Is he now the top dog of free agent hatred? Some say that Deion had little left in the tank, but his efforts especially in the punt return game were pretty laughable at times. He was still an okay corner though in my book DG was better. Haynesworth was supposed to be in his prime and never really had that game where he took it over and that slept his way through about a year and a half landing so deep in the doghouse that the coaches didn't even want to activate him?

So, where do they rank and is Haynesworth so bad that he makes the Deion mistake forgivable in retrospect or was Sander's cowboyness on top of his grifting Snyder and the 'Skins still make him free agent enemy no. 1?

I hate them both in equal measure.

I guess you could say at least Me-ion turned up to play, but he was a sham of his former self just out for the last big pay day when he did. Both are complete jerks. The fat man's a more embarrassing jerk, but then there's the whole 'Girls thang.

Yup, I aren't bigoted here. I detest them both equally.

Hail.

Would it have been better if I included Jermiah Trotter or Dana Stubblefield? :evil:

Sure, but without Bruce Smith it's still not right.

As for Meion v. Fat Albert, I hate Meion more. I was livid when we signed him and I'm still angry. It's hard to be as angry the second time you get fleeced to that degree.

In 2000, Deion Sanders conned Snyder and Cerrato into an enormous contract that amounted to a a one year rental and earned him the derision and hate of 'Skins fans for a decade.

Skins fans hated Deion regardless of his contract...they wanted no part of him on the team. He was already seen as a mercenary, a player-for-hire, and a former Cowboy to boot. Skins fans saw his arrogance as a perfect fit for the arrogant Cowboys, not for their blue-collar Redskins.

But even with that, nothing Sanders did comes close to causing the amount of damage to the Skins that Haynesworth has and may still cause.

Deion was a bad personality fit for Skins fans, but apparently not for the players...from what I could tell the players seemed to like him. Haynesworth was just bad all around, fans, players AND coaches lol. AH is #1 in my eyes by a long shot.

Never hated Deion at any point in his career, including here. He didn't "dupe" anyone into paying--- it was our fault for investing in an old CB clearly on the decline. Deion played fairly well for us and I dont think effort was an issue for him. Our defense went from 28th he year before he arrived to 4th the season he was here. He also provided what was by far the best moment of the 2000 season with his punt return in OT versus the Bucs.

Was he a good signing? Heck no. But I really don't hold that against him.

Fat Al quit. Literally. He got his money and then refused to even show up. When he did show up he didn't try.

No comparison between the two. Deion is a HOF'er and rightfully so. Fat Al is one of the biggest all time jokes in the league.

How can you even compare these two?

Deion is guilty of only one thing: Taking advantage of the stupidity of Dan Snyder. Dan bid huge amounts of money - against NOBODY - to win the services of guy well into his 30s who everybody else knew was on the downside of his career. Deion actually showed up on time, and played as well as he could. I don't think you can accuse him of dogging it, and it's not like he had a terrible year. He certainly wasn't worth the money, he certainly wasn't worth jettisoning the great Brian Mitchell for, and he certainly didn't have a a hall of fame year. But almost all of this is on Dan Snyder. Deion played as well as you could expect an aging veteran to play. The Skins D was pretty good and Deion even had a couple huge returns.

Haynesworth also benefited greatly from Dan Snyder's stupidity, but that's where the similarities end. He has never put in an honest season's worth of work with the Redskins, and has proven to be more than an "underachiever," which is the worst you can say for Deion's undistinguished Redskins career. Al has been a destructive distraction and an albatross upon the neck of the Redskins.

No comparison, Al is far, far worse.

I was just thinking about how not too long ago, Sanders was the symbol of everything wrong with the Redskins and generally the most hated person ever to wear the Maroon and Black. There were others in the running like Jeff George, but Deion was easily top dog because not only did he screw us with the contract, but he laughed about it and mocked us. Fast forward to today and I think Haynesworth has almost made Deion's con seem like tic tac toe. To me, Haynesworth is the biggest villain to wear the B&G simply because he really doesn't give a damn and doesn't give any effort. I think Sanders cared enough about his reputation not to want to seem like a fool on the field, but Haynesworrth doesn't even have that much integrity. Plus, all the off the field stuff...

If a guy was ever deserving of breaking his contract over the morality clause, he's our best candidate. Road rage, sexual abuse, etc. etc. For us, the guy has been a disaster on every professional level.

Never hated Deion at any point in his career, including here. He didn't "dupe" anyone into paying--- it was our fault for investing in an old CB clearly on the decline. Deion played fairly well for us and I dont think effort was an issue for him. Our defense went from 28th he year before he arrived to 4th the season he was here. He also provided what was by far the best moment of the 2000 season with his punt return in OT versus the Bucs.

Was he a good signing? Heck no. But I really don't hold that against him.

Fat Al quit. Literally. He got his money and then refused to even show up. When he did show up he didn't try.

No comparison between the two. Deion is a HOF'er and rightfully so. Fat Al is one of the biggest all time jokes in the league.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself. I mean literally, I tried as you can see above.

Skins fans hated Deion regardless of his contract...they wanted no part of him on the team. He was already seen as a mercenary, a player-for-hire, and a former Cowboy to boot. Skins fans saw his arrogance as a perfect fit for the arrogant Cowboys, not for their blue-collar Redskins.

But even with that, nothing Sanders did comes close to causing the amount of damage to the Skins that Haynesworth has and may still cause.

Deion was a bad personality fit for Skins fans, but apparently not for the players...from what I could tell the players seemed to like him. Haynesworth was just bad all around, fans, players AND coaches lol. AH is #1 in my eyes by a long shot.

I think this is the perfect analogy. I'd also like to add that he cost us Brian Mitchell and relegated Darrell Green to nickel back. Deion wasn't as good as either at the time.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 04:45 PM ----------

I was just thinking about how not too long ago, Sanders was the symbol of everything wrong with the Redskins and generally the most hated person ever to wear the Maroon and Black. There were others in the running like Jeff George, but Deion was easily top dog because not only did he screw us with the contract, but he laughed about it and mocked us. Fast forward to today and I think Haynesworth has almost made Deion's con seem like tic tac toe. To me, Haynesworth is the biggest villain to wear the B&G simply because he really doesn't give a damn and doesn't give any effort. I think Sanders cared enough about his reputation not to want to seem like a fool on the field, but Haynesworrth doesn't even have that much integrity. Plus, all the off the field stuff...

If a guy was ever deserving of breaking his contract over the morality clause, he's our best candidate. Road rage, sexual abuse, etc. etc. For us, the guy has been a disaster on every professional level.

Dana Stubblefield was the biggest thief before Haynesworth. I think Deion tried his best but he just wasn't even close to the same player he had been before his toe issues.

The only thing he was still just as good at was run stuffing. The guys holding the 1st down markers were more likely to get hit by Deion on a run than the ball carrier.

I probably agree that Dana was a bigger thief, but I think until Haynesworth Deion was the most hated. As it's off-season, I was wondering if time had mellowed that, if Haynesworth took some of the shine off the Sanders' hate, if Haynesworth surpassed Deion, or if good ole Neon was still the No. 1 in our books of guys we like to grumble about.

I probably agree that Dana was a bigger thief, but I think until Haynesworth Deion was the most hated. As it's off-season, I was wondering if time had mellowed that, if Haynesworth took some of the shine off the Sanders' hate, if Haynesworth surpassed Deion, or if good ole Neon was still the No. 1 in our books of guys we like to grumble about.

What's funny is, as you can see from a string of 3 or 4 very good posts above, there is a very logical reason to hate AH more than Deion - he put forth no effort while Deion at least tried (unless he stood a chance of contact :silly:).

I agree with that rational assessment, and I think AH is despicable, but I don't get the same sick-to-my-stomach feeling seeing him in B&G as I did seeing Deion in B&G.

Does anyone else share this irrational point of view?

It's probably because Deion was the anti-Gibbs guy and we were still thinking of ourselves in Gibbsian terms even though Westbrook, Albert Connell, and few others were much more bark than bite and this team was already slipping into me-ism which was a downfall of Norv's loose running of the ship. Deion's self-promotion was the antithesis of the character first, silent, get it done greats of the Redskins. He was the polar opposite of a Monk, or Green... although maybe he had a little Theismann or Manley in them... although despite their look at me press persona they were incredibly team oriented. Even Riggo who is probably our most successful drama queen was about more substance than promotion when all is said and done. His legend was built by the fans not self-invented. Don't get me wrong, in his prime Deion was quite good, but he also worked very hard at making sure everyone knew it. PR was at least as important as the game to him. He was style. Maybe part of the turnoff was that he forced us to realize that the Gibbs years and the glory years were well and truly over.

I'm a big Deion hater. I hate his flamboyance, his ego, and his self-love that probably led to him getting a rib or two removed if you know what I mean.

However, in terms of free agent signings, Haynesworth is far and away the worst. Like you said, Deion was known to be on the downside of his career and a young/stupid Snyder and an always-stupid Vinny said yes. Dumb mistake, but, I'm not THAT mad about it.

Haynesworth was supposed to be the top free agent in years. He was grossly overpaid and has been a huge, huge, HUGE mark of embarrassment for this franchise for going on three years. It's not even close.

I would rather have Deion's child than piss on a smoldering Haynesworth.

Hate Deion all you want, but he played more meaningful downs and was a better locker room presence vs. Fat worthlessness. Deion still could cover, but never could tackle in the run game, that said in total he never caused the embarassment that Albert Haynesworth has.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 09:48 PM ----------

I'm a big Deion hater. I hate his flamboyance, his ego, and his self-love that probably led to him getting a rib or two removed if you know what I mean.

However, in terms of free agent signings, Haynesworth is far and away the worst. Like you said, Deion was known to be on the downside of his career and a young/stupid Snyder and an always-stupid Vinny said yes. Dumb mistake, but, I'm not THAT mad about it.

Haynesworth was supposed to be the top free agent in years. He was grossly overpaid and has been a huge, huge, HUGE mark of embarrassment for this franchise for going on three years. It's not even close.

I would rather have Deion's child than piss on a smoldering Haynesworth.

Picturing this makes me laugh.

Fat Boy was worse by far.

But contrary to some previous posters, there's more to Dionne's jerkishness than taking Danny to the cleaners.

When Marty Schottenheimer was hired, he tried making the Skins more "team oriented". That's when Dionne went into full ******* mode. Dionne called Marty "shady" and refused to play for him, for awhile training and trying to get back on a BASEBALL team instead of working with the Skins. Then threatening to simply refuse to play, while keeping the 8 mil bonus Danny foolishly gave him, plus the guaranteed money he would be owed that season. Finally Dionne just retired, and came back to the NFL a year or two later as far as I recall.

So while despite all this, Fat Boy Albert Haynesworthlessness is still the worse of the two, Dionne was still a complete and total piece of crap as well.

Fat Boy was worse by far.

But contrary to some previous posters, there's more to Dionne's jerkishness than taking Danny to the cleaners.

When Marty Schottenheimer was hired, he tried making the Skins more "team oriented". That's when Dionne went into full ******* mode. Dionne called Marty "shady" and refused to play for him, for awhile training and trying to get back on a BASEBALL team instead of working with the Skins. Then threatening to simply refuse to play, while keeping the 8 mil bonus Danny foolishly gave him, plus the guaranteed money he would be owed that season. Finally Dionne just retired, and came back to the NFL a year or two later as far as I recall.

So while despite all this, Fat Boy Albert Haynesworthlessness is still the worse of the two, Dionne was still a complete and total piece of crap as well.

Dionne? Dionne Warwick played sports, wow that chick had it all going on?

Archived