Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: Major league baseball discussing division-less realignment option

Rdskns2000

That woud give teams like NY Yankees and Boston a playoff spot just about every year if they went to this format. It sure as hell will make it even tougher for small market teams to make it to the playoffs.

The ideas they have been throwing around are terrible.

Realignment is so damn simple. You can make balanced schedules WITH all being three-game series WITH interleague play. Maybe it's so obvious it's being ignored.

Step 1: Move Milwaukee to the AL Central and move Kansas City to the AL West. Three divisions of five in each league.

Now Regarding Scheduling:

Step 2: 18 games vs each team in own division, equals 72 games. Teams already play 18 division games against each team, so no change there.

Step 3: 6 games vs each other team within league, equals 60 games. Simple enough, one home series and one road against each team.

Step 4: 6 games against each team in that season's matched interleague division. That's 30 games. Division vs division would rotate just as in the NFL. Play each division every three seasons.

72+60+30=162.

Perfection.

Added* - Every team in any given division has the exact same schedule. All teams in the AL East have the same schedule, just as all teams in the NL East have the same schedule within their group. Winners of each division will have truly earned it.

As long as it eliminates the 6 Team NL Central and 4 team AL West I'm for it

That's exactly what it would do. Word is the Astros would be the NL team going to the AL. Which would make sense. It would balance out each league. Plus it would mean they play alot of games against the Rangers every year.

With that said, I'm still not certain if I want it to happen or not.

Realignment is so damn simple. You can make balanced schedules WITH all being three-game series WITH interleague play. Maybe it's so obvious it's being ignored.

Step 1: Move Milwaukee to the AL Central and move Kansas City to the AL West. Three divisions of five in each league.

Now Regarding Scheduling:

Step 2: 18 games vs each team in own division, equals 72 games. Teams already play 18 division games against each team, so no change there.

Step 3: 6 games vs each other team within league, equals 60 games. Simple enough, one home series and one road against each team.

Step 4: 6 games against each team in that season's matched interleague division. That's 30 games. Division vs division would rotate just as in the NFL. Play each division every three seasons.

72+60+30=162.

Perfection.

Added* - Every team in any given division has the exact same schedule. All teams in the AL East have the same schedule, just as all teams in the NL East have the same schedule within their group. Winners of each division will have truly earned it.

That is a good idea. How will weather delays factor with this schedule?

I'm fine with fifteen teams per league but there should still be three divisions each and only four playoff teams per league. The last month of baseball season is always so exciting because you're constantly watching the standings and seeing teams rise and fall every day. Adding more playoff teams would just water it down. Three division winners + one wild card is perfect.

Realignment messes up the current system which is fine. Is it really that devastating that the NL Central has more teams than everyone else, and the AL West has 4 teams?

Everything is fine as is, but clowns want to TINKER and TWEAK the game

NOT ENOUGH PLAYOFF SPOTS

ORIOLES IN AL EAST IS UNFAIR

It's unfair that the Yankees and Red Sox kick everyone's asses in the AL, but deal with it. The Rays have repeatedly shown the Yankees and Red Sox don't even have a stranglehold on the division.

All I hear on INSERT OTHER HOCKEY FORUM HERE is how UNFAIR the AL East is, or how UNFAIR the postseason system is, or some nonsense about how MLB has robbed a mediocre team such as the Jays at a spot in the playoffs. ****, it's not impossible for you to contend in the AL. Try harder. Again, Rays have been a shining example of how to do things in the AL East, so I don't want to hear ANY EXCUSES

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 06:09 AM ----------

Realignment = Nats and Orioles playing in the same "conference", or some dumb **** like that. Some people try to set up East versus West. This isn't the NBA or the NHL. This is Major League Baseball. MLB does not roll that way. MLB does not roll with the Orioles and the Nationals in the same division, playing so often that their rivalry is denatured.

I recently saw a suggestion from another poster on that other hockey site about radical realignment. He actually put many of the current rivals in the same division (Yankees / Mets, Cubs / White Sox, et cetera). When I asked him what in the world he could be thinking changing the divisions in such a radical manner, he claimed that rivalry didn't mean anything and he CLAIMED it was all CONVENIENT FOR TRAVEL

Why don't we just realign the NFL then and kick Dallas out of the NFC East, because it's all about "modernization" and "**** tradition"? Do you see how ridiculous realignment sounds?

I've been wanting them to realaign. Not sure I like the Astros coming over as I'd like to see Milwaukee back in the AL, but I can see the logic of sending Houston over since the NL has more true "west" coast teams. As an Orioles fan, I'm not a whiner about the Yankees and Red Sox. We've been in their division since 1954. We have to get better and play better. It can be done. I would like to see the "spending of salaries" placed on a more even level, but like someone said, TB figured it out.

two 15 team leagues means an Interleague game every day somewhere. I hate that idea.

Id rather them realign every year based on a formula of which teams spent the most money the previous year OR by taking the 4 teams that made the playoffs and making them one division.

The problem isnt that a team like the Rays cant make the playoffs every once in a while, it's that the Yankees and Sox will make it just about every year. Based solely on the fact that they have more money than everyone else.

When the DBacks were awarded a franchise, they were supposed to move to the AL West after a few years. Houston was then to move from the NL Central to the NL West.

MLB allowed the DBacks to stay in the NL West (DBacks claimed they had established rivalries with the NL West and it would be a financial hardship to move to a new league) and the inequality of the leagues remained.

As Nats fan, I would love it if we were in the AL.

I'm not a fan of NL ball. :(

The DH is stupid, dude. Can't believe its lasted as long as it has. Bottom line, if you hit, you should have to play the field. Plus there is alot more strategy involved in the NL. Can't understand why anyone would prefer the AL to the NL.

The DH is stupid, dude. Can't believe its lasted as long as it has. Bottom line, if you hit, you should have to play the field. Plus there is alot more strategy involved in the NL. Can't understand why anyone would prefer the AL to the NL.

It's "strategy" because the pitcher by and large can't hit. The NL has 7.5 man lineups while the AL can mash 1-9. MANY people prefer the latter of the two.

I wouldn't miss the DH all that much, but it remains in the AL as an improvement in entertainment value to the league. AL fans don't want to see pitchers bunt and wear that sissy little jacket on the bases when the D gets the lead runner at second! ;)

Couldn't they just as easily move the Astros to the AL West?

It's "strategy" because the pitcher by and large can't hit. The NL has 7.5 man lineups while the AL can mash 1-9. MANY people prefer the latter of the two.

I wouldn't miss the DH all that much, but it remains in the AL as an improvement in entertainment value to the league. AL fans don't want to see pitchers bunt and wear that sissy little jacket on the bases when the D gets the lead runner at second! ;)

There are more and more pitchers that can hit in the NL these days. But that's not even the point. Like someone earlier said, the NL is just a "purer" version of the game. And baseball isn't just about the 3-run HR. Stealing bases, hit and run, moving runners up, are also appreciated aspects of the game. Who wants to see some guy that can ONLY hit, and can't play defense?

And its funny you think its sissy for the pitchers that sometimes wear the jacket on the bases, yet you don't think its sissy for a guy to ONLY hit. C'mon. The NL is the better brand of baseball, hands down.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 06:20 PM ----------

Still have no defense for NL pitchers hitting as poorly as they do

Some of the NL's best pitchers have BA's below the Mendoza Line lol

Once you can pitch and hit then tell me the No-DH rule works

There are a myriad of reasons why pitchers don't hit very well in baseball. But I'm not about to list them all. And hitting .200 for a pitcher actually isn't bad. Hell, look at Dan Uggla. Here's a former all star, a guy that has hit 30 HR in each of his full seasons in the majors, yet he's only hitting about .183. Hitting a baseball is the single hardest thing to do in sports.

pretty much, i love it when a manager in the NL has to decide when a team is down 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th? does he take out the pitcher or go with a pinch hitter?

Exactly. There is no drama like this in the AL. Bor-ing.

And one of the best things about the NL is that if a pitcher decides to throw at a guy on the other team, he has to then stand in that same box later on. Unlike the sissy AL, where you have pitchers throwing at guys all the time. Sissies.

Archived