Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Ranking the NFCE LTs

Hitman21ST

Yup. Okung was the bigger, oaf-ier roadplow type LT. Not a fit at all in the ZBS, which Silverback is perfect in.
IMO, that's a terrible justification for drafting a player, especially a top 5 pick. You can't draft a lesser player just because he fits your scheme. For instance, Orakpo didn't seem like a very good fit for the 4-3 defense the Skins used to run. But the team would have been crazy to pass on him just because of that.

As for the list I don't agree with it at all. While Williams was a solid run blocker, he struggled significantly in pass protection, more than any of the other starting LT's. I would have ranked him fourth.

And how do you back that up? For a rookie, he did a damn good job against a murderer's row of pass rushers.

I agree. Also, LT is not a position people come into right from college and dominate. The O-Line takes at least 2 solid years to gel. I'm going to hold off being too critical on Trent Williams until later this year or next year. I think we're gonna see good things from him, and once the O-Line gets better Guards and a better Center in place, we might have a pretty solid line.

IMO, that's a terrible justification for drafting a player, especially a top 5 pick. You can't draft a lesser player just because he fits your scheme. For instance, Orakpo didn't seem like a very good fit for the 4-3 defense the Skins used to run. But the team would have been crazy to pass on him just because of that.

As for the list I don't agree with it at all. While Williams was a solid run blocker, he struggled significantly in pass protection, more than any of the other starting LT's. I would have ranked him fourth.

Okung and Williams were 1A and 1B. It wasn't like it was trying to decide between Joe Thomas and Trent Williams, or when the Raiders picked DHB over Crabtree. They were pretty much a coinflip between the two, with Trent being the more athletic (better fit for the ZBS) one.

Not trying to argue with the numbers, but he DID have one of the hardest rookie campaigns for a LT ever. Mario Williams, DeMarcus Ware x2, Osi Umenyiora x2, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, and I'm probably forgetting some. Numbers aside, he did fairly well.

Okung and Williams were 1A and 1B. It wasn't like it was trying to decide between Joe Thomas and Trent Williams, or when the Raiders picked DHB over Crabtree. They were pretty much a coinflip between the two, with Trent being the more athletic (better fit for the ZBS) one.

Not trying to argue with the numbers, but he DID have one of the hardest rookie campaigns for a LT ever. Mario Williams, DeMarcus Ware x2, Osi Umenyiora x2, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, and I'm probably forgetting some. Numbers aside, he did fairly well.

And doing this on one leg. He had a sprain that caused him to miss a couple of games. For a rookie, he wasn't Anthony Munoz, but he was solid enough. Put a better guard and center near him and he'll get better.

Definitely is one of the best. I remember that one play week 1 against the Cowboys where he literally drove the Cowboy player down the field for Cooley or Portis, I forget who it was. It reminded me of the movie 'The Blind Side' when he did that to the one player. Absolutely disgusting.

Let alone he's been able to hold his own against some of the best pass rushers in the game. He'll only be getting better too.

Yeah, that and the first offensive play against the Bucs where he shoved DE Stylez White down the LS opening a huge hole for Torain. Stylez was shoved pretty far and had to be a little embarrassed.

I believe Torain had close to 200 yards that game.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

According to their formula, Silverback was 9th of the 15 WORST LTs in pass blocking.

Stephon Heyer was 8th worst at RT.

Not sure how legit their formula is. Lets hope Trent hasn't even come close to his ceiling and will continue to improve.

I saw this as well. Keep in mind the pass rushers he went up against last season, though:

D-Ware (twice)

Mario Williams

Trent Cole

Jared Allen

Osi/Tuck (twice)

Freeney

Clay Mathews

Peppers

Yeah, that and the first offensive play against the Bucs where he shoved DE Stylez White down the LS opening a huge hole for Torain. Stylez was shoved pretty far and had to be a little embarrassed.

I believe Torain had close to 200 yards that game.

That game pissed me off. He had like 150+ yards at halftime and we got away from the run.

He drafted Dumerville who did pretty well in the 3-4

And now the Broncos are switching to a 4-3. What are they going to do with a 5-11 248lb tweener? DE or OLB? His best position is as a 3-4 OLB.

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 08:25 PM ----------

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

According to their formula, Silverback was 9th of the 15 WORST LTs in pass blocking.

Stephon Heyer was 8th worst at RT.

Not sure how legit their formula is. Lets hope Trent hasn't even come close to his ceiling and will continue to improve.

The statistic they're using is defined as:

((Sacks + (0.75 * Hits) + (0.75 * Hurries)) / Pass Pro Snaps) * 100

Seems pretty straight forward. Despite the murderers row of DEs he faced last year...he has to get better.

And now the Broncos are switching to a 4-3. What are they going to do with a 5-11 248lb tweener? DE or OLB? His best position is as a 3-4 OLB.

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 08:25 PM ----------

The statistic they're using is defined as:

((Sacks + (0.75 * Hits) + (0.75 * Hurries)) / Pass Pro Snaps) * 100

Seems pretty straight forward. Despite the murderers row of DEs he faced last year...he has to get better.

From what i understand they want to line up doom more out side then a a normal DT and play kinda a undersize three four front with Robert Ayers Leonard Loius and Kevin Vickerson, and then have Von Rush the QB also some times. i really don't understand the broncos have 2 great 3-4 out side line backers but they are moving to a 4-3. well pretty much i still don't get it. so i am looking for a team to follow also. which is why i am here.

but either way the skins defense still is a work they have no one other then then jarvis jenkins, they are still missing a good NT and another DE

did he? you must have a better memory than me, i know he missed a little time, i don't remember if it was/wasn't against any of our division rivals

Yes, he did not play the first game at Philadelphia when the Skins barely beat the Eagles.

Archived