Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Ranking the NFCE LTs

Hitman21ST

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/27482/fired-up-friday-left-tackle-rankings

And I like all four players a lot, though the guy sitting at No. 4 has slipped a bit in the past couple of years. Anyway, here's my list, and I'll talk more after you read it:

1. Jason Peters, Eagles
  2. Trent Williams, Redskins

3. Doug Free, Cowboys
  4. David Diehl, Giants

It not much, but I'll take it. Trent's only a sophomore, too. Looks like we'll be in a good spot for years to come.

HTTR

Definitely is one of the best. I remember that one play week 1 against the Cowboys where he literally drove the Cowboy player down the field for Cooley or Portis, I forget who it was. It reminded me of the movie 'The Blind Side' when he did that to the one player. Absolutely disgusting.

Let alone he's been able to hold his own against some of the best pass rushers in the game. He'll only be getting better too.

Yup. Okung was the bigger, oaf-ier roadplow type LT. Not a fit at all in the ZBS, which Silverback is perfect in.

Shanahan drafts smart. If he's allowed to make all the drafting decisions during his contract, this team will young and talented quickly.

Shanahan drafts smart. If he's allowed to make all the drafting decisions during his contract, this team will young and talented quickly.

being a bronco fan for long enough i would disagree with this statement first round picks

10 Trent Williams -tba

09 out of football

08 Ryan Clady -not bust

07 JArvis Moss -bust

06 Jay Cutler -not bust

04 d.j williams -average

03 Geogre foster -bust

02 Ashley Lelie -bust

01 Willie Middlebrooks -bust

00 Deltha O'Neal -bust

I was a little shocked Trent got some love in this.

I'd still say Jason Peters being the best RT is a sham. The guy was AWFUL and suddenly when he gets a QB who is staring at his side of the field and can run like a CB, he becomes a GREAT RT again.

I'd rather have Trent, personally.

being a bronco fan for long enough i would disagree with this statement first round picks

10 Trent Williams -tba

09 out of football

08 Ryan Clady -not bust

07 JArvis Moss -bust

06 Jay Cutler -not bust

04 d.j williams -average

03 Geogre foster -bust

02 Ashley Lelie -bust

01 Willie Middlebrooks -bust

00 Deltha O'Neal -bust

Yah because all drafts are one pick long and last no longer than the 1st round . All teams have draft busts but if you are a Broncos fan as you claim then you might have noted Shanahan took the Broncos to the only 2 superbowl victories in their history and is one of less than 5 NFL coaches who has ever won back to back championships and also took you to 7 of your 18 playoff seasons .

It should be also commented that Lelie was a 1000 yard WR in 2004 and was part of the three way trade which netted the Broncos a third round pick which became Ryan Harris .... Sure Lelie was a knuckle head but you cannot say that the broncos screwed the pooch drafting him

Yah because all drafts are one pick long and last no longer than the 1st round . All teams have draft busts but if you are a Broncos fan as you claim then you might have noted Shanahan took the Broncos to the only 2 superbowl victories in their history and is one of less than 5 NFL coaches who has ever won back to back championships and also took you to 7 of your 18 playoff seasons .

It should be also commented that Lelie was a 1000 yard WR in 2004 and was part of the three way trade which netted the Broncos a third round pick which became Ryan Harris .... Sure Lelie was a knuckle head but you cannot say that the broncos screwed the pooch drafting him

no he does get some good later round picks but for

marshall

doom

kuper

harris

and most his super bowl teams where not made by dan revees and previous coaches

i mean he drafted TD which put the team over the top, but A****er, Elway, Zimmerman, Sharpe, Nalen and Rod Smith where there when he got the job

then mccaffree griffen jones, and Schlereth, where all FA pick up

the only real Draftee was TD that i can think of

no he does get some good later round picks but for

marshall

doom

kuper

harris

and most his super bowl teams where not made by dan revees and previous coaches

i mean he drafted TD which put the team over the top, but A****er, Elway, Zimmerman, Sharpe, Nalen and Rod Smith where there when he got the job

then mccaffree griffen jones, and Schlereth, where all FA pick up

the only real Draftee was TD that i can think of

Shanahan also drafted Clinton Portis and Peyton Hillis after the first round. His draft record is pretty damn good compared to the league average. Everyone messes up picks every once in a while.

Shanahan also drafted Clinton Portis and Peyton Hillis after the first round. His draft record is pretty damn good compared to the league average. Everyone messes up picks every once in a while.

well hillis was a steal i didn't list him cause he left to early same with potis bt tehy should count. i am more jsut stating that he is not a great drafter i mean we could really pull out every player he has drafted give them a grade, that would be a waste though, he was on fire in denver for poor drafting. and i bet you look at some of those drafts you can understand why. there is a reason beyond JMD out team sucked. just tell me what good Defensive playr did he draft outside of trevor price. answer none. no one in or out really helped our D and thats why we sucked. and jmd did not do anything to help a horrible D

well hillis was a steal i didn't list him cause he left to early same with potis bt tehy should count. i am more jsut stating that he is not a great drafter i mean we could really pull out every player he has drafted give them a grade, that would be a waste though, he was on fire in denver for poor drafting. and i bet you look at some of those drafts you can understand why. there is a reason beyond JMD out team sucked. just tell me what good Defensive playr did he draft outside of trevor price. answer none. no one in or out really helped our D and thats why we sucked. and jmd did not do anything to help a horrible D
He drafted Dumerville who did pretty well in the 3-4

in his few years he has been a bright spot and should have gone hire tehn the fourth round. it did well, enough along with Darrent Williams, but other then that.

JArvis Moss

Tim Crowder

marcus thomas

was our same d-line upgrade see how that worked out.

we could really pull out every player he has drafted give them a grade

Been there. Done that. http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?340839-Tale-of-the-Tape-Mike-Shanahan-s-Draft-Record-vs.-Belichick-(and-Colbert)-(and-the-Snyder-Redskins

I think you are making too strong a claim. To say Shanny has made a lot of mistakes on draft day would be true, as it would be for almost anybody. But to flat say Shanny sucks at drafting is just plain wrong. Shanny drafted a lot of guys who had good pro careers.

Here are some:

Al Wilson, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Desmond Clark, Deltha Oneal, Ian Gold, Kenoy Kennedy, Clinton Portis, DJ Williams, Tatum Bell, Ryan Harris, Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Peyton Hillis, Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Trent Williams.

Shanny has usually gotten productive players out of the draft, which is as good as anybody can really do. I feel like you expect every draft pick to be an all-pro, which just does not happen. If you can manage even a 50% success rate in the draft, with success being defined as players who go on to produce in the NFL, then you are doing really well.

If you have come to bash Shanny's drafting ability, you probably won't have much luck persuading people around here. Most of us are very happy with this year's draft class.

As an aside to this, I always thought Denver fans were a bit silly in their animosity toward the only coach to win them a Super Bowl. I also thought Denver made a huge mistake getting rid of Shanny, who seemed to make the playoffs every year there. Not only that, but the timing of his release was terrible. He was just finishing a rebuild. I still think that was a dumb move. But, oh well, Denver's loss is now our gain.

(Quick question that has nothing to do with the topic: What is the story of your screen name? I keep reading it as, "OK, you suck an Eggo," but I do not think that is what I am supposed to see. Is it?)

the fact you have annoys me.

Olandis Gary, Tatum Bell, Trent Williams.

Tatum Bell was a horrible runner, horrid i tell you. gary was a one year wonder, one year is not a successfull career, williams is to early to tell.

the fact you don't have Terrell Davis on that list. is an auto failure. Trevor Pryce again you don't have him. what about matt Lepsis he was a good Ot for a while. you have some horrid player then you leave off some of the best he drafted.

go look at his drafts from 00-05 they are horrible. and he started the rebuild in 06 the d in 07 and did a horrible job rebuilding the D

not to mention how many DC went threw the gate cause of him.

the fact you have annoys me.

Olandis Gary, Tatum Bell, Trent Williams.

Tatum Bell was a horrible runner, horrid i tell you. gary was a one year wonder, one year is not a successfull career, williams is to early to tell.

the fact you don't have Terrell Davis on that list. is an auto failure. Trevor Pryce again you don't have him. what about matt Lepsis he was a good Ot for a while. you have some horrid player then you leave off some of the best he drafted.

go look at his drafts from 00-05 they are horrible. and he started the rebuild in 06 the d in 07 and did a horrible job rebuilding the D

not to mention how many DC went threw the gate cause of him.

Where should I start with this post?

I will try to be nice, even if you did say my post was an "auto failure" (which sounds to me less like something that might happen on a message board and more like something that might happen when I'm out driving my car).

You are right about the players I did not mention also being good. I did not mention anybody drafted before 1999.

As far as the players I did mention, I agree that Tatum Bell and Olandis Gary were not that great, but I still think they were good draft picks. As for Trent Williams, I think he is pretty good, but maybe it is too early to tell. Also, what about the rest of the players I listed?

Again, you seem to think every draft pick should be an all-pro, which is just unrealistic. The reality is that if your draft picks make it in the NFL at all you are doing pretty good.

Also, you yourself mention several good picks made by Shanny, yet continue to say he is bad at drafting.

Lastly, maybe you are on to something about Shanny and the defensive side of the ball. Our defense certainly fell off last year.

well he has improved. his rebuild when davis went down around brian greise failed miseribly though. he didn't draft any D-line talent before a late round and swaped through D-cords in denver. and then when he does all of them bust. i am not saying bad about jenkins, but i would not be surprised if he busts. hopefully haslet picked him out.

kyousukeneko, first off, welcome to ES. You are arguing a point that has gone back and forth on here since Shanahan was hired by the Skins, so there is a TON of back info that's already been looked at.

If you look at the thread Socrates listed, it compares Belicheck, Shanahan, Kevin Colbert (the Steelers GM for the past decade), and the Skins. Shanahan and Colbert are far and away the better drafters, not necessarily for picking all-pros but even just for picking guys who are productive in the league. I don't expect Shanahan to rebuild the Skins to their glory days in two or three years, and anyone that does is reaching, IMO, but he is a very good drafter compared with the better drafting teams in the league, the Patriots being one of them, again IMO.

We've got other threads that put his draft record up against Bill Polian and some others, but I don't know where they're at. All pretty good reads though.

Trent Williams right now is a bottom half of the league left tackle and if he play the same exact way this year then he could possibly be heading down bust road...

And how do you back that up? For a rookie, he did a damn good job against a murderer's row of pass rushers.

Are we REALLY impressed that Trent is above Doug "I let my man go" Free, and a broken down David Diehl? Trent is #2 by default. Its nice to hear and see but let's be realistic, being ahead of those 2 guys doesn't exactly scream legitimacy. We as fans love to hear good press about our guys but let's temper it with realism glasses. It means he's better than a broken down has been, and a guy who won't have a starting job in 3yrs. Ill puff my chest about Trent when he's on a top 5 NFL list, Ill feel comfortable about him when he's on a top 10 NFL list. Until then if anything I hope this motivates him to become better.

Archived