Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HVAC - air filters- all marketing BS or the real deal?

da#1skinsfan

Those of you with experience here or folks who have done research - been pondering this q for a while. Does it really make a difference in terms of air quality and HVAC longevity by buying the $20 3M filters (or more) versus the $1 fiberglass filters? I understand there are various parameters to consider, mainly airflow restriction and filtration ability....but what should I be using in my home? Is it worth it to pony up for the expensive filters?

There's definitely a difference. You get what you pay for. And why would you want to go with cheap filters, when it can have a direct affect on the quality of air in your home? Besides, those 3M filters aren't really even that expensive.

---------- Post added June-11th-2011 at 06:39 PM ----------

If you have hardwoods, I highly recommend the better air filters.

There's definitely a difference. You get what you pay for. And why would you want to go with cheap filters, when it can have a direct affect on the quality of air in your home? Besides, those 3M filters aren't really even that expensive.

Fiberglass filters are less than $1. Standard pleated filters are $4 each. The 3M filters are $20 each. Its not the money, "besides they arent that expensive" doesnt explain why they should be used...I guess thats the question - CAN it have a direct effect on the quality of the air in your home, or is that just marketing BS or an assumption based on common sense? Im sure someones done some research on this, reviewed comparison tests, determined if all these buzzword "electrostatic HEPA" blah blah is actually meaningful in any way.

---------- Post added June-11th-2011 at 06:39 PM ----------

If you have hardwoods, I highly recommend the better air filters.

Why?

HEPA removes smaller particulates much better than electrostatic or standard filters....just depends on what you want or need

Is tap water good enough or do you want distilled?...or do you settle for filtered?

HEPA removes smaller particulates much better than electrostatic or standard filters....just depends on what you want or need

Is tap water good enough or do you want distilled?...or do you settle for filtered?

Its a good analogy. My answer would be, if there are documented benefits to one over the other, what are they, and are those benefits proven and tangible?

I keeping with that analogy...filtered water may remove 100 bad things from water vs the tap water process which removes 10. So filtered water has a 10x advantage, sounds great on paper. But if the worst stuff for you is still in the water, and there are 10000 other bad things....do I really care and is it really worth it to drink filtered water when, with it's 10x more cleanliness, still doesnt make a tangible impact to the overall goal of removing contaminants?

Same for air filters. I don't know the answer, hoping people who have done some research here or work in the industry do.

Archived