Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Tax Troubles for DeAngelo Hall

stwasm

Uh-oh!

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall is so far behind on his property taxes that Northampton County, Virginia, has begun the process of seizing the property and selling it at auction.

Northampton County Treasurer Cindy Bradford told the Daily Times that Hall owes $24,202.06 in delinquent taxes, including penalties and interest for 2008, 2009, and 2010.

The back taxes are on Hall’s property in Cape Charles, Virginia, which is assessed at $1.3 million. Hall still has several months to come up with the $24,202.06 before the county sells the home at auction.

For the rest, click here!

D. Hall can't lose this property over 25K, I mean who wouldn't buy in for that ? Does Va. sell the tax cert.'s like Florida? You usually buy them once a year for about 60%-70% of the value and then hold a lein with interest on the property and it gets settled when sold.

You're going to start seeing more of the stories the longer the offseason goes. This one is just Hall not managing his money, as NFL players aren't paid in the offseason I don't believe. But wait until the lockout drifts into paycheck time (hopefully it doesn't). A ton of players are going to be in this situation.

i'm sure the issue is not that hall can't come up with 25k.

i'm sure it's more of an issue of him forgetting to get someone to figure out his taxes fo rhim.

embarassing, but as long as he pays it then it wont be a big deal

You're going to start seeing more of the stories the longer the offseason goes. This one is just Hall not managing his money, as NFL players aren't paid in the offseason I don't believe. But wait until the lockout drifts into paycheck time (hopefully it doesn't). A ton of players are going to be in this situation.

Yup...and the OWNERS are just waiting for the players to break from the financial stress and start to pressure D .Smith and the PA to make a deal.

At first I didn't feel bad for the players. They had millions and millions. If I had millions, then blah blah blah blah.

This is, fortunately for them, all that they know. A lot of them come from places where they lived paycheck to paycheck or from a culture wherein one's status was defined by one's possessions. I don't know why I thought, and why others think, that hitting 18, 21, 22, 23 automatically makes you cognizant of all of this when almost everyone around you is trying to manipulate you into giving them money.

Like KDawg said, as the funds dry up and aren't replaced, a lot of these guys are getting in trouble.

Should we take up a collection for DHall? Here's my .02...Contractually, Hall received $8 million—a $7 million signing bonus and $1 million in base salary—for playing eight games for Oakland and $23 million in guaranteed money with a maximum value of $55 million with us. He'll be fine.

Should we take up a collection for DHall? Here's my .02...Contractually, Hall received $8 million—a $7 million signing bonus and $1 million in base salary—for playing eight games for Oakland and $23 million in guaranteed money with a maximum value of $55 million with us. He'll be fine.

The problem with your analysis is it completely ignores the out of control spending that so many of these professional athletes do. They refuse to accept that their careers only last a few years and do not plan/budget for their futures. What good is $31 million if he spends $32 million.

The problem with your analysis is it completely ignores the out of control spending that so many of these professional athletes do. They refuse to accept that their careers only last a few years and do not plan/budget for their futures. What good is $31 million if he spends $32 million.

Patrick Ewing's infamous quote when he was a rep for the league during the labor negotiations..."yeah we make a lot of money but we spend a lot of money too". There is no problem with my analysis, it's just that half these guys will be broke within 5 years after they're done playing.

This what happens when you use PFT as a "source."

If you read the actual article,

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20110611/ESN01/106110304

you find out that they have no mailing address to send the tax bills. They sent a bill to the address listed on the deed, but it was returned with no forwarding address.

The fact that he never actually received a bill for those taxes is a pretty important piece of information to leave out. It completely changes the nature of the story.

Of course, it sounds much more "exciting" to imply that DeAngelo Hall can't afford to pay his taxes.

you find out that they have no mailing address to send the tax bills. They sent a bill to the address listed on the deed, but it was returned with no forwarding address.

The fact that he never actually received a bill for those taxes is a pretty important piece of information to leave out. It completely changes the nature of the story.

Of course, it sounds much more "exciting" to imply that DeAngelo Hall can't afford to pay his taxes.

Common sense prevails.

tons of athlete spend before they even sign a contract... I bet most of the top 15 picks have already...

1) Bought Tons of Jewelry + Cloths...

2) Bought a SUV/Sport Car...

3) Bought an expensive house...

Their Agents will get people to loan them the money at high rates

But for this, I think its just a matter of Hall not knowing or not even thinking about the property, or his accountant messed up

non-story. who really concerns themselves with a player's financial business? That's their business, and we don't even know the whole story. Would have been nice for the reporter, if they actually gave two ****s, to seek out Hall for a comment, perhaps there is an actual reason why he's not paying it, but it's PFT/Florio, so all you get is implications that anything having to do with the Skins is just abysmal in all aspects. Yawn.

Ah yes....the devil is in the details. DH must have someone handing his expenses....usually his agent....you would think that some accountant would have wondered after three years why there was no property tax bill.

Haha don't hate me because he's overrated

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/deangelo_hall_sammy_baugh_and.html

[Hall] can't keep up with his taxes, even though he makes the $$$.

you're obviously not following the thread. he never received the bills. I'm sure he'll pay them ASAP, but has likely been preoccupied getting ready to intercept more passes.

Archived