Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marko Mitchell still unclear why he was cut by the Redskins

TonyMania

Did he say anything about the Lions or the Vikings?

After being drafted by the Redskins following two standout seasons with the University of Nevada, Mitchell, fouryear contract in pocket, had suited up for 10 games in 2009, catching four passes.

^^^

I'm wondering if this had something to do with it?

Mitchell doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that what was wrong may have just simply been that he isn't NFL caliber. 3 NFL teams gave him a shot, Redskins were the only ones to hold onto him for more than a month. He has talent, but he could have been poor at route running or knowing which routes to run on specific plays, it could be he wasn't getting ideal separation. But without explanation from teams and now playing in the CFL likely means he simply wasn't NFL caliber. As a WR from Nevada he should be happy, IMO, that he even got a shot in the NFL.

Well, reading the article, he's not crying over spilled milk. He comes off as bewildered and curious so he can correct any perceived short-comings so he can have a professional career. I don't fault him for that, but hindsight is 20-20. He probably had an opportunity to ask such questions each time he was cut, but he was probably too shocked/hurt to think about such things in the heat of the moment.

I wish him well. He does have NFL talent, but perhaps not NFL dedication. He can probably hold onto a spot in a lesser league due to the talent alone.

he was cut because he cant play.

Yep, pretty much if you are cut from an NFL team, that means the coaches feel you are not the best option. I would agree that sometimes coaching staffs make errors but the fact he never hooked up with another team (and there were many who needed a WR), kind of indicates that those coaches made no error.

Did he say anything about the Giants or the Vikings?

After being drafted by the Redskins following two standout seasons with the University of Nevada, Mitchell, fouryear contract in pocket, had suited up for 10 games in 2009, catching four passes.

^^^

I'm wondering if this had something to do with it?

Or the Edmonton Eskimos? This guy should come back and run for office. Never has a player been so endeared and yet so undeserving. I wonder what Marcus Mason, Leigh Torrence, and Colt Brennan think of the situation.

"I did great."...

...Then, boom, he got cut. "I was upset, hurt," says Mitchell. "I was caught off guard. A lot of fans, they were upset by it. A lot of people, they're still upset to this day.

:ols: :ols: :doh:

I suspect there's a part of him that looked at our roster of receivers last year and thought... Roydell Williams? 38 year old Joey Galloway? That shrimp Austen? How could I not rise to the top of that group? The best we had was Santana and a very surprising kid from out of nowhere named Armstrong. It's shocking that he couldn't make more of a dent in that line-up too. I guess they hoped that of the talls Devin, Kelly, and he... he was the one with the least invested, but sheesh... if you couldn't make the Redskin receiving roster last year, then you really got to hope that college degree was worth something.

Anthony Mix is gonna kick your ass! :mad:

Bring it on Mix :finger: :evilg:

---------- Post added June-10th-2011 at 04:13 PM ----------

Or the Edmonton Eskimos? This guy should come back and run for office. Never has a player been so endeared and yet so undeserving. I wonder what Marcus Mason, Leigh Torrence, and Colt Brennan think of the situation.

You know Leigh Torrence still plays for Williams in New Orleans....at least he is still on an NFL roster. Maybe Marko can play in the UFL....oh wait....they don't want him either.....

Are touchdowns and speed good enough? How did Brandon Lloyd look in his time here?? And he was actually given a chance to play...

Nobody ever questioned Lloyd had a ton of talent, he just had a effort and priorities problem. He finally put it together in Denver.

I would probably agree that in all likelihood, Marko is not really NFL ready and coaches saw that.... BUT, I have to say, I've never really agreed with the logic that after a player gets cut by his first team, that the mere fact that other teams didn't pick him up and hold on to him means he is trash for sure. We've all seen this a million times. If you are not a proven quantity or a rookie draft pick, the road in front of you is steeper than anybody else. It's like a stigma gets attached to you that performance in practice just can't overcome. The one thing I can say is that we regularly heard about Marko torching our CBs (even our starters) in practice. OK, so maybe he's a practice player like Taylor Jacobs... but that doesn't add up because every time he was put into a preseason game -- no matter what quarter -- even when it was all starters -- his performances stood out.

It is very probable that he showed something in practices that the coaches didn't like -- but I understand the frustration of not being told what it was. And a part of me tends to think, if a reason isn't given, maybe it's because the reason is goofy like -- this guy is not a proven quantity in the league, is not one of our draft picks (Allen and Shanahan didn't draft him) and so we'll just go with the guys we drafted and the veterans we brought in -- we don't need to give this guy a serious look. I mean, even Devin Thomas got a reason.

Bring it on Mix :finger: :evilg:

---------- Post added June-10th-2011 at 04:13 PM ----------

You know Leigh Torrence still plays for Williams in New Orleans....at least he is still on an NFL roster. Maybe Marko can play in the UFL....oh wait....they don't want him either.....

That's Super Bowl champion Leigh Torrence to you Mr. SonnyandSam. The new guy will be Justin Tyron and why oh why did we trade him..

Archived