Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DM: How just ONE mobile phone can make a plane crash, leaked study reveals

China

How just ONE mobile phone can make a plane crash, leaked study reveals

Using just one mobile phone or electronic device during a flight can cause a plane’s systems to shut down, a leaked study has found.

A single Blackberry or iPad can cause the auto pilot to disengage and critical warning lights to come on, testers discovered.

The instruments which guide pilots in bad weather can also be affected by the electrical signals from such devices - with potentially catastrophic consequences.

A confidential study by the the International Air Transport Association, a trade group representing more 230 passenger and cargo airlines worldwide, found that over six years there were 75 separate incidents which caused concern.

A previous probe by the UK Civil Aviation Authority found just 35 safety alerts blamed on phones over the same time scale.

The IATA experts called for passengers to stop ignoring warnings about electronic devices because they could cause the plane to crash.

Confidential tests by Boeing have revealed that the worst offender for electronic interference was the iPad, followed by the iPhone and the Blackberry.

In tests just one of each device left on sent out hidden signals which were well above what Boeing considered safe to fly on.

ABC News reported that of the 75 incidents, 26 affected the flight controls including the autopilot and landing gear whilst seventeen affected navigation systems.

Some 15 caused problems for communications systems and 13 produced electronic warnings, including some for the engine.

The study also included pilot testimony such as one chilling account which read: ‘At about 4500 ft, the autopilot disengaged by itself and the associated warnings/indications came on.

Click on the link for the full article

Then why hasn't it ever happened, that we know of ?

Of the 1000's of flights every day, you KNOW there's people cheating on practically every flight, and sneaking their phone out.

Yeah, and each and every one of them need to be punched in the mouth. Can't stand idiots.

If this is really true, airplane manufacturers should be held criminally liable for building such ****ty vulnerable electronics systems.

Recalling the quote:

If carpenters built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Yeah, and each and every one of them need to be punched in the mouth. Can't stand idiots.

you are that guy on the plane that takes it is as his personal responsibility to police the plane for anybody who might not follow the rules immediately and to the letter because he actually believes that it is a life or death situation every time someone send out a wireless signal while the plane is taking off/landing. Sorry but IMO you are the one who needs to be punched in the face. The rules are there for a reason and they should be followed but it is not as serious as your paranoia would seem to represent. It is a cabin control issue and a security issue. it is necessary to have everyones full attention with no devices being used when the plane is in its vulnerable stages of flight. This is to keep someone from trying to intentionally damage the flight with a device that looks like an avg wireless device while the plane is vulnerable. If there was even a remote chance that wireless signals could crash a plane unintentionally, they would never even let them on the plane. So avg joes squeezing out one last text message or finishing dloading a movie to watch while in flight pose no risk. I do not care what the study says.

Do everyone you fly with a favor, relax, and mind your own business. You are going to be fine.

Yea, but during take off and landing, you can't use ANY electronic devices.

Then, after takeoff, you can only use approved devices, like WiFi

Erm... the "approved devices" are supposedly the ones that knock out autopilot. Funny how that doesn't seem to be a factor.

you are that guy on the plane that takes it is as his personal responsibility to police the plane for anybody who might not follow the rules immediately and to the letter because he actually believes that it is a life or death situation every time someone send out a wireless signal while the plane is taking off/landing. Sorry but IMO you are the one who needs to be punched in the face. The rules are there for a reason and they should be followed but it is not as serious as your paranoia would seem to represent. It is a cabin control issue and a security issue. it is necessary to have everyones full attention with no devices being used when the plane is in its vulnerable stages of flight. This is to keep someone from trying to intentionally damage the flight with a device that looks like an avg wireless device while the plane is vulnerable. If there was even a remote chance that wireless signals could crash a plane unintentionally, they would never even let them on the plane. So avg joes squeezing out one last text message or finishing dloading a movie to watch while in flight pose no risk. I do not care what the study says.

Do everyone you fly with a favor, relax, and mind your own business. You are going to be fine.

Dude, not sure how you got all that out of my short post earlier. Jump to conclusions, much? First off, I don't even fly that much. But when I do, I have enough sense to follow directions. How difficult is it to shut off your phone when you're on a flight? No one is that damn important. There are always idiots that can't follow simple instructions, everywhere you turn in life. Are you admitting to being "that guy"?

Btw, I love how you are the authority on what is safe or not safe, as far as electronic devices on a plane.:doh: I should have stopped reading right there.

If this is really true, airplane manufacturers should be held criminally liable for building such ****ty vulnerable electronics systems.

More specifically if this were true the entire TSA would be liable for criminal negiligence for letting a single wireless device on the plane. The idea that not allowing people to use them would be be sufficient protection if they were indeed dangerous is laughable. This cannot be true.

Couple of thoughts:

So this "study" was a survey of pilots reporting anomalies like autopilots disengaging at 4500 feet... How do they know someone's crackberry caused that?

Also-

The RF spectrums used by cell and wifi are well-defined and well known. I have a hard time accepting that emissions in those bands could cause electronic interference.

Partially because planes are probably inundated in external sources of those types of signals constantly when they're close to the ground during landing and takeoff. If your wifi-emitting ipad is going to cause trouble, how about the 2764 home wifi networks the plane passes through in the neighborhood at the end of the runway, or the cell tower it flies over on the next hill?

Sounds like balderdash to me.

More specifically if this were true the entire TSA would be liable for criminal negiligence for letting a single wireless device on the plane. The idea that not allowing people to use them would be be sufficient protection if they were indeed dangerous is laughable. This cannot be true.

Ever think that maybe they tell you not to use a electronic device, because if everyone did, it would actually pose a risk? Did that ever cross your mind?

Ever think that maybe they tell you not to use a electronic device, because if everyone did, it would actually pose a risk? Did that ever cross your mind?

They tell you they won't lose or molest your bags and that they care about you as a customer, but they don't believe that when they say it either, do they?

Dude, not sure how you got all that out of my short post earlier. Jump to conclusions, much? First off, I don't even fly that much. But when I do, I have enough sense to follow directions. How difficult is it to shut off your phone when you're on a flight? No one is that damn important. There are always idiots that can't follow simple instructions, everywhere you turn in life. Are you admitting to being "that guy"?

I think that stating that anyone who does not follow the rules should be punched in the face is sufficient to demonstrate to me that you are one of those guys who takes the rules too seriously. Yes i have several time times used my phone a few moments after they have been asked to be shut off. Usually I follow the rules and most often I do have my phone off exactly as It should be. The idea that those few times where i sent out an extra text or two after the "bell" somehow endangered the lives of the people on the plane or justified a need for me to be punched in the face is insane, Once or twice I have caught the eye of a "airplane superhero" and I can say that he did believe i was endangering his life and would have been happy to punch me in the face for it. I assumed this was how you would feel too, and expressed my concern with it, if this was incorrect i apologize. if not, then I stand by my statement of absurdity.

Then why hasn't it ever happened, that we know of ?

I take it you didn't read the full article?

Phone interference was cited as a possible factor in a 2003 crash in New Zealand in which eight people died after the plane flew into the ground short of the runway.

The pilot had been calling home.

i can't totally denounce the study, but I used to work in avionics (airplane communication electronics) for years, and we NEVER saw any affects from cell phones on the equipment. i'm not saying it's not possible, but it should really be very low on the list of things to be concerned about when flying.

I think anything that can potentially disrupt the aircraft shoud be way up on any list of concerns.

You typically don't get second chances when an airplane ****s up.

~Bang

just my $.02, but when i'm flying i'm more worried about a flying bear through the windshield than a cell phone taking down the plane.

And I'm sure those folks weren't worried about a flying bear at all.

Point is, if it's at all possible, why screw with it at 30,000 feet?

~Bang

You don't get it, Bang....the security measures at the airport don't really make us any safer, the safety instructions before takeoff are completely irrelevant, and cell phone usage causes zero problems when used during any part of the flight. It's just the imbecile airport employees making up stuff for ****s and giggles. Everyone knows that. :yes:

Archived