Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Digital Spy: 'The Wire' Creator Hits Out At Attorney General (Holder Asks For New Season, Producers Tell Him To End War On Drugs First)

Hubbs

I think that's a fair trade:

The creator of HBO drama The Wire has hit out at recent remarks made by US Attorney General Eric Holder.

Holder recently urged David Simon and co-producer Ed Burns to produce a sixth season of the acclaimed series, which ended in 2008.

However, in an email to The Times, Simon angrily criticized the US government for its "misguided" war on drugs.

"The Attorney-General's kind remarks are noted and appreciated," he wrote. "I've spoken to Ed Burns and we are prepared to go to work on season six of The Wire if the Department of Justice is equally ready to reconsider and address its continuing prosecution of our misguided, destructive and dehumanising drug prohibition."

(Also, I'm pretty sure that nobody other than the writer of this article has ever heard of the phrase "hit out" before.)

I love David Simon's work but he is also a raging *******. His self-righteousness is a little bit out of control.

No doubt. Simon proves that entertainment makes for best propaganda. But with his current show Treme, self-righteousness has completely swallowed up the obvious quality of his work. He's abandoned any pretense of entertainment. Blah.

The Wire was a great show but it was just entertainment. A diversion from reality.

Archived