Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roster talk: Predict the 2011 starting lineup.

s0crates

QB - V.Young, Beck, Grossman

RB - Torrain, Helu, Williams

FB - Young

TE - Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

WR - Hankerson, Armstrong, Moss, Paul, Austin, Banks

LT - T. Williams, Heyer

LG - Lichtensteiger

C - Rabach

RG - D. Joseph

RT - J.Brown, R. Harris

DE - Carriker, J. Jenkins, Jarmon, Golston

NT - Cullen Jenkins, Albert Haynesworth - another season of the drama

ILB - Fletcher, Henson, Riley

OLB - Orakpo, Kerrigan, Alexander, C.Wilson

CB - Nnamdi Asomugha (bargain deal - lol -fingers crossed),Hall, Barnes, Gomes

SS - Landry, Horton

FS - Atogwe, Moore, Doughty

K - Gano

P - Daniel Sepulveda

I wouldn't be surprised about Young from a player skill set point of view, but I think the move undermines what Allen & Shanahan are trying to build here. Haynesworth is gone, one way or another. I saw a hypothetical trade that sends Haynesworth to Denver or Kyle Orton; which would be a dream come true, but I doubt it happens. Asomugha doesn't fit our defense; I'd rather have Joseph from the Bengals. Cullen Jenkins would be a nice pick up. Just my :2cents:. :)

I just threw that in for ****s and giggles - haynesworth and Nnamdi :)

Though, some of our resident insiders think they are going to sit Haynesworth on the bench for a year (that might have changed, dunno).

I think the skins will be agressive in free agency - look at the cap room we have.

I think that roster was pretty realistic (minus Nnamdi - that's just me hoping for that to happen) - and if it did happen, I think Bruce would have a pretty good deal in place (which means it likely won't happen - he'll probably goto Dallas).

Whether we like it or not, I think they are going to target QB, lineman, NT and corner in free agency. I just might not have the players right.

It's ok to be agressive in free agency, as long as we aren't overspending and giving out 100 million dollar contracts.

Um, why bring in James Jones when we already have Anthony Armstrong?

He and James Jones are the same type of recievers. I think, if Jones becomes available, he'll make the team over Armstrong, you'll have Shanny's draft picks in Hankerson and Paul, you bring back Moss because he is the veteran and leader of the recieving corp, Banks, because Shanny loves him, and Kelly, because he is the only big guy that we have on the roster.

HAIL!

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

WR S. Moss, Hankerson, Paul, Kelly, James Jones, Banks

You don't think Anthony Armstrong will make the team?

I like Armstrong, I think he has a good head on his shoulders and he plays well, but I just don't see him coming back on to the team. Especially if an upgrade is available out there. That, coupled with the fact that Shanny wants "his guys" in here, it just doesn't look good for him, unfortunately.

Only real certain change on offense will be at QB. It will likely be Beck but you shouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be Grossman. Starting RT will likely change to Harris but by the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new C. Wouldn't be totally shocked to see us bring in a guard in FA but I don't expect us to unless someone out there is available, cheap and knows the basic system. I expect that Moss will be resigned. Hard to say who will actually start at RB since we may go committee or Torrain may be the primary back the first part and Helu may be phased in. On defense, the biggest change will be that Kerrigan starts but I would not be surprised if Jarvis takes a spot. The only real mystery on defense is at CB opposite Hall, right now I'll say Barnes unless something changes and I could see a big FA acquisition here. Would not be shocked to see Rocky back as the lockout may preclude options here but expect it to be Riley or Henson.

QB: Grossman

RB: Torrain

FB: Young

WR: Armstrong, Hankerson

TE: Cooley

LT: T. Williams

LG: D. Joseph

C: Lichtensteiger

RG: M. Williams

RT: J. Brown

DE: Jenkins, Carriker

NT: Bryant

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan

ILB: Fletcher, Riley

CB: Hall, Barnes

SS: Landry

PS: Atogwe

PK: Gano

P:???

I like Armstrong, I think he has a good head on his shoulders and he plays well, but I just don't see him coming back on to the team. Especially if an upgrade is available out there. That, coupled with the fact that Shanny wants "his guys" in here, it just doesn't look good for him, unfortunately.

Shanahan was the guy that was amazed with Armstrong's play on film, and if i remember right - he said right away "Who's that guy". I would completely consider Armstrong a Shanny guy, and wouldn't be surprised if he got a 3 year deal or something. Not sure what it is now.

QB Young, Beck, Grossman

RB Torain, Deangelo Williams, Helu, K. Williams

FB Vonta Leach, D. Young

TE Cooley, Davis

WR S. Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong, Paul, Kelly

LT T. Williams

LG Lichtensteiger, eventually Montgomery

C Rabach, eventually Lichtensteiger

RG Capers, Hurt

RT Ryan Harris

OLB Orakpo, Kerrigan, C. Wilson

MLB Fletcher, Riley, Henson, Alexander

DE J. Jenkins, Carriker, Haynesworth, Jarmon

NT Aubrayo Franklin and Neild rotation

CB D. Hall, K. Barnes, J. Joseph

FS Atogwe, Gomes

SS Landry, Russell

K Gano

P Kapinos

PR Paul

KR Paul

Here are my three questions marks:

CB: Of course Deangelo Halls has one spot, but who gets the other? Do we re-sign Rogers, pick up a FA, or stick with what we have?

NT: Who plays NT? Hopefully not Haynesworth, but who? Will Chris Nield be able to start? Do we go with Anthony Bryant? Kemoeatu? Maybe a free agent?

K: Do we really stick with Gano? Count me as skeptical about him.

I have no idea about CB, NT, or K at the moment. I think those positions need to be addressed somehow for sure. But how?

CB & NT are question marks for me also.

I'd also add ILB. We have Fletcher, who is in his final year, then nothing proven at all. Can't help but think we'll look to bring someone in. Can anyone advise on how / if Barrett Ruud would fit the 3-4?

Think we stick with Gano, but read a link to Brad Maynard (Bears) for Punter for what thats worth.

He and James Jones are the same type of recievers. I think, if Jones becomes available, he'll make the team over Armstrong, you'll have Shanny's draft picks in Hankerson and Paul, you bring back Moss because he is the veteran and leader of the recieving corp, Banks, because Shanny loves him, and Kelly, because he is the only big guy that we have on the roster.

Why? None of what you said here makes any sense to me whatsoever.

QB: Grossman, Beck

RB: Torain, Helu, K. Williams

FB: Young

WR: Moss, Armstrong, Hankerson, Paul, Robinson

TE: Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

LT: Williams, Oldenburg

LG: Lichtensteiger, Montgomery

C: Rabach, Cook

RG: D. Joseph, Capers/Hurt

RT: R. Harris, Heyer

DE: Carriker, Jenkins, P. Daniels, Jarmon

NT: Bryant, Kemo, Neild

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Wilson, Jackson

ILB: Fletcher, Henson/Riley, Alexander, Blades

CB: Hall, Barnes, Buchanan, Westbrook, Thompson

SS: Landry, Horton

FS: Otogwe, Moore

K: Gano

P: Someone who sucks

KR: Paul

PR: Banks

Shanahan was the guy that was amazed with Armstrong's play on film, and if i remember right - he said right away "Who's that guy". I would completely consider Armstrong a Shanny guy, and wouldn't be surprised if he got a 3 year deal or something. Not sure what it is now.

Well, I think it's a little different when you look at last years free agent class and stack it up against actual selections he made in the draft. He'll also have a couple of opportunities to bring in a free agent or two, but I only see one wide reciever that may interest him and it would be more of a supporting cast/up and comer like James Jones. Obviously he's had issues with his hands, but he's gotten better.

I would see us being more interested in big men and defensive backs. J. Joseph being one and maybe a Davin Joseph being the other (depending on the rules). It all depends on which FA rules we are working under. And don't get me wrong, I love continuity and would prefer we keep Armstrong, but my gut tells me he's gone.

HAIL!

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 09:34 PM ----------

Why? None of what you said here makes any sense to me whatsoever.

If you look at Shanny's offenses in the past, each of his recievers was a different type. Marshall, Lelie, Royal, Stokely...all different types of dudes.

Armstrong and James Jones are the same types of guys. Fast, and medium sized. Jones runs cleaner routes, has more experience/upside, and is bigger than Armstrong. He is an upgrade. Shanny would choose him over Armstrong in a second. And Shanny wouldn't keep two of the same player. Is that a little better?

HAIL!

QB: Beck, Grossman, Devlin

RB: Torain, Helu, Williams

FB: Sellers, Young

TE: Cooley, Davis, Paulson

WR: Moss, Armstrong, Hankerson, Paul, Robinson

LT: Williams, Oldenberg

LG: Steiger, Monty

C: Rabach, Monty

RG: Joseph, Cook

RT: Harris, Heyer, Capers

DE: Carricker, Jenkins, Jarmon, Holiday, Daniels

NT: Bryant, Neild

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, White

ILB: Fletch, Alexander, Reily, Henson

SS: Landry, Doughty

FS: Otogwe, Gomes

CB: Hall, Johnathon Jospeh, Barnes, Thompson

KR/PR: Paul

K: Prater

P: Paulescu

LS: Sunberg

Offense

QB: Beck, Grossman

RB: Torain 1A, Helu 1B, Williams, Rookie FA

FB: L.Vickers

WR: Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong,Paul, Robinson, Austin

TE: Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

LT: Williams, Capers

LG: Lichtensteiger, Hurt

C: Rabach, Montgomery

RG: FA, Hicks

RT: Brown, Capers,Hicks

Defense

LE: Carriker, J.Jenkins

NT: K. Jenkins, Bryant, Neild

RE: C. Jenkins, Golston

LOLB: Kerrigan, Alexander

ILB: Fletcher, Riley, Henson,Alexander

ROLB: Orakpo, Wilson, White

CB: Hall, J. Joseph, Barnes, Thompson

FS Otogwe, Gomes, Moore

SS: Landry, Doughty

No predictions for the kickers, I just believe there needs to be change. I also think we will stick with Brown as RT because he will see after his play last year that his services won't get him a big LT contract, and I believe that he did improve as the season went on. Gomes' and Alexander's versatility will save us the roster spots needed to carry an extra RB and WR.

I just counted and I have one more spot any suggestions?

QB: John Beck, FA Dan Orlovosky, rookie: Adam Froman/ Jerrod Johnson

RB: Ryan Torain, Roy Helu #2 on a bullet with butterfly wings, Keiland Williams, James Davis

FB: Darrell Young, Mike Sellers

TE: Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen

WR: Santana Moss, Anthony Armstrong, Malcolm Kelly, Leonard Hankerson, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks

OL: Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, FA: Samson Satele, Will Montgomery, RT: FA, Stephon Heyer, Selvish Capers, Oldenburg, Eric Cook

Options: Marshall Yanda, Jamaal Brown, Jeremy Trueblood, Jermey Clary, Brandon Dombrowski, Charlie Johnson, Tyler Polumbus

DL: Adam Carriker,FA: Justin Bannan, Anthony Bryant, Jeremy Jarmon, Chris Neild, Jarvis Jenkins, Darion Scott

LB: (ROLB) Brian Orakpo, (LOLB) Ryan Kerrigan, London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson, Robert Henson, Lorenzo Alexander

DB: DeAngelo Hall, Kevin Barnes, Chris Houston, Brandyn Thompson, Byron Westbrook

S: FA OJ Atogwe, Laron Landry, Reed Doughty, DeJon Gomes

Practice Squad: Nile Paul and Aldrick Robertson

QB: Rex Grossman?, John Beck, FA?

RB: Roy Helu Jr., Ryan Torain, Keiland Willaims

FB: Mike Sellers, Darrel Young

TE: Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen

WR: Santana Moss?, Anthony Armstrong, Leonard Hankerson, Terrance Austin, Malcolm Kelly/Niles Paul

OT: Trent Williams, Ryan Harris?, Artis Hicks, Selvish Capers

OG: Kory Lichtenstiger, Davin Joseph?, Eric Cook

C: Interstate 61, Will Montgomery

NT: Anthony Bryant, Chris Neild

DE: Adam Carriker, Jarvis Jenkins, Vonnie Holliday, Jeremy Jarmon, Darren Scott

OLB: Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rob Jackson, Chris Wilson?

ILB: London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Robert Henson, Lorenzo Alexander

CB: Deangelo Hall, Kevin Barnes, FA?, Byron Westbrook, Reggie Jones

SS: Laron Landry, Reed Doughty

FS: OJ Atogwe, Kareem Moore

K: Graham Gano/UDFA?

P: Sam Paulescu/UDFA?

LS: Nick Sundenberg

PR/KR: Brandon Banks

This was my guess/hope for the 53 made on May 19th.

Players with ?'s by their name are not currently under contract.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 10:08 AM ----------

FYI DG, Jerrod Johnson signed a UFL contract and will not play in the NFL this year.

If you look at Shanny's offenses in the past, each of his recievers was a different type. Marshall, Lelie, Royal, Stokely...all different types of dudes.

Armstrong and James Jones are the same types of guys. Fast, and medium sized. Jones runs cleaner routes, has more experience/upside, and is bigger than Armstrong. He is an upgrade. Shanny would choose him over Armstrong in a second. And Shanny wouldn't keep two of the same player. Is that a little better?

HAIL!

AA - 5'11, 182

JJ - 6'1 208

AA, as we know, runs somewhere in the mid-4.3s in the 40 *EDIT* my mistake, he ran closer to the mid 4.2s.

JJ has run between 4.54 to 4.59

JJ's highest career YPC average is 14.4, AA had almost a 20 YPC average

AA is just over a year older than JJ with less tread on his NFL tires. And his season last year (as essentially a rookie) was better than anything Jones has put up in a 4 year career.

I really have trouble seeing your case for how they are the same type of receiver OR that JJ has more upside than Armstrong. And, like I've said before, I don't even think Armstrong is that good and he'd be better suited to be a slot receiver/3rd option.

Plus, Shanny put Armstrong on the roster when no one else gave him a shot and no one had even heard of him before camps.

In addition, a quick google search of each players' name followed by "route running" shows that Jones is perceived to be a lazy route runner and Armstrong has drawn "rave reviews" during OTAs for his route running skills.

LT: Trent

LG: Lichtensteiger

C: Remains Rabach, despite fans clamoring for his head. Call it a hunch.

RG: Montgomery

RT: Brown is out. We sign free agent Ryan Harris, who Shanny drafted in Denver.

Man, this brings tears to my eyes.

John Beck

Torain Helu Royster

Darrell Young

Armstrong Hankerson Robinson Paul Austin

Cooley Davis Paulson

Trent Heyer

Corey ?

Rabach Cook

Montgomery Hurt

Capers ?

Carriker jarmon