Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The infamous Belichick resigning at his NYJ hiring press conference, Jan 4, 2000.

HailGreen28

On Jan 4, 2000; Bill Belichick attended the NY Jets press conference on his hiring as Head Coach the day before. He surprised everyone there by resigning, citing the uncertain ownership situation the Jets had at the time. Belichick was hired as Head Coach by the NE Patriots on Jan 27.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/01/04/archive/main146017.shtml

Belichick insisted he is not burned out after 25 years in pro coaching, but he said the uncertainty surrounding his place in the organization dictated his decision.

"I just don't feel I can lead the Jets in the year 2000," he said in a stunning announcement at the Jets' training complex in Hempstead, N.Y. "I just know what I need to do. I just don't feel I can do it right now."

"It is not about the future, it is about the situation I am in now," he added.

My question is: What was Belichick's real reason for quitting the Jets? Was it the Jets ownership battle going on? Would one of the competing ownership groups have fired Belichick if they had won the Jets? Did the Pats offer more money or control? Did Belichick and Parcells have a falling out? Or some other reason or combo above?

He is narcissistic and Kraft offered him not only more $ but control. Parcells would have still been his boss with the Jets. He screwed over the Jets pretty well and it sure worked out well in New England.

So he's narcissistic because he chose to go to a better situation? Yeah, that's fair to just label him because he's one of the best coaches of all time.

New England had better zoom lenses.

That was my guess too.

Robert Kraft: "You come here, and you can do whatever you want to win."

Billicheat: "Can I cheat?"

Kraft: "I'll look the other way as long as we win."

So he's narcissistic because he chose to go to a better situation? Yeah, that's fair to just label him because he's one of the best coaches of all time.

He didn't just choose a better situation, as if he had one or the other at the same time. He essentially blew off a team that was good to him in a very ****ty way, after agreeing to become the coach.

One of the best coaches of all time? Eh ...

Ah no. The narcissistic traits that he displays are why I labeled him. I don't know if your labeling him as one of the greatest coaches of all time is accurate. He has done very well and come along way from his days in Cleveland. He is an excellent strategist.

Some of you guys really need a beer to help wash down those sour grapes you've ate. Say what you want about BB, but he was obviously smart enough to know that the Jets situation was not a good one. He must have noticed the similarities to what he saw in Cleveland. And, let's not pretend that he made a mistake or screwed over the Jets. He did what is right for him, as history has proven, and no one should blame him for that.

Plus, let's take a look at the so-called greatness of the fat ass who is truly overrated, Bill Parcells. Parcells has never EVER accomplished anything as far as playoff victories, championships, or titles without have Bilicheck as his defensive coordinator. BB carried BP, probably into the hall of fame. Why would BB want to have to work for such a crappy organization in disarray, and under a guy he obviously knew enough about to know first hand how power-hungry and overrated he is. So, instead, he gets a fresh start and wins four more championships and three more titles. Meanwhile, the Tuna doesn't win another playoff game in the rest of his football career. Without doubt, BB is the better coach and he made the best decision for himself, his family, and his career. Why should anyone question his motives on that?

He must have noticed the similarities to what he saw in Cleveland. And, let's not pretend that he made a mistake or screwed over the Jets.
5 years and 36 wins in Cleveland spelled failure.

The Jets had given Belichick a big raise to keep him with the organization because he was their Parcells heir. When Parcells stepped down it was a given Belichick would be named. He was and accepted for a day...Then shockingly quit, hence the comment regarding him screwing the Jets over. Ask a Jet fan lol.

It was a combination of Kraft pushing to get BB with disregard for league rules, $ and Parcells announcing he was going to stay on as GM translating to keeping some personnel decisions from BB that led him to leave.

Archived