Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new CBA better make this lockout worth it.

88Comrade2000

Well, if we want the preseason to start as normal and still allow time for free agency, the CBA needs to be signed, sealed ,delivered and APPROVED by July 1st. You would have mad July of free agency and then training camp as normal.

Instead of waiting for a ruling, the owners and players need to be having more secret meetings now and getting a deal wrapped up asap. You also want a deal that's fair to both sides; so one party won't decide to end it after a couple of years, like owners did with the last one.

I do know, this new CBA better have made this lockout worth it. This lost offseason better have not been for nothing. I really doubt some of radical changes will occur but we will see a fine tuning to make things better.

Increased benefits for current and retired players.

In return for a rookie wage scale, you will probably see shorter terms for free agency and you may see a couple of more rounds of the draft eliminated.

Expansion of the season will be DOA. You will probably see preseason cut one game, 2 byes to have a 16 game season played over 18 weeks, and probably expansion of playoffs to 14 teams.

I think you will see another TV package with another network.

Just fine tuning and nothing major.

Well, if we want the preseason to start as normal and still allow time for free agency, the CBA needs to be signed, sealed ,delivered and APPROVED by July 1st. You would have mad July of free agency and then training camp as normal.

Instead of waiting for a ruling, the owners and players need to be having more secret meetings now and getting a deal wrapped up asap. You also want a deal that's fair to both sides; so one party won't decide to end it after a couple of years, like owners did with the last one.

I do know, this new CBA better have made this lockout worth it. This lost offseason better have not been for nothing. I really doubt some of radical changes will occur but we will see a fine tuning to make things better.

Increased benefits for current and retired players.

In return for a rookie wage scale, you will probably see shorter terms for free agency and you may see a couple of more rounds of the draft eliminated.

Expansion of the season will be DOA. You will probably see preseason cut one game, 2 byes to have a 16 game season played over 18 weeks, and probably expansion of playoffs to 14 teams.

I think you will see another TV package with another network.

Just fine tuning and nothing major.

I don't think any more rounds of drafting will be eliminated. 7 is good as is. Teams have an active roster of 53 on day one. 7 draft picks (assuming no trades or compensatory picks) would mean you are drafting to replace 13% of your roster.

That's about on par with the NBA, also. The max roster size in the NBA is 15, and they have two rounds of the draft. If you have the max roster, and both draft picks, you are drafting to replace 13% of the roster.

I know it's not necessarily "to replace." Just go with me here.

Major League Baseball has like 70 rounds or something. I think I was drafted one year and didn't know it :silly: I also don't know the number of rounds in the NHL draft. But both MLB and the NHL have farm systems, so that's how they develop players. It's not as OJT as it is with the NFL and NBA.

That 13% number is (I think) about the average turnover for any given NFL roster in any given year. That's why 7 is such a good number to keep the draft at.

While I don't think we'd see a reduction in the number of draft rounds, I could see the elimination or reduction of comp picks. Since the big thing seems to be about the cap, if the owners win, I can see the owners throwing out face saving bones like this to the players.

The new CBA is worth something to two parties - the owners and the players. To the fans, it's just something the two warring parties fought over that will probably affect the 2011 season.

There's a huge money pie out there called NFL Football. The lockout is simply the owners trying to get a bigger piece of the pie. The only way to do that is to lessen the portion of the pie that goes to the players. The lockout only affects the players monetarily after the season fails to begin, since they already received last seasons's paychecks. So it's unlikely the players will fold until the season begins. The newly drafted players are living off loans from their agents and aren't even allowed to talk to the owners, so they are nothing but poor college students at this point, just like all the other recent graduates.

The biggest problem that both parties face is that there is an inevitable shrinkage in the pie as the fans gradually begin to find other venues to fill up their available time. Both parties feel their product is not replaceable and the customers will come back. Maybe they're right. But only time will tell how much smaller the pie is.

Archived