Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets play "What If?" with the last decade

hail2skins

I'm glad a couple people brought up the '07 Seattle game. I know it wasn't a game away from the NFC title game like in '05 but a very winnable game in my opinion. Anthony Mix recovered that kickoff inside the 30(?) and we came away with ZERO points. The Cooley play definitely sticks out in my mind. Also the '07 Giants game, Ladell Betts was dead to me after that. Hated RB by committee that year. Not sure but I believe I started a thread about the importance of that game going in comparing to a similar game against the G-men in '03 that we lost in OT. Not saying we would have finished where the Giants did had we won that one but that's the point of this game isn't it?

My biggest what if is what if we had a capable offense and didn't squander the championship level defense we had here for a few years in the mid 2000s. I cringe thinking of all the times the D made a huge stop or caused a turnover to get the ball in a key moment and/or deep in opponents territory only to see the offense sputter, come away empty handed and give the ball back. Brutal. The '08 Pittsburgh game that someone brought up, we started on their side of the 50 twice in the 1st quarter and came away with 6 points.

A few more:

What if JCam didn't get hurt in that Thursday nighter against da Bears?

What if Brunell didn't throw an interception on the first drive of the preseason opener in '06?

What if Patrick Ramsey didn't get hurt in the season opener in '05?

What if Gregg Williams succeeded Gibbs 2.0?

This. Couldn't have said it any better. As for Stone Hands... I'll never forget the moment he dropped the Seattle pick.. the weather, where I was watching, what side of the couch I was on, and the shtick I got from my sister's Dallas fan in-laws. Pain.

Right side of the couch, my brothers living room, when Hasselbeck threw the ball.... I started jumping up and threw my hands in the air. I couldn't even yell the proverbial "Yes!" before he dropped it.... I couldn't even breathe.... I put my head in my hands.... ugh.... citizen high to citizen low in a less than a second.

And I'll go to my grave and say that play has haunted him ever since.

HAIL!

Way back in 1999 here are the things that I wonder about the last 12 years:

What if we actually supported keeping our own players with Snyder instead of thinking every other player other then a Redskin is better?

What if we didn't rely on FA's and instead drafted ourselves good players?

What if we didn't think we could always take chicken crap and make it chicken salad with the QB position and did things like tag the young up and coming Trent Green, kept Chase Daniels instead of Colt Brennan, or drafted a first round QB with our first pick (Aaron Rogers instead of Jason Campbell)?

What if we didn't care about jersey and ticket money and started caring about the offensive line? What if we did take more then one single offensive linemen in the first round and held onto our tradition and history as if it mattered instead of constantly crapping on it?

What if Sean Taylor wasn't there that fateful night?

What if this team never hired idiots overmatched for the jobs they were given like Steve Spurrier, Vinny Ceratto, or Jim Zorn and actually figured out how to hire quality football minds to run this team?

What if Snyder didn't spend the last 12 years gutting this proud team and history so much that we became the laughing stock of the league and actually cared more about this football team then how much money he made on his last tax return?

How bout this one....."WHAT IF" Gibbs brings in Free Agent Kurt Warner instead of trading for Mark Brunell ....to me the biggest issue that Killed Gibbs 2.0 from greater success than two playoff appearances in 4 years was the QB position. He had a guy who was washed up and one that was green in Campbell...if Kurt would have been signed I think things may have been different especially in 05 and 07

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 05:35 PM ----------

Can't knock ANYONE in the Trent Green situation....His last year with the Skins he finally got action after the team was what? 0 and 7? Anyway, With not know who the coach and OWNER would be....i would have left as well. The uncertainly in Washington is why Green left...He blew his knee out the following preseason anyway :)

How bout this one....."WHAT IF" Gibbs brings in Free Agent Kurt Warner instead of trading for Mark Brunell ....to me the biggest issue that Killed Gibbs 2.0 from greater success than two playoff appearances in 4 years was the QB position. He had a guy who was washed up and one that was green in Campbell...if Kurt would have been signed I think things may have been different especially in 05 and 07

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 05:35 PM ----------

Can't knock ANYONE in the Trent Green situation....His last year with the Skins he finally got action after the team was what? 0 and 7? Anyway, With not know who the coach and OWNER would be....i would have left as well. The uncertainly in Washington is why Green left...He blew his knee out the following preseason anyway :)

Warner signed with Giants and got benched for Eli and Brunell played well the following season(2005) while Warner had no impact in Arizona until Winsenhunt arrived. What killed Gibbs 2.0 was Al Saunders.

What if we had kept Stephen Davis and drafted Anquan Boldin instead of Taylor Jacobs?

We let Stephen Davis go at the right time. He had one good year with the Panthers and even then it was by committee and even THEN he got injured in the playoffs. The following year injuries pushed him off the Panthers and out of the league. Now Brad Johnson on the other hand.....

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 08:17 AM ----------

A couple things...JKC sticking with Casserly is light-years different than Snyder sticking with Cerrato. Casserly is a proven GM who is at least solid. Many of the cherry-picked players you mentioned were either insisted on by the coaches (Howard/Gibbs, Shuler/Turner) or over-dramatized in your post (Pourdanesh wasn't even drafted here and was never once mentioned or considered a cornerstone anything). I could give you many examples on the other side of the ledger (the Ricky Williams trade fleecing Ditka, drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, etc.). Also, Casserly was a life-long Redskin. That matters!

Ah, the great political tactic 101 among debate. If it's good, you did it. If it's bad, it was the other guy's fault. You can't have it both ways, you can't say he didn't have a hand in Shuler or Howard and say he had sole input it matters like the Ditka trade, etc.

1999 was the pinnacle of his existence as a GM because of Ditka's foolishness. I will even go a step further in that Jansen was a great draft choice that year as there was a major drop off in talent after the first round. Throw in how he also fleeced the Panthers in Sean Gilbert, getting us two first rounders out of it. Throw in drafting Andre Johnson for the Texans. But for every positive Casserly pulled off, he managed to work it into two negatives. And the result was a trend among the post Gibbs 90's Redskins and the Texans entire existence, zero playoff appearances. You can nitpick the good vs the bad, but the sum of the whole speaks for itself. Casserly can't build a winner. That's why he's doing the same thing Cerrato is doing now, armchair GMing from the sidelines. (TV)

Ah, the great political tactic 101 among debate. If it's good, you did it. If it's bad, it was the other guy's fault. You can't have it both ways, you can't say he didn't have a hand in Shuler or Howard and say he had sole input it matters like the Ditka trade, etc.

1999 was the pinnacle of his existence as a GM because of Ditka's foolishness. I will even go a step further in that Jansen was a great draft choice that year as there was a major drop off in talent after the first round. Throw in how he also fleeced the Panthers in Sean Gilbert, getting us two first rounders out of it. Throw in drafting Andre Johnson for the Texans. But for every positive Casserly pulled off, he managed to work it into two negatives. And the result was a trend among the post Gibbs 90's Redskins and the Texans entire existence, zero playoff appearances. You can nitpick the good vs the bad, but the sum of the whole speaks for itself. Casserly can't build a winner. That's why he's doing the same thing Cerrato is doing now, armchair GMing from the sidelines. (TV)

Well, to be fair, all I was saying was that the post I was replying to was intellectually dishonest and one-sided. I was evening the ledger by naming some of the good moves Casserly made (or was a part of). Of course he had SOME say in drafting Desmond Howard and Heath Shuler, though it's pretty much known that both were hand-picked by the coaches. My first couple lines explain what I think about Casserly, he was a solid GM. He made mistakes but also made some nice picks. I was hoping to show that sticking with Casserly would have been much different than sticking with Cerrato.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1999_roster.htm

The 1999 Redskins were poised for a decade of success. This roster was LOADED. They only needed help at safety

and a solid defensive coordinator just to control those guys. Probably would have beaten the Rams and gone to the SB

if they made that fg vs TB.

Turner and Casserly caught a lot of heat for five years to revamp that roster and Snyder ruined it FOREVER in one year.

No one was happy with John Kent Cooke but if he could have just held on for a few more years...

Holy flippin flashback, Batman.. How quick I was to forget Sellers was on that squad.

lemme try at it..

What if ST... :( ok im done

What if Gibbs didn't have to be saved the day Brunell was in town?

What if stone hands had hands? We would trade him for a running back.

What if Lavar's knee didnt KO Shaun Alexander, which opened the door for that no name RB/FB that killed us?

What if Shanny didnt go to the 3-4 last year, and build on a solid 4-3 instead? His win now attempt with McNabb may have had a chance.

What if our players actually played their guts out? Could you watch?

Archived