Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Snyder or JKC?

worstSeat

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What did Cooke do that Snyder doesn't? Did Cooke know football personnel better?

I'm going to say that JKC didn't know as much as Snyder but that's a good thing. He knew enough to stay the hell out of it and let football people handle it. Snyder knows enough to be dangerous. Let's hope he's got it out of his system for all our sakes.

Considering the VAST differences in results between Cooke's tenure as owner and Snyder's, I wonder if former GM Bobby Beathard could shed any light on the subject?

"He never once that I can remember interfered with any decisions we made. During the season he only came over to the office on Thursdays, and he'd come in, say hello, or sometimes you'd never see him. I don't even know if he ever went in the football part of [the building] back there except to say 'Hey guys, how you doing,' and that's it." – Bobby Beathard on Jack Kent Cooke

Considering the VAST differences in results between Cooke's tenure as owner and Snyder's, I wonder if former GM Bobby Beathard could shed any light on the subject?

"He never once that I can remember interfered with any decisions we made. During the season he only came over to the office on Thursdays, and he'd come in, say hello, or sometimes you'd never see him. I don't even know if he ever went in the football part of [the building] back there except to say 'Hey guys, how you doing,' and that's it." – Bobby Beathard on Jack Kent Cooke

The funny thing is that the first time around Beathard did a lot of the same things that Vinny gets skewered for. But with no salary cap and an unlimited budget it was much easier to bring in veteran depth. We always had great depth in the 80s. No need to pick and choose. Bring in guys like Gerald Riggs and R.C. Theilemann for depth. Trade all your high draft picks, no biggie.

The funny thing is that the first time around Beathard did a lot of the same things that Vinny gets skewered for. But with no salary cap and an unlimited budget it was much easier to bring in veteran depth. We always had great depth in the 80s. No need to pick and choose. Bring in guys like Gerald Riggs and R.C. Theilemann for depth. Trade all your high draft picks, no biggie.
I hear ya. The franchise's fervant fan base is its stongest resource. With no salary cap, we were able to use our wealth to bolster the team. That resource could still be used to bolster the organization. Although we can't load the roster any more than any other team can, we could have the best back office and strongest scouting department in the league. We had Vinny.

Just a question? Wasn't his son John Kent Cooke the owner for a little while?
Nope. Jack Kent Cooke could have put the ownership of the team in a trust for his son or left the team to his son in his will if he wanted to and/or thought he could pay the inheritance tax but he left the team to a foundation with instructions to sell it to the highest bidder. John Kent Cooke tried to buy the team but was outbid by the Milsteins and then El Diablo.

Nope. Jack Kent Cooke could have put the ownership of the team in a trust for his son or left the team to his son in his will if he wanted to and/or thought he could pay the inheritance tax but he left the team to a foundation with instructions to sell it to the highest bidder. John Kent Cooke tried to buy the team but was outbid by the Milsteins and then El Diablo.

Ohh, that's how it worked. So really, his son had no say in what the team did?

Although we can't load the roster any more than any other team can, we could have the best back office and strongest scouting department in the league. We had Vinny.

The sad part is that our owner actually is willing to give the team an advantage in circumventing the salary cap but his own involvement has undone any advantage we've had there.

Ohh, that's how it worked. So really, his son had no say in what the team did?
He might have been on the board of directors of the foundation but he wouldn't have had any more say in directing the team than any other board member.

The only reason Daniel Snyder owns the Redskins is because Jack Kent Cooke didn't indicate passing the ownership to his son John. Had that happened, the Redskins would be an entirely different team today.

Every time I hear this, I want to agree. Do anyone know of the where about's of John Kent Cooke or any business he has been associated with. Business records of him would give us a clue on how well he would manage the team on a business level. I'm not aware on his knowledge of football, but maybe a he picked up a thing or two from his father. Is there anyway John Kent Cooke could buy the team from Snyder with a group of other people? It would cost him a pretty penny. Maybe 1 billion? I'm not sure how much this team is worth but Snyder originally bought it for 800 million. The team has not improved much sense then. We've seen a few play off appearances, but nothing more than that.

If John worked hard enough, he could get this team back. It would take a big investment group, but I believe John could accomplish this.

Actually, a JKC in his current condition (desperately clawing at the lid on his casket) would be a more astute owner than Snyder.

Unless JKC was actually cremated...

Now that's funny. I actually believe you. It's just a shame how this team sits through losing seasons and all Snyder can do is sit back and count his money. As much as I hate to say this, Jerry Jones shows more concern for his team than Dan Snyder does with the Redskins. Having played football gives him an extra step over Snyder. Snyder is a business man with no knowledge of the field. This team needs someone who has actually watched the sport and has a good sense on how to make things work. Not someone who just sits back and jacks fans out of more money with parking and season tickets.

If Jack is watching right now, he probably wishes he could go back and time and leave the team in his sons name. He probably thought that someone with actual knowledge of the sport would buy the team. We may not have seen super bowls in the past 3 years, but we would have at least made the play offs more often.

Every time I hear this, I want to agree. Do anyone know of the where about's of John Kent Cooke or any business he has been associated with. Business records of him would give us a clue on how well he would manage the team on a business level. I'm not aware on his knowledge of football, but maybe a he picked up a thing or two from his father. Is there anyway John Kent Cooke could buy the team from Snyder with a group of other people? It would cost him a pretty penny. Maybe 1 billion? I'm not sure how much this team is worth but Snyder originally bought it for 800 million. The team has not improved much sense then. We've seen a few play off appearances, but nothing more than that.

If John worked hard enough, he could get this team back. It would take a big investment group, but I believe John could accomplish this.

Other than his last name being Kent Cooke, why would you want him to be owner?

---------- Post added June-12th-2011 at 02:35 PM ----------

This is ridonkulous.....if the NFL gave the team to majority holder Milstien, we would have paid Trent Green to stay but they hancuffed us....and John KC kept the Norvola virus.

As well as the Casserly strain...

Archived