Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Snyder or JKC?

worstSeat

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Pretty simple. JKC I believe had 5 SB app. (1 Allen, 4 Gibbs) and 3 SB trophies and numerous NFCE titles and playoff apps. Snyder, 1 NFCE title with 2 playoff apps. since. Go with the trophies.....JKC.

And yes, this thread is b/c of the lockout and nothing else to say about the Skins

Comparing Snyder to Cooke just isn't fair. He probably will never live up to it. Against the rest of the NFL, he's in the bottom 15, but probably not the bottom 5 or 10.

He's not going to touch the top guys like Kraft or Rooney or even Blank.

But he's not as bad as Weaver, or Mike Brown. I does feel that he wants to be like Jerry or Al Davis badly, which is awful. Jerry doesn't have Jimmy to build and coach those teams, and Al has lost his mind.

So, as Cali has stated numerous times in different threads, stop the irrational hate for 30 minutes and take a look at the entire picture. You might find that the intensity and amount of hate some of you have for a man who you don't even personally know is nowhere close to being warranted.

I don't hate Dan Snyder. I actually think the Redskins are on the right track, and he's the one that did the hiring.

There is, however, not one category we could say that Dan Snyder is better than Jack Kent Cooke. Not one. Even with all the handwaving, and taking away of Super Bowls, and other "to be fairs", at best, you'd get a tie. There is nothing that Dan Snyder can be said to have done or is doing that is better than Jack Kent Cooke, and Jack Kent Cooke had 3 Super Bowls.

The poll, therefore, is a slam dunk. There is absolutely zero reason for anyone, even Dan Snyder's mother, to vote for Dan Snyder.

I would've liked to have seen more of the Trent Green movie play out in DC.

However, you make a good point with mentioning the importance of the supporting cast, and I think that the loss of Michael Westbrook early in 2000 really hurt the offense that year. Even if Trent were still here and we had the same level of success in '99, who's to say that Snyder doesn't bring in JG anyway as an insurance policy and gets frustrated if Trent also struggled without Westbrook in 2000?

Good point on Snyder pushing for Jeff George anyways.

I've tried to think about what TK meant. While I don't think Green was that good, nor a guarantee to play as well for us as in KC...... If Green could play for us nearly as well for us till the mid 2000's, and we hit on half the draft picks we gave up on other QBs, and factor in stability at the QB position... that would have been a huge boost to us.

Maybe we should have had that sequel, H2S.

Good point on Snyder pushing for Jeff George anyways.

I've tried to think about what TK meant. While I don't think Green was that good, nor a guarantee to play as well for us as in KC...... If Green could play for us nearly as well for us till the mid 2000's, and we hit on half the draft picks we gave up on other QBs, and factor in stability at the QB position... that would have been a huge boost to us.

Maybe we should have had that sequel, H2S.

I thought Trent Green was our best QB when he was here.

I agree, losing him was the biggest fail in the future of our franchise..it is the biggest fail I have ever experienced.

I dunno, here's his basic numbers. LINK Nothing earth-shattering till KC. Brad Johnson and Kurt Warner were upgrades succeeding him.

I recall him being pretty good here, though...

Well he was a rookie.

Troy Aikmans stats don't appear that good in his first couple of year playing.

If you watched him play, which I assume you did based on age, he showed ability to takeover games and the ability to bring the team back when behind. He was a player.

We'd have Trent Green...maybe but JKC allowed the Norvola virus to hang around for way too long. If the league would have allowed Milstein to by the team then Green would have been resigned but that is the leagues fault, not Snyder's. Snyder's big fault(and he admits this) is firing Casserly over Norv. if he would have kept Charlie then things would have been different but he admits that.

Well he was a rookie.

Troy Aikmans stats don't appear that good in his first couple of year playing.

If you watched him play, which I assume you did based on age, he showed ability to takeover games and the ability to bring the team back when behind. He was a player.

More like a 5th year rookie, but yeah good point about him playing well his first starting season. Take over, not so much, IMO, but good.

We'd have Trent Green...maybe but JKC allowed the Norvola virus to hang around for way too long. If the league would have allowed Milstein to by the team then Green would have been resigned but that is the leagues fault, not Snyder's. Snyder's big fault(and he admits this) is firing Casserly over Norv. if he would have kept Charlie then things would have been different but he admits that.

Millstein was a clown and would have been a terrible owner. Not sure where you think the timeline with Green and Millstein ownership were in sync for him to keep him. That is nonsense.

---------- Post added June-4th-2011 at 11:04 PM ----------

More like a 5th year rookie, but yeah good point about him playing well his first starting season. Take over, not so much, IMO, but good.

5th year is a reach, but ok.

I'm not taking sides, but for the youngsters. JKC was no saint himself. He did plenty of embarrassing things. And he built FedEx Field which so many fans say they despise. He wanted to fire Joe Gibbs when he went 0-5 but was talked out of it by Beathard. And his worse failing was not leaving the Redskins to his son in his will which is how we ended up with Snyder. So you can blame JKC for us having Snyder as our current owner.

Could list lots of other mistakes, screw-ups and embarrassing moments.

Well, that's essentially why I tried the poll, though some smart-aleck decided to throw in a third option to shoot its only chance of being useful to hell. Am I (are we?) over-romanticizing JKC? Is Snyder really as bad in context as he seems to be? If you were going to slam JKC, what would it look like? You're starting to do what I'd hope I'd see. I'm only 38, so I don't have the same view of Cooke as others that have been around.

Of course when some of the posters think that JKC only had three Super Bowl appearances, well, you can see what sorts of institutional memory the board has as a whole.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that it's clear that board members don't care about anything, really, after wins. We'll get upset over changes in the stadium (eg, the old jumbotron) or MD/ND tickets turning into Kenny Chesney, but winning cures everything. I kinda expected more JKC history where he's not as good a dude as I remember, but instead nobody seems to care about either guy's business life.

I got The Last Mogul off of BetterWorldBooks.com last week to read through to see how off base I might be. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow.

Take out the 1982 and 1983 seasons, and there is not much difference in success between the two of them.

A hell of a two years, though. ;) But I think hail2skins showed the issue there.

That right there, if I had to put my finger on one single thing that manged to **** up this franchise for over a decade, that would be it.

I thought you were being sarcastic when I read this. No?

He's not going to touch the top guys like Kraft or Rooney or even Blank.

See, but why not? And did JKC as an owner rather than did the Skins hit the top as a team, which we know they did. What did Cooke do that Snyder doesn't? Did Cooke know football personnel better? Is it simply that Bethard was better than Cerrato? Was that luck or skill? And if they guy owns an NBA and NHL team, did he really know football? Was Cooke a better business manager? Or did the NFL just reward spending in the 80s in ways that don't work now.

I wonder if Snyder's spending would have been as successful as Cooke's if he was running the team in the 80s. You know, if roles were reversed and I grew up with Snyder winning 3 and then watched Cooke under the cap, would we be having the same conversation? Or is Snyder really a pisser and Cooke a squire? They're both self-made dudes. They both spend like mad on players. Did Cooke ever sign a specific player? Seems like Gibbs had to argue to get Riggins, right?

Honestly, the tie-breaker is Cooke owning the Lakers. Win.

OK, I can see where sticking with Trent Green would pay us huge dividends. Biggest obstacle to that may be "would Snyder stick with him after some adversity".

Would there have been adversity?

Brad Johnson wasn't better than Trent Green.

I think Norv would have been better with Green than BJ. BJ was a disaster here, but blamed everyone but himself.

I think Norv would have been better with Green than BJ. BJ was a disaster here, but blamed everyone but himself.

Wow. At least Johnson has a SB ring from a SB he played in.

But I think the deal is that Norv would've done better with either QB than All Madden Video Gaming Great Jeff George, and that's where we run back into the owner. Does it matter which QB he would have had when Snyder went on his Over The Hill Gang 2 FA tear?

??? I thought BJ was an upgrade over the QBs we had including Green the season before. Wasn't BJ run out of town after injury, along with Norv? (And the reason Snyder did it was to start Jeff George. :insane:) Johnson went on to won a Tampa SB with less supporting cast on offense than Green had at KC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BJ was run out of town because of inconsistency. I hated him. His press conferences after losses used to piss me off because he never took blame for stupid plays he made that cost us games. He had Norv disease when doing a press conference. BJ loved to deflect is poor performance onto the team as a whole.

BJ was nothing more than a placeholder for that Super Bowl. Tampa won with him, not because of him.

Archived