Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SF Chronicle - Patri Friedman (Milton's son) makes waves with 'seasteading' plan (aka floating libertarian nation 12 miles off the coast of California)

The Evil Genius

It' a Libertarians wet dream!

Personally, I am hoping they sail over to Alemeda and get stuck and sink is somewhat shallow water.

:ols:

p.s. You should read the article entirely first...this is only a small snippet. Also, is there any chance we can get Grover Norquist and the Kochs to sail off with him?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/01/MN1T1JB0FJ.DTL&tsp=1

Patri Friedman makes waves with 'seasteading' plan

Nellie Bowles, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Milton Friedman's grandson Patri has a vision that might have made the economist proud: to build a floating libertarian nation 12 miles off the coast of California.

Billed as "Burning Man meets Silicon Valley meets the water," the planned nation flotilla would be constructed on a variety of barges and water platforms within sight of San Francisco. It would include everything from homes, schools and hospitals to bikes for transportation and aqua farms for food.

Despite the widespread skepticism that the project is bound to invite, Friedman already has secured more than $2 million in venture capital for the development, which strives to create a free-market society in which members are free to form their own governing structures.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/31/MN1T1JB0FJ.DTL#ixzz1OE8VYgOk

LOL. I've been in the water 12 miles offshore of San Francisco on a whale watching boat. That area is called the "Potato Patch" and it is a freezing cold, foggy, shark infested, rough patch of ocean. The reason that it has so much wildlife is because the water current is welling up from the bottom of the ocean, full of nutrients. That's great for the fish and animals, but you freeze your dinghy off. There's a reason we don't get summer weather in San Francisco. Because it is always February in the ocean right offshore of San Francisco.

More importantly, even on clear days the ocean is rough. I don't mean 5 foot swells. I mean BIG swells, wide gradual 50 foot swells. The boat was 60 feet long, but it felt like a rowboat. First you were at the bottom of a pit of water, then you were on top of a mountain of water. Rinse and repeat. It was safe, it was not breaking waves or anything. Just huge, endless swells. Up up up up up up down down down down down down. We had an entire family from Iowa vomiting off the back of the boat for 4 hours straight, chumming the water for so long that we had blue sharks in our wake for most of the trip.

So I think that if you build a city out there, it is going to feel like you live on a roller coaster. In the Arctic. In the fog. And then the whole thing will break up from the wave action a month after you build it. Good idea. :ols:

You are right about needing to read the whole article. The guy sounds like a first class loon.

"I envision tens of millions of people in an Apple or a Google country," where the high-tech giants would govern and residents would have no vote. "If people are allowed to opt in or out, you can have a successful dictatorship," the goateed Friedman says, wiggling his toes in pink Vibram slippers.

I want to make a country with myself, conveniently, as dictator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBErf-YVI5s

Personally I wish them well. If they really want to experiment with their libertarian ideals, then by all means... let them go off and start their own "nation".

Hopefully they won't call on the Navy to save their ass when the whole thing goes south.

at this point almost any alternative to the present California is welcome. :(

California could be great again. All we need is a Constititional Convention, to get rid of all the initiatives (both conservative and liberal) and get rid of the right to bring initiatives at all. Go back to being a normal state, with legislators who have the power to pass laws, and who get voted out if the people don't like the laws they passed. You know, like the other 49 states.

LOL. I've been in the water 12 miles offshore of San Francisco on a whale watching boat. That area is called the "Potato Patch" and it is a freezing cold, foggy, shark infested, rough patch of ocean. The reason that it has so much wildlife is because the water current is welling up from the bottom of the ocean, full of nutrients. That's great for the fish and animals, but you freeze your dinghy off. There's a reason we don't get summer weather in San Francisco. Because it is always February in the ocean right offshore of San Francisco.

jnZuVuOWvIk

As much as I love the idea of a more libertarian place to live, but this seems pretty dumb and I wouldnt see any but the anarchist fringe element buying in, if it ever even happened at all.

I'll stick with trying to get our own nation back to what is was intended to be.

Nope, but I do have a shiny voter registration card and a few bucks to donate to people who I think will move in the right direction though.

So then, what you meant to say was that, "I'll stick with trying to get our own nation back to what I THINK IT was intended to be."

So then, what you meant to say was that, "I'll stick with trying to get our own nation back to what I THINK IT was intended to be."

No, I meant precisely what I said. Our history is very clear of the intended role of government.

---------- Post added June-3rd-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

Just like every other political activist.

Nope, not an activist here.

Haven't you seen that famous portrait of George Washington? Look carefully....

Ea7mW.jpg

Can't you see? He's pointing toward a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Why don't they just hire a private army to knock over a nation with a low population like Suriname in South America. Free market used to knock out a "government" just seems a fitting tribute to their views. Then they can create their Utopian no rules government that sells out entirely to business interests. I'm sure their free market military approach will conquer anything slow poorly run governments can throw at them in response to this modern act of conquest.

Why don't they just hire a private army to knock over a nation with a low population like Suriname in South America. Free market used to knock out a "government" just seems a fitting tribute to their views. Then they can create their Utopian no rules government that sells out entirely to business interests. I'm sure their free market military approach will conquer anything slow poorly run governments can throw at them in response to this modern act of conquest.

I'm certain that most mainstream libertarians would not advocate selling out to any corporate interests at all. And Predicto, you arent actually trying to claim that many of our founders were advocates of large federal government are you? Even the likes of Hamilton understood there needed to be limits. To pretend this isnt true is rather silly and dishonest.

Somalia is available. It fact, it already runs on purely libertarian principles.

Archived