Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

can anyone recommend a good memory foam mattress?

Skins_Fan82

Title explains it all. We've been to all the different stores, tried out the sealy and the simmons. Simmons is a good %50 cheaper, and seem to have good reviews.

Anybody own one that could chime in with opinions? I google searched the hell outta both brands and can't figure out which one we want...

Thanks in advance to any replies :)

The only thing I'll say is that if you're a hot sleeper, go with latex over the foam. The Foam conducts heat and in the summer you'll be sweating.

I read a lot of reviews saying that. Especially on the sealy. Simmons apparently doesn't hold heat as much. I get hot easily, and im afraid of having that issue with the heat...

I just went through all of this the last few weeks. I ran around and tried them all and did a lot of research on the net. Tempurpedic is the big name, but they are expensive, and because they are heat sensitive foam, they sleep very hot for some people, They also create a form fitting crater for your body that causes some people to wake up in the middle of the night when they try to shift around just a little and end up falling back into the crater, into the exact position you were just sleeping in. Tons of people love them, but tons of people also hate them and return them, more than any other line of mattresses. The new Tempurpedic "Cloud" line seems to have solved the cratering problem, but the heat issue remains. Plus, Tempurpedic does not allow stores to compete with each other on the price. It's like Apple products - everyone must pay full retail.

After doing my research, I got a Simmons Comforpedic. Simmons is very good quality in general, and the Comforpedic line was started by a couple of guys who left Tempurpedic to make their own improved version. The bed gets great reviews onlline. I rolled around on it for a long time, and it feels just as comfortable as any Tempurpedic, soft but with excellent support. The memory foam is pressure sensitive, not heat sensitive, so it doesn't get hot and it springs back quickly rather than cratering. Plus, stores are allowed to bargain on the price - and there always is a TON of profit margin built into mattresses. I was able to wrangle an Eastern King Mystic Plush for $1900, delivered and installed, no sales tax (don't need a boxspring). The Mystic is the top of the line and generally retails for $4500. Even online deals it is usually $3500. So haggle hard, there is room for savings there.

http://www.simmons.com/products/brands/comforpedic/collection/index.html

Simmons sells a Comforpedic "Fiji" mattress with a layer of gel on top, but I was not able to find one in a local store to test out. It seems kind of gimmicky, and adds a lot to the price.

The mattress is getting delivered on Tuesday. If you can wait to make your purchase, I will report back after my first full night of sleep.

The only thing I'll say is that if you're a hot sleeper, go with latex over the foam. The Foam conducts heat and in the summer you'll be sweating.

I was going to say something similer to this. However when I got my new memory foam mattress there was an option for "cool comfort technology" that I paid for, and I dont know exactly what it is, but I dont get hot under my memory foam mattress like I did with my last one. I think I got a Sealy, but im not 100% sure.

Tempurpedic is the best IMO. You can get them in different firmness construction so if you like a softer touch or a more firm quality to the matress, you can order it that way. They are the most expensive so you have to balance that. For the money, it may be more advantageous for you to spend less money and get a different brand. That's up to you. I can tell you that I have 4 kids plus my Wife and I and we all sleep on them. No complaints.

Archived