Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which NFCE rookie will contribute the most this year?

DWinzit

Kerrigan will be tops followed closely by Watkins, Smith, Amukamara and Hankerson

By team:

Cowboys - will get the most contribution from Smith because he's virtually forced to play and Murray who should play in 3rd situations giving him good offensive numbers both receiving and running the draw.

Eagles - I think Watkins will become a solid starter, Jarrett will show good tackle numbers but struggle in coverage and not play on passing downs, if 4th rounder Henry makes the team he is their kicker giving him good(?) stats, Matthews will become a very good selection.

Giants - Amukamara will be the #3 CB to start and hope to move to #2. He will top the rotational contributions of Austin and Jernigan. Years from now Brewer may turn out to be their best pick.

Redskins - Kerrigan and Hankerson will show immediate impact, Jenkins and Helu will be in rotational. Some day the NFL will be familiar with late round names Paul, Royster and Neild!

It's generally easier for offensive rookies to contribute than defense, just because as a rookie, you're adjusting to the speed increase of the NFL, and defense is read and react, the offense knows where the play is going.

That being my opinion, I would have to say Hankerson or Helu. Murray won't get into the rotation much right off the bat, as he was brought in for third-down situations primarily. Jernigan might, if he cracks into the rotation of the Giants receivers. He needs to excel though, in the slot. Dion Lewis of the Eagles has an uphill battle to get significant time. Hankerson (Hankerson more than Helu) should be the number 2 receiver on opening day, thus getting on the field more often, so by default he should be the most productive. Helu will be getting good time, but we'll be RBBC for the first few weeks, at least.

If I had to pick a defensive player, I would argue either Kerrigan or Amukamara, with Dejon Gomes being a sleeper. He was sneaky good at Nebraska, and could crack the opening day rotation as the nickle or dime back.

TRPB. What have you done to Mr Tweed? Stop this sorcery and return him this instant in his true Redskins form! It's not big, and it's not clever. It's just sick!

Hail.

dangit, did i post that? he must have put something in the water at my house after he stalked me from getting my ip address or something else really stupid that would only happen in mission impossible 9

dangit, did i post that? he must have put something in the water at my house after he stalked me from getting my ip address or something else really stupid that would only happen in mission impossible 9

Or just a few days ago over Xbox live...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgammasquad.uproxx.com%2F2011%2F06%2Fgot-beef-over-xbox-live-call-the-swat-team-on-your-opponent&ei=QgTpTZahBKjw0gHBn-yNAQ&usg=AFQjCNHxZAWBmBPf-fA8XrrlvzYGddUAtQ

Giants - Amukamara will be the #3 CB to start and hope to move to #2. He will top the rotational contributions of Austin and Jernigan. Years from now Brewer may turn out to be their best pick.

A few things to note on the giants:

If Smith is not ready to go when the season starts, it is possible that Jernigan could be the #3 on the giants opening day. Which is a bit more than a simple rotational player.

At DT, Cofield and Bernard could both be gone this year. Which would move Austin way up the depth chart at DT. He would still be a rotational player, but may be the #3 instead of the #4 or 5.

The wildcard for the Giants in the LB position. Of all the positions on O and D, the LBs are probably the weakest group of starters. It would probably be the easiest position for a Rookie to usurp a starter. Not that I expect either of the 6th round picks to start, I'm just pointing out that the current starters probably aren't as difficult to replace as some of the other positions on the field.

Of course any of these predictions are complicated by the lack of training camp/preseason. Coughlin and the giants tend to be pretty conservative with rookies. So if there is a limited tc/preseason, its unlikely any rookies will start week 1, rather they will be eased into the role over the season. This is especially true for Jernigan, b/c supposedly the giants passing game is pretty complicated when it comes to WR responsibilities. It may be something that might take a while for him to fully pickup.

Helu will absolutely be the biggest contributer for the Redskins. I love love love Hankerson, but RB's have the advantage over WR's as far as rookie seasons go. Kerrigan will likely be solid.. but the guy that most often will make you go "wow" is Helu I believe the 2011 Redskins will be known mostly for a monster running game with an improving defense.

I would put Helu as the biggest name to come out of this draft as far as accolades go in the NFCE. Smith and Watkins may be decent, but it would be hard to for them to get more recognition than a rookie RB who is running all over the field. I personally think that Prince will struggle mightily. His game was being physical with receivers down the field. He can't do that in the NFL. He will struggle to adjust.

So Helu and it won't be up for discussion.

Suck it rest of NFCE

At DT, Cofield and Bernard could both be gone this year. Which would move Austin way up the depth chart at DT. He would still be a rotational player, but may be the #3 instead of the #4 or 5.
I expect Austin to become the #3 DT as long as he stays focused and is willing to learn techniques and discipline. If he can due that his future will be bright with the other DL talent. I think he has a lot on his plate for this year.
The wildcard for the Giants in the LB position. Of all the positions on O and D, the LBs are probably the weakest group of starters. It would probably be the easiest position for a Rookie to usurp a starter. Not that I expect either of the 6th round picks to start, I'm just pointing out that the current starters probably aren't as difficult to replace as some of the other positions on the field.
I figure Jones will contribute on special teams and situational. Perhaps he shines and injury moves him up at some point.

Amukamura has the best chance, playing with that front four. Come on....

To all those saying Helu...I like him, but Casey Rabach is still our starting center. Same with Hankerson, I like him but our QB position looks almost as bad. Yes, thats right.Having no starting QB is better than having Rabach out there...

The biggest contributors will be the players that join an already assembled team, not a rebuilding one. Skins fans are delusional every year :D

I hope you guys are right, and Helu has 1000 yards. Just don't see it happening without some major additions to the OL in FA. I know Shanny is a miracle man in the run game, but Kyle isn't as balanced and our Oline is not (currently) the Bronco OLs of most of the 90s.

This could change after FA, though.

HTTR

Amukamura has the best chance, playing with that front four. Come on....

To all those saying Helu...I like him, but Casey Rabach is still our starting center. Same with Hankerson, I like him but our QB position looks almost as bad. Yes, thats right.Having no starting QB is better than having Rabach out there

With the question being who will contribute the most this year, players like Helu, Hankerson and Kerrigan may have better chances of starting then Amukamara meaning they may very well contribute more. I also agree with Big Blue Joe the Watkins has a real good chance...more then Amuk

Archived